[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Most overrated games ever

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 04:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

NotEnoughGolds wrote:
But was Halo a groundbreaking console FPS?
Did it have the best console FPS graphics?
Did it have the best console FPS controls?
Did it have the best console FPS multiplayer?

1. Debatable
2. Debatable, and largely irrelevant
3. No
4. Debatable
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 06:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

idk. the controls in all the Halo's were very spot on. and customizable to a degree. i thought they were very good.

the multiplayer was tons of fun. all 3 games, although the first game had the best balance in terms of weapons w/in the maps.

syd, you're just saying debatable cuz you hate the halo franchise.

wheres FNJ at to get my back?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 08:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Groundbreaking console FPS? Apparently we've forgotten Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

username wrote:
the first game had the best balance in terms of weapons w/in the maps.

Pistol says hi, the second game had that stupidass sword too. So yeah.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 09:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
idk. the controls in all the Halo's were very spot on. and customizable to a degree. i thought they were very good.?

I think the N64 had the best console FPS controls. Other people will argue that the DualShock had the best console FPS controls. Did Halo have acceptable controls? Yes. Did it have the best controls? That's subjective. Everyone I know says no.

username wrote:
the multiplayer was tons of fun.

The question wasn't if Halo multiple player was fun. To some people, I'm sure it is. But the question was if it's the best console multiplayer ever. The answer is no. There have been games before it and games after it that offer a multiplayer experience that's just as fun, if not better.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 09:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
username wrote:
idk. the controls in all the Halo's were very spot on. and customizable to a degree. i thought they were very good.?

I think the N64 had the best console FPS controls. Other people will argue that the DualShock had the best console FPS controls. Did Halo have acceptable controls? Yes. Did it have the best controls? That's subjective. Everyone I know says no.

username wrote:
the multiplayer was tons of fun.

The question wasn't if Halo multiple player was fun. To some people, I'm sure it is. But the question was if it's the best console multiplayer ever. The answer is no. There have been games before it and games after it that offer a multiplayer experience that's just as fun, if not better.

although i did enjoy the N64 FPS controls, i believe the dual stick combo was quicker vs the c buttons on the N64.

ultimately, those questions are subjective, as you mentioned, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

@ ba'al
yes, the pistol was perfect in halo 1. it got ridiculously nerfed in halo 2 and i think it was forgettable in halo 3.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

NotEnoughGolds
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 02:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see how Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were revolutionary...
Maybe it was like... the first ever awesome multiplayer FPS, but it didn't do anything spectacularly awesome for single player that was above and beyond Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.
And now this:
Syd Lexia wrote:
NotEnoughGolds wrote:
But was Halo a groundbreaking console FPS?
Did it have the best console FPS graphics?
Did it have the best console FPS controls?
Did it have the best console FPS multiplayer?

1. Debatable
2. Debatable, and largely irrelevant
3. No
4. Debatable

Well 1 is obviously debatable and is meant to be broken down into 2, 3, and 4.
2. Largely irrelevant, maybe. But name a pre-Halo FPS that had better graphics.
3. Yes. The controls for the N64 FPS games was clumsy. Not a particular fault of the controller itself - I didn't mind the C-buttons - but the whole left-stick-to-move, right-stick-to-aim controls weren't standardized until Halo. This configuration, I believe, was an alternate configuration in Goldeneye. It wasn't even an option in any of the Turok games.
4. Did the Dreamcast allow for 16-player LAN gaming? This is a serious question, I don't know much about the Dreamcast. If not, then I fail to see how point 4 is debatable.

Edit: I feel the need to mention that Halo 2 and onward are pretty overrated. The first one, however, I think is correctly rated.
Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 02:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm saying this right be for I get a tear............

Metal Gear.

Crying Crying Crying

ah damn it I love me some snake

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

NotEnoughGolds wrote:
4. Did the Dreamcast allow for 16-player LAN gaming? This is a serious question, I don't know much about the Dreamcast. If not, then I fail to see how point 4 is debatable.

Having 16 human opponents in one game doesn't automatically make it the best multiplayer of its time. It makes it the most multiplayer multiplayer game of it's time, but not the best. I mean, yeah, you can have 16 people playing. But you're still playing Halo. Mario Kart Double Dash you to link 4 Gamecubes so that up to 16 people could play at once, but no one calls that the best multiplayer racing experience of its era. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S MEDIOCRE. So is Halo.

There are plenty of 4 player multiplayer shooters from that era that are more balanced, fun, polished, and clever than Halo.
NotEnoughGolds
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Having 16 human opponents in one game doesn't automatically make it the best multiplayer of its time. It makes it the most multiplayer multiplayer game of it's time, but not the best. I mean, yeah, you can have 16 people playing. But you're still playing Halo. Mario Kart Double Dash you to link 4 Gamecubes so that up to 16 people could play at once, but no one calls that the best multiplayer racing experience of its era. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S MEDIOCRE. So is Halo.

There are plenty of 4 player multiplayer shooters from that era that are more balanced, fun, polished, and clever than Halo.

Eh I just dislike splitscreen. It's not so much the 16-playerness (in fact, I preferred between 8 and 12 players), it's the console LAN that really made multi-player awesome. Especially in dorms.

Maybe I could come to some sort of agreement if you listed some games that pre-date Halo, that you think are better than Halo.
I recall hype for Goldeneye, Turok, and Perfect Dark. Then I recall hype for Halo. I don't really recall there being hype for any console FPS games in between those releases, so maybe I'm just missing some great ones.

Edit for my own overrate game: later Final Fantasy games. I prefer a Cut-Scene to gameplay ratio of 5 minutes to 1 hour, at the most. More than that, and it just feels like I'm watching a really long, bad movie.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

NotEnoughGolds wrote:
Edit for my own overrate game: later Final Fantasy games. I prefer a Cut-Scene to gameplay ratio of 5 minutes to 1 hour, at the most. More than that, and it just feels like I'm watching a really long, bad movie.

Then, whatever you do, stay away from Xenosaga!

My thought on Halo: It was fun. My friends and I had many a great day playing together. Was it the best console shooter of all time? No. Was it groundbreaking? Not really. Was it good. Yes.

The highest marks I would give would be "Console FPS of the Year" when it was released. That's as high as I would go.

Goldeneye broke pretty much all the console FPS grounds way before Halo did. The only thing Halo had that Goldeneye didn't was LAN support for more than 4 people. Which isn't really that big of a milestone. Since, at the time, you had many PC FPS options to play with far more people at time such as Quake III and Delta Force: Land Warrior.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 05:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A few things I didn't like about Halo 1 (I didn't finish Halo 2, and I never played Halo 3. And bear in mind that I don't play many FPS's, so my basis for comparison is limited:

--The environments were too repetitive, and I found myself getting lost too much. Unless it's supposed to be some kind of adventure FPS, you should never get lost in an FPS.

--Very little variation in the enemies. What was there, maybe like 5 or 6 different types?

--The Flood was annoying as hell

--My biggest gripe about the game.....and I can't think of a better way to describe this, but it just didn't seem to "pop" when you killed things. I remember playing Doom on my PC years ago, and how satisfying it was to take down an Imp or a Bulldog Demon with the double-barreled shotgun. The gun had a satisfying thud, blood splattered and the demon went down in a bloody, pixelated mess. In Halo, shooting things just seemed very sterile. Not for the lack of blood. I can't really explain it, but it just wasn't that satisfying to kill things. Maybe because the enemies themselves weren't that interesting? I found the enemies in Doom to be pretty scary for the time period. Those bulldog demons would just come running straight at you, the Imps were hideous, the Revenants and Barons of Hell made you shit your pants. In Halo I just didn't give a fuck.....the enemies were boring. I guess that's why it wasn't as much fun to kill them.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 09:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SpraCoalee wrote:

Metal Gear.

Crying Crying Crying

I can't disagree with this one and I too am tearing up... I love Metal Gear and they are great, but when they had MGS4 as the reason someone should buy a PS3, I just nearly was flabbergasted. It was good but not a Console Buying good. Granted I bought my PS3 for my MGS addiction.

Now Portable Ops and Peace Walker, those are definates for the PSP sellers. Peace walker is Super addictive and it puts all the best parts of the MGS series into a portible game... yet still it is an over-rated series, especially for those that never started the series.
Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Jul 03 2010 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SpraCoalee wrote:

Metal Gear.

Crying Crying Crying

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

InvaderDim
Title: Dispondent Adolescent
PostPosted: Jul 03 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I can not grasp in my reality why everyone not only seems to love but want to make love to Pokemon. I have never had any intrest in playing more than a couple minutes of that garbage

It's not illegal, it might give you some cavities

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jul 03 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Every Harvest Moon and Rune Factory game. I can't play any of them for more than a hour and I don't see where so many others have the patience to take it to the conclusion.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 03:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never got what the big fucking deal was with Bioshock, bored the hell out of me.

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 03:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

InvaderDim wrote:
Ok, I can not grasp in my reality why everyone not only seems to love but want to make love to Pokemon. I have never had any intrest in playing more than a couple minutes of that garbage

Once you get pulled in though, it's impossible to get out.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I only finished four gyms in Pearl. It's the only other game I played since Blue.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
username wrote:

Are you joking? The N64 controls are god awful. Really clunky and all over the place. Especially in playing Goldeneye.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
username wrote:

Are you joking? The N64 controls are god awful. Really clunky and all over the place. Especially in playing Goldeneye.

Is your avatar a joke? Snoopy? Peanuts is dull sappy bullshit that's about on par with Cathy.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 02:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Alowishus wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
username wrote:

Is your avatar a joke? Snoopy? Peanuts is dull sappy bullshit that's about on par with Cathy.

No it is not, though i have been here nearly a year and you are only commenting on it now! What the hell is Cathy? The comic strips are okay (Peanuts) but i prefer the cartoons/films.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew Man wrote:
InvaderDim wrote:

Once you get pulled in though, it's impossible to get out.

No it's not. I played Pokemon Red and it was fun. Once I realized they were gonna remake the same game over and over again I was done with it. Also, I'm an adult now.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 04:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:
Halo, Call of Duty and Final Fantasy VIII and on

I actually thought FFVIII was pretty good. And I don't remember it being particularly overrated. In fact I thought it was one of the more underrated ones. Compared to VII and X anyway.
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As much as I like the series, I have to admit that the Final Fantasy games are pretty much this.
ESPECIALLY VI and VII. These are awesome but are not the second coming of Jesus.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 07:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Diablo and Diablo 2. I have never been into hack and slay and that whole Item- and Skilling-Madness. It's all about making the perfect Character and the gameplay is pushing one button and watching that character hit Enemys like and epileptic. Really stupid game if you are asking me.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: