[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
JRA's wrestling inquiries.

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 26 2010 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Austin's "What?" chant started around the Invasion period. Durring that time Austin and Angle had many fueds, with both swtiching sides as the Face or Heel. It just kind of stuck.

Also, Angle used the "anger" over the fans chanting, as "Heel fuel" for his character.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 29 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
11a) Exactly how did Kurt Angle end up with the misfortune of having Steve Austin fans chanting "What?" ala Steve Austin during his promos?

11b) Why the hell didn't Angle just roll with them and turn his promos into Steve Austin promos? True it would have been ripping him off, but that's what the fans get for chanting it during Angle's promos in the first place.

It wasn't Angle, it was everyone. The story began when Austin left a message on Christian's answering machine, and everyone found it hilarious. I believe the first person he cut it on was Tazz. A lot of people don't remember Austin's other thing where he would "listen" to his wristwatch.

Angle did rip off Austin, as he ripped off everyone. Austin and Angle would constantly battle then allign together, which honestly was the best part of the Invasion. They almost acted as a married couple trying to compete for McMahon's attention. A lot of people said Austin shouldn't have turned at WM X-Seven, but I feel it was overdue. While Austin the character was very stale, he was still very over, but I feel it would've only been a matter of time before the fans turned on him. We saw more depth and creativity in Austin in those 8 months as a heel over the 4 years he was as a face.
JRA
PostPosted: May 30 2010 01:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
JRA wrote:
11a) Exactly how did Kurt Angle end up with the misfortune of having Steve Austin fans chanting "What?" ala Steve Austin during his promos?

11b) Why the hell didn't Angle just roll with them and turn his promos into Steve Austin promos? True it would have been ripping him off, but that's what the fans get for chanting it during Angle's promos in the first place.

It wasn't Angle, it was everyone. The story began when Austin left a message on Christian's answering machine, and everyone found it hilarious. I believe the first person he cut it on was Tazz. A lot of people don't remember Austin's other thing where he would "listen" to his wristwatch.

No, I knew all about the "What?" gag and how it originated, I just have no idea how it ended up in Angle's promos.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

JRA
PostPosted: May 30 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

12) What the crap is going on here?

I mean I know what's "going on" but...is this supposed to be a "match?" A promo? If Vince had some spare minutes he didn't know what do with, de he just go "You know what, go fuck your manager in the ring!"?

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: May 31 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's Edge and he's the "Rated-R Superstar", so yeah....but because he was the world champ at the time he got alot of promo time like most other world champs. His short tenure as champ during that time was more interesting than Cena's reign of terror that took up most of the 2005 year and was about as exciting as watching a snail race a box.

JRA
PostPosted: May 31 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

That doesn't quite answer my question.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 31 2010 01:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was Edge's 'Live Sex Celebration' to celebrate his winning the title. Apparently it was the highest rated RAW segment in a very long time.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 31 2010 01:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He made a ridiculous boast that if he won the Title, then he would celebrate by having sex on live TV, Because he was the "Rated R" Superstar.

Here is his promo from the following week:

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 31 2010 01:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He would then lose the title no less than 3 weeks later back to Cena, who would go on to beat Triple H at WM. After that, the sad reality that Cena is going to be the face of the company finally started to sink in. And around 5 years later...here we are. Ugh.
JRA
PostPosted: May 31 2010 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ric Flair interrupted the live sex celebration? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That is so fucking perfect I couldn't have planned that better if my life depended on it.

JRA
PostPosted: Jun 04 2010 05:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

13) Isn't "Lllllllllet's get ready to suck it...and if you're not down with that, we've got two words for ya" a contradiction?

JRA
PostPosted: Jun 18 2010 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

14) How does Steve Austin accepting help from Vince McMahon to defeat the Rock for the WWF Championship constitute Austin doing a heel turn?

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Jun 18 2010 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Because Mr. McMahon was a perennial heel and joining forces with him constituted a full-on heel turn, IMO.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 18 2010 09:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chile Guy wrote:
Because Mr. McMahon was a perennial heel and joining forces with him constituted a full-on heel turn, IMO.

This.

As for the "suck it," yes. Yes it is. But its a catchphrase, so what'er you gonna do?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

JRA
PostPosted: Jun 18 2010 09:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If that's the case, then has anybody actually turned down Vince's help, or is it a unwritten rule that if he pops up during a match, someonesa turnin heel?

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 19 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
If that's the case, then has anybody actually turned down Vince's help, or is it a unwritten rule that if he pops up during a match, someonesa turnin heel?

The match was in Houston, Austin was basically in his hometown and the Rock was booed badly. The reasons for them turning Austin heel were;

1. They felt his character was worn down. It was.

2. Austin felt changing his character would revitalize his career. It did.

3. They felt the best way to do this, was to pair him up with his arch-nemesis; Vince McMahon. It worked.

However, while his character was worn down, the fans STILL liked him. Turning him heel would've been fine, but it wasn't at a point in which it needed to happen. The fans needed to WANT the turn, which they didn't, so the whole thing was met with apathy. Also they didn't make it too clear as to why he alligned himself with Vince, other than he wanted to have an insurance policy. If Austin went out there and stated that he did it because he felt creating an alliance with his nemesis would render him untouchable, then it might've worked more.

But instead, Vince sort of slinked his way out of the story and they brought in Triple H. Instead of turning Triple H face, they fuck up even more. Remember, Triple H had been the mastermind in taking Austin out a couple years earlier, the reason was that he would gain a lot in his absence. So what does Triple H do? He joins Austin, becoming his second in command. I cannot even begin to express how dumb this was, because they had an epic feud and blow off just 2 months before. You could've revitalized the feud with the tables turned having Austin get the upperhand this time. Triple H ends up injured, and Austin is still getting cheered (beating up Michael Cole doesn't garner boos) so they change his character again.

He becomes a kiss ass to Vince once again, while facing off against the Invasion. Funny moments aside, fans still weren't buying it and they were booing the Invasion when it was clearly meant to originally be the face group. Still unphased, Austin turns on Vince and joins the Invasion. Yet, instead of getting booed, the arenas are filled with apathy. People just love Austin so much, that the Invasion in which Kurt Angle (who had also joined the Invasion...for some reason) turned face by knocking Austin out and defeating the Invasion once and for all, the next night Austin turned face and Angle turned heel. FOR NO APPARENT REASON.

Sometimes wrestling just can't be explained.
JRA
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

15) Michael Landsberg: cool or not cool?

JRA
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 05:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jesus, tough crowd.

Reply to topic

Jump to: