SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Is it just me or did Hollywood die this fall?

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Being in the industry (yeah right), I've noticed that every movie is bombing right now save Flightplan and debatably A History of Violence. Domino, Serenity, Elizabethtown, and a dozen other Hollywood flicks are losing tons of money because the box office has been low. If a film doesn't have a strong opening it is dead. Why did people just decide not to go to movies anymore? Is it because there's no time too? Tickets cost too much? Or the movies suck? Well, I don't think it's the crappy movies, because some films bombing have gotten great reviews (which would imply they are good, but besides Serenity I can't back that up for any other film, because I don't go either).

Is this a lesson that Hollywood should only release independent low budget films in the fall, because no one goes? Or that Hollywood needs to STOP making so many damn movies. Seriously, this is terrible! If I were an exec I'd shelve all my big budget fall films until the spring at this point. Why does this fall suck?

*Hollywood makes independent films!? WTF!? If you have wondered this you should know that independent film does not exist. Independent film are films sold exclusively through a webpage and filmed on mini DV. Movies like Donnie Darko, Napoleon Dynamite, and Boondock Saints are all studio independents. You can tell if you have the following:
1. A star.
2. A million dollar budget.
3. Sundance or Cannes debuts. Hell, even Slamdance is commercial.
I'm sorry. It hurts... I know.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

....this fall?

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 18 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
....this fall?

Well, the summer pulled in some bank for flicks like Batman and Star Wars. I'm not refering to the quality of movies, but how much money they bring in.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 18 2005 08:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Have you read The Onion lately?

They had a whole article about the death of Hollywood.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 18 2005 09:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Holywood died the day the first disney movie was made.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Oct 18 2005 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Confused

thats not true even in the slightest. disney movies bring in alot of cash from the box office,and pretty much bring a whole different age group to the movies. think about it,without disney,kids under the age of 10 would rarley ever go to the movies,if at all. No kid wants to see movies like anchorman or Saw or war of the worlds,nor would they be allowed to. they want animated and 3d films that are funny to them on their level of maturity and thats what disney gives them.

as for hollywood dying,it happens every few years. theres a brief period where nobody is making any quality movies but it usually passes. i can see why the box office might not be doing good with -"GREAT"- Rolling Eyes movies like elizibethtown.

(BTW,domnio is a very very good movie that everybody should go see)

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 18 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Now, I go to the movie theater multiple times a week, so I'm obviously not put-off by any of this, but I can think of a number of reasons why attendance is low.

1) First and foremost: the movies just suck. Remakes, sequels, T.V. adaptations. The overabundance of PG-13 films catering to the teen crowd doesn't help.

2) DVD. Yeah, it's awesome that we can get a lot of movies so soon after they leave theaters and in a reasonably high-quality format, but this is causing a shift in the industry. Studios are starting to realize that the money is REALLY in the home-video market. Hell, even films like "Elektra" and "The Chronicles of Riddick", which TANKED theatrically, made a jillion dollars on DVD. The effect is exacerbated by an upswing in the number of homes that have 5.1 surround systems and 40+" DLP television sets (though I'll be damned if I pay a few grand for one).

3) The theater going experience.

3a) Prices. 10 bucks a ticket? I know that stadium seating and whatnot doesn't come cheap, but for five bucks more, I can OWN the movie when it comes on DVD. Besides, theaters should making their money back through the concessions. God knows they cost enough.

3b) Commercials before the movie. Remember when an 8:00 start time meant 8:00, or 8:05 with trailers? Now it means 8:20 after you get twenty commercials advertising the Army, movietickets.com, soda, cars, video games, and the "Cinderella Man" gift card.

3c) This is a special category dedicated to the sad souls with only a National Amusements theater in their vicinity. THAT FUCKING CHARLIE SHEEN SPOT. You know the one. To those who don't know, observe.

-So PG means no nudity at all?
-Nope.
-No talking.
-In consideration of others, please no talking in the theater.
-Charlie, you can't smoke in here!
-Shh, no talking!
-Please, no smoking.
-Don't throw that on the floor
-What am I supposed to do with it?
-Please deposit trash in the proper receptacles.
-I'm sorry, babe, what?
-You're not supposed to be doing that...
-Please turn off all cellphones and pagers.
-I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to ask you guys to leave.
-Oh nono, you don't understand. We're just demonstrating what NOT to do in a National Amusements theater.
-Yeah, there's no movie playing and these people are extras.
-Yeah, half of them aren't even real.
-Yeah, and we have cameras and everything.
-No, I'm sorry, we don't allow cameras in here.
-All cameras AND CREWS are prohibited.
-You too, buddy. Out!
-No voice over announcers.
-I can't believe we got kicked out of our own public service announcement.
-Aww, can I get a hotdog?
-That's just a prop, Jake. They only serve real ones at REAL movies.
-Be sure to visit our REAL concession stand.
-Okay, can you leave us alone now?
-I love your show!
-Thanks, bbye!
-Okay, well, I'll just stick around and watch the... COMING ATTRACTIONS.

Yeah, how many more fucking times do I have to sit through that shit. I refuse to watch "3 and a half men" on account of how utterly sick I am of that spot. I've seen it so frquently, I can recite it VERBATIM. Moving on...

3d) Why am I at the 11:30 showing of "Freddy vs. Jason" and there's a 4 year old sitting next to me? Why are there three "gangstas" two rows back who won't shut up? Why is some greasy motherfucker in the front row playing "Solitaire" on his cellphone during the movie? Then again, why is the film not centered on the screen? Why can I see the waveform on the side of the image? Why did the lights magically turn on five minutes before the end credits began rolling? What was that weird green blob in the upper right corner of the screen?

Basically, the theatrical experience just seems to get worse and worse. SOME of these defecits (at least in terms of the actual film presentation) will be alleviated once digital projection completely kicks in, but the quality audiences in general (especially at the big googleplex type places) sucks. Watching films at home removes this as a factor.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 18 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Zeke, while I agree that commercials suck, especially the Charlie Sheen spot, the Fandango commercials at Loew's are pretty funny, and change ever couple months. Inconsiderate cellphone man was also one of the funniest things ever. As for a 4 year old at Freddy vs. Jason, I can one up you, from when I went to see Monster's Ball.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I was on a date and the movie we wanted to see was too late, so we decided to see Monster's Ball, thinking it was Rollerball (So we dodged a bullet, really). Right behind me was a 3 or 4 year old kid. If you haven't seen this movie, let me tell you that basically the first seen is Heath Ledger banging some whore, and about 5 or 10 minutes later he shoots himself in the chest. When he killed himself the little kid said "Mommy? What was that?" Yeah, I hate bad parents. The movie was great, but I'd let me 12 year old sister see Freddy vs. Jason any day before I let her see this.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 18 2005 06:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Got no humor, do yah BB King? Stop trying to protect Hollywood :-p

Reply to topic

Jump to: