SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Hiss removal: any sound people out there?

Reply to topic
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Dec 08 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey gang. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good way to get rid of a little background hiss when recording in a sub-optimal recording environment?

I've got a quality mic running to a mixer, and from the mixer to the Line In jack of my computer. It's really just the room's fault, but I wanna get rid of that hiss.

Tebor and Jeebus, I know you guys have done some sound stuff. And others might have bands and such where they've dealt with similar things. Any thoughts?
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

My first thought is use an audio program with a feature that elimates those pesky noises by muting the Hz/pitch signal/channel.

Funny you mentioned this, I was looking at "Ray Gun" last night which does something like it (though I think it specializes in simple tape hiss rather than mechanical hiss). I haven't used the program yet, so I can't recommend it. I will say that I did go looking for VST plug-ins for "Audio Hijack Pro" which has been a great asset to me. If you're using a Mac, might want to check out these links: http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html for possible solutions.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 02:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Only thing that comes to mine is to run it through either a high end or low end filter (I'm guessing high, but it could for some reason be some sort of really low frequency hiss I guess). If filters aren't on the mixer itself then just set one up in pro tools (since I assume that's what you're recording with?) for that track.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately, Ray Gun didn't do the trick, and the high-end filtering would cut too much out of the audio. However, I picked up a copy of MorphVOX Pro and it's got some pretty smart background filters that seem to do the trick nicely.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When you need to get rid of a really bad Hiss, call on either Richard Nixon or the McCarran commitee.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Dec 09 2006 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
When you need to get rid of a really bad Hiss, call on either Richard Nixon or the McCarran commitee.

Or G.I.Joe.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: