[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG: M11 Prerelease

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 07:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I went to an M11 Prerelease yesterday, officiated by Dr. Jeebus. My sealed pool was silly. I had 4 bomb rares in the form of:

Garruk
Ajani Goldmane
Birds of Paradise
Vengeful Archon

Needless to say, I went G/W. I also splashed Red for a Fireball and a Fling. I had good creature support, and some nice beats in the form of Serra Angel, Yavimaya Wurm, and the 7/7 trample guy whose name I forget. Unfortunately, Fling and Giant Growth were pretty much the extent of combat tricks. No Blinding Mages, no Condemns, and Fog and Safe Passage just weren't good enough to put in the main deck.

Unfortunately, my friend pulled Baneslayer, and I had to play him first round. He was blue/white with all sorts of scrying and bounce, not to mention Silence, and I got terrible draws that didn't mull into anything better. He also had Clone and that giant Leviathan that turns everything into Islands and then Islandwalks. Somehow, he only took second place in the overall tournament. My brother will say it's because he ran Tome Scour main deck. He's probably right.

After losing Round 1, I played 2 terrible opponents who I beat easily. After beating my Round 3 opponent in under ten minutes, we played for fun with some constructed decks. I don't play Standard, so I played my multiplayer decks against his Standard decks. He beat me with Vampires and Elves, proving that any idiot can copy an aggro deck off the internet and win matches without any understanding as to how the game actually works. Multiple times he played a land before untapping.

Round 4, I played another one of my friends. We went to time in Match 3, and ended up tying. One more turn, and he would have won.

Round 5, I played another guy who had a 2-1-1 record. I think his deck was pretty good, but I couldn't really tell. He got landscrewed both games and my deck finally accelerated the way it was supposed to. First game, I had out Vengeful Archon by Turn 5 with Birds and Llanowar Elves while he was stuck at 3 lands. Game 2, I got out Garruk on Turn 5 and then dropped guys faster than he could deal with them.

I ended up in 4th place, which I was fairly happy with. My friend that I faced in Round 4 took 5th.

My other rares from my sealed pool were: Phlactery Lich and Leyline of the Void

My rares from my prize packs were: Leyline of the Void, Leyline of Anticipation, Jinxed Idol, and Nantuko Shade.

I don't have any Leylines of the Void, and I've been wanting them. I was hoping for a Reverberate and maybe a Red Leyline, but overall I'm pretty happy with what I pulled.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 09:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bah. I'll try and make the next one, I just found out about all this awesome vacation time I have.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Safe Passage is probably the best common in the set for limited, so you should never be saying it's not good enough for your deck.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Really? My general understanding was that Fog effects are a 22nd card if you need one. I understand that it's better than Fog by a long shot, but still. I don't remember seeing anyone ever play it in M10. Certainly not everybody's favorite ranked player. Makes me feel dumb. I had TWO of them.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice.. I haven't messed with m11 yet... I should check if the cards i'm missing from mainly mirrodin will be in there. I think i'll leave my deck as is for now. With the 2 mirrodin cards i have. I have a SB card in kamizawa but not really important easily replaced. IF you want to use mirrodin for your decks, or Kamizawa or Ravinca feel free. I just have only made one extended deck, and i'm trying to adapt it to my new options, and i think i can given some time. I'm already have in mine some cards in Eldrazi that could do a really good job and in some ways a better job than what i was currentl using (since i built my extended deck before eldrazi), I'll work on updating it, in the mean time if there's anyone that wants to play i'll be in my own Syd_Lexia chat room.. all you do is join the standard sydlexia web chat client dealio (which you can find in UsaSatui, signature), then once your in type /join #Syd_Lexia to find me, or you can /Msg JonSnow hey hey... to find me as well on there.

Edit: If my opponent cares that I use Mirrodin, i'll change it, if they're fine with it I'll just play with what i have for now (i will be editing it coming up here). I just like to play with the cards i'm used to, and deck i built, which a lttile while ago I was playin' just fine with. I haven't taken the time to revise it fully yet.

edit2: Just played a m11 6 sealed, was interesting, i lost sadly, went 1-2. White seems still full of utility, black showed some neat stuff. I liked the program making it easy to filter cards by mana cost or color. So you can just start by looking at like red and be like do any o f these cards have potential etc... convienient set up, and no wi know how to set up the drafts and sealed.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Really? My general understanding was that Fog effects are a 22nd card if you need one. I understand that it's better than Fog by a long shot, but still. I don't remember seeing anyone ever play it in M10. Certainly not everybody's favorite ranked player. Makes me feel dumb. I had TWO of them.

I think a lot of people forget that it is not a Fog or Holy Day. It works the same, but only for you and your creatures.

I don't know how many times it has saved my neck, especially against deathtouch decks.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

not to mention the fact that fog has been, to me at least, a solid card and holy day as well. fog has saved my ass many a time throughout the years and for one mana? you could do worse, especially when youre outnumbered

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The thing about Fog is that it doesn't change the board. Basically, it buys you one extra turn. If you've got shitty board position, Fog is just delaying your inevitable loss. Safe Passage is lot more versatie.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 01:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The thing about Fog is that it doesn't change the board. Basically, it buys you one extra turn. If you've got shitty board position, Fog is just delaying your inevitable loss. Safe Passage is lot more versatie.

This. Sometimes all you need is that one turn. But Safe Passage also lets you possibly whittle away some attackers as well, and it can also stop that 10-point Fireball.

In addition, if a good player suspects you may have a Fog, they'll play around it.
Medisinn
Title: King Awesome
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

It'll be nice when the Vampboner finally stops. My MtG league is started to become overrun with relatively lame Vampire decks, although for a beginner to use they're fairly effective. 2/3 deathtouch flying assholes with lifelink for 3 mana ruin my life.

I haven't researched this set at all, not even sure I'm going to be able to sport the money for a fat pack. I can't remember from M10...is this a set where they just reprint a bunch of older ones, or is it still a mixture of oldies and newies?

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
In addition, if a good player suspects you may have a Fog, they'll play around it.

It's like a story that Richard Garfield told once in the Duelist, from the early days of Magic. Garfield is at 4 life, and he's playing a reanimator deck against his friend. His friend swings at him with some classic fatty, possibly Shivan, for lethal damage. The friend asks Garfield if he has Fog. Garfield says no. Friend then empties his hand, casting double Giant Growth and double Berserk. Then Garfield plays Fog. Shivan dies, Garfield reanimates on his turn, and proceeds to use the momentum shift to win.

Lessons learned:

1. A player is not compelled to be truthful about what's in their hand unless a spell or effect forces them to.
2. Never assume your opponent isn't holding tricks.
3. Never do more damage than you need to.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I remember the story, and I remember the creature was a lot more mundane than a Shivan. And I thought the question was more along the lines of "No Fog?" than "Do you have..." Rich was just plain giving up, but the opponent wanted to rub it in.

But what I meant mostly was, if you see a green mana open, you're probably not gonna swing all out and leave yourself open to a lethal counterattack. Fog may delay the game one turn, heck, even 3 or 4, but it's not gonna win it for you unless your opponent is pretty stupid.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I want to say that it was either Serra, Sengir, or Shivan. It definitely had base power of either 4 or 5. May not have flown.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

but sometime people play cards on given turn, like boosters or something else, and now they're wasted, cuz of fog. Fog is good.. and sometimes one turn is all that matter, since some decks have counters or thing that happen over time. You do lose a draw though, if you end up just using it to buy a turn.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Found the actual story: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af134 ...it was Grizzly Bears, of all things.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Found the actual story: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af134 ...it was Grizzly Bears, of all things.

I stand corrected. That's cool that the old magazine articles are online.

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:
The thing about Fog is that it doesn't change the board. Basically, it buys you one extra turn. If you've got shitty board position, Fog is just delaying your inevitable loss. Safe Passage is lot more versatile.

but sometime people play cards on given turn, like boosters or something else, and now they're wasted, cuz of fog. Fog is good.. and sometimes one turn is all that matter, since some decks have counters or thing that happen over time. You do lose a draw though, if you end up just using it to buy a turn.

Well, in Standard, there was a Turbo Fog deck. It wins by milling people out, and uses Fog x4 and Angel Song x4 as stall tactics. It's not top tier. I don't think it's viable now that Howling Mine is going to be out of Standard.

In Limited, Fog is a 22nd or 23rd card. A Limited deck should be 17-18 lands and then 22-23 spells, most of which are creatures and removal, with some planeswalkers, equipment, exceptional auras, and tricks thrown in. Unless you're playing Mono Green, you should have a better card to play than Fog. Blue, White, Red, and Black all have better answers. And if you're playing Mono Green, you're probably going to lose. Badly. Green generally lacks the evasion and removal necessary to win. Sure it can cast big creatures fast, but other colors can cast removal just as fast.

Giant Growth is strictly a better card than Fog in Limited. It's a trick on offense, it's a trick on defense, or it's an extra 3 damage to your opponent's face. Let's say your opponent casts Giant Growth to kill one of your blockers and you Fog. Big deal. They've still got all their creatures.

I will say this: in multiplayer, I'm a big fan of Constant Mists. Reusable Fog is a good way to make friends.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, M11 doesn't interest me that . There are few cool new cards, but they feel more like more filler for decks I have that already too full and nothing that makes me want to build anything new. The only cards I'm kind of excited about are Stormtide Leviathan, Serra Ascendant and Liliana's Caress. It's just silly that they printed Megrim at one less.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, the fact that there are new cards in core sets is mindblowing to me. Back in my day, the core set was nothing but reprints. WHITE BORDER reprints.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 03:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Giant Growth is strictly a better card than Fog. It's a trick on offense, it's a trick on defense, or it's an extra 3 damage to your opponent's face. Let's say your opponent casts Giant Growth to kill one of your blockers and you Fog. Big deal. They've still got all their creatures.
---

I wouldn't compare the two exactly like that, since like you said, there are decks that prefer to have fog in it, like that mill deck. So you can't say Strictly, strictly implies in all possible cases imaginable that it's better.

Your claim, and it's probably true in all cases that are probable or practical Giant Growth is better. Not only if you use it defensivley, you destroy a creature (likely) unlike fog, but you can use it offensively as well. and you can use it as a form of additional damge to get lethal damage. It's a good card.

It has more versatility then fog, and in many practical scenarios there is overlap in their use. So giant growth is generally better than fog. I'm getting technical.

I'm getting pretting good at 6 sealed now for M11 set... i've been playin 4-5 6 sealed games a day. Strangley enough i find myself going tri-color, which goes against all my playing philosophy, especially when it comes to 6 sealed.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My bad. In Limited. Giant Growth is strictly better in Limited.

In sealed, sometimes you have to go three colors. And if you open Fireball, always play it. Even if red's not a viable color for you, throw in a Fireball and two Mountains.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 04:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, I like that they're putting new cards in core sets, 2010 was awesome. But that's my point, 2010 had a ton of new sweet cards in it, 2011 not so much. Granted, a lot of the new cards from 2010 were reprinted in 2011, but the new new cards just aren't as exciting it seems.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 04:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like the Titans. I like the Leylines, but my favorite one's a reprint.

I would have liked the dual land set expanded to 10.

The new vampire lord sucks.

The new skeleton is pretty cool.

I like Hoarding Dragon a lot.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 08:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That green guy with Regen is soo OP... And that Crystal Ball.. soo good (with the scry 2)

and the whisper cloak is so sick... Great for sealed.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Cloak is a reprint from M10, but yeah, it's a bomb in Limited. Which regen guy? Cudgel Troll? He's a reprint too...
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Whispersilk Cloak has been a dear friend of mine all the way back to Darksteel.

And, I have discovered that it even fits Eldrazi quite well...
Reply to topic

Jump to: