"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
WotC drops Star Wars

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 04 2010 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Long story short, Wizards of the Coast has decided to let go of the Star Wars license for RPGs and Miniatures due to the economic downturn. I'm not sure how many people here have played Star Wars d20/Minis, other than anyone who's played either of the KOTOR games, but there you have it.

WotC wrote:
There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you. After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn, Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: May 04 2010 03:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never liked star wars D20. I didn't even like it in KOTOR, but the tabletop playing was extra bad. The classes available were very poorly made, never getting the good complexity of the DnD barbarian or even the customization of the stat six from D20 modern, instead opting for the most boring progression of low grade class abilities possible, like Skill Focus kind of stuff. Force powers are skill based, so you can have like 15 ranks in Force Push, running headlong into the skills as combat rolls issue. The feat selection is barebones, with an inordinate number of those available being cribbed strait from D20 modern, which suffered from an absence of ranged combat feats and feats that do things that are interesting, owing to the fact that those feats were stolen from the Player's Handbook, which also had a bad feat selection. Some feats even have arbitrary restrictions, like the +2/+2 feat for Treat Injury and I forget the second was restricted to Force users only. Not that people were clamoring for it, but why restrict that?

Star Wars D20 also introduced the Vitality system, which sounds fantastic on paper. See, you have a vitality pool, which represents your ability to avoid damage cinimatically, and a wound pool, where you actually get hurt. Its sort of a compromise due to the presence of lightsabers, which should kill things instantly, and game mechanics where first hit wins makes for a boring fight indeed.

I loath the Vitality system, because mechanically it subjects characters to the "Die on the first critical hit" issue. At higher levels, you simply would not have the 20+ con to survive a critical, which goes strait to wounds, and all player characters by way of simple odds are going to be get a bad roll at some point. It also has some serious fridge logic issues with things like sneak attack, constrict, swallow whole, poison, and a whole list of things that function with contact. Even worse, to the ear of the foolish, vitality sounds like increased realism, and realism is good always right? So most people I play with insist on it whenever possible and complain that HP makes no sense. HP has and always will represent your ability to not die, a mixture of toughness, luck, and skill that takes a fatal blow and makes it not so fatal. Vitality is whats made when people misunderstand that and decide to fix something thats not broken with something that is.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the star wars license was underutilized and not really cut out for RPG in the first place, and it going away would probably be for the best.

Reply to topic

Jump to: