[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
McMahon gets rid of Survivor Series

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vince McMahon recently said that the Survivor Series is "outdated" and that the WWE is done with it.

Vince, the Survivor Series isn't outdated. The problem is that your product is crap and the writing sucks. The Survivor Series only works when you have stables and long term feuds, two things which are hallmarks of a quality wrestling promotion. When was the last time WWE had either? The poorly scripted "invasion"?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, this is such a ridiculous thing to happen. You're essentially killing off all the longtime main attraction PPVs for gimmicky PPVs that don't nearly draw as much. People used to pay to see the "Big 5", which without KOTR is now the "Big 4". Vince, you're an idiot...all the secondary PPVs only draw around HALF of what you get for Survivor Series.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 03:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the reason they are dropping SS is due to the lowered buy rates for that PPV from last year. All the new gimmick PPVs, (TLC, Breaking Point, etc.) outperformed the PPVs they replaced (No Way Out and the like).

Hell in a Cell did 283,000 buys, up 7% from No Mercy 2008 (261,000).
* Bragging Rights did 181,000 buys, up 15% from Cyber Sunday 2008 (153,000).
* Survivor Series totally bombed. The show did 235,000 buys, down 26% from 2008 (319,000)
* Tables, Ladders & Chairs did 228,000 buys, up 15% from Armageddon 2008 (193,000).

In a survey sent out to the WWE Universe yesterday morning, WWE asked fans what their level of interest is in the following potential PPV event themes:

Tournament Event: Single elimination "bracket style" tournament where Superstars would compete in multiple matches during the night to become the tournament winner.

Street Fight Event: Main events would include"street fight" matches where there are no disqualifications and pin-falls count anywhere. Superstars often compete in normal street clothes.

Legends Event: Match participants would include WWE Legends from the past.

Money in the Bank Event: The main event "Money in the Bank" match requires Superstars to climb a ladder and retrieve a briefcase hung high above the ring. The winner can "cash in" the briefcase for a championship title shot throughout the year. Qualifying matches earlier in the event will determine participants for the "Money in the Bank" match.

WWE Draft Event: WWE's annual Draft where Superstars and Divas learn which brand they'll be a part of for the next year. The Draft is often the beginning of new conflicts and matchups.

Battle Bowl Event: Random tag-teams compete together - sometimes arch rivals - with the winning teams being put in a 2-ring Battle Royal. The winner could potentially receive a championship title match.

Roulette Event: Main event match stipulations would be determined by the spin of a roulette-type wheel.

War Games Event: Teams of 5 collide in 2 cages. 2 participants begin the match with a new participant added every 5 minutes. This process is alternated between teams until all members from both teams are present.)

I want to see Battle Bowl, myself, since that's the origin of where I got the idea for the HWO Deadly Alliance Tourney we had.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 03:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A 2-ring Battle Royal?

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Raw Roulette? Digging into Bischoff's bag again? Razz

They need to find a way to make Titles mean something again. Otherwise all these become expensive exhibition matches. And like Syd said, improve the product, improve the writing, and have Vince figure out why his company sucks. The last one is the least likely to happen.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tournament event? Does that mean King of the Ring can return in a PPV format? DO WANT.

But well, the Survivor Series idea wasn't very good lately, yet it was the writer's fault.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The gimmick PPVs did well because they're new. Once the company hits the third year of them, you'll see buyrates go down, unless the overall quality of the general product improves.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
seinfeld
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 06:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Tournament Event: Single elimination "bracket style" tournament where Superstars would compete in multiple matches during the night to become the tournament winner.

I could get on board with this one. They don't need to throw away Survivor Series, but if they do, please WWE bring back KOTR.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 06:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't they try bringing back kotr once?

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

isn't that tournament basically king of the ring?

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Survivor Series was always boring to me.

The only SS match I ever saw that I like was the 10-on-10 tag team match at one of the early ones.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 06:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The gimmick PPVs did well because they're new. Once the company hits the third year of them, you'll see buyrates go down, unless the overall quality of the general product improves.

Exactly

And while the PPVs that replaced other PPVs such as TLC, it still didn't get as many buys as Survivor Series. That's like saying WM does less sales this year than it does last year, but a new PPV that replaces Backlash does better by 5%. While the percentage for that month went up, the overall sales aren't still even on par with Wrestlemania.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Feb 18 2010 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has SS still been a 4 on 4 tag-team match like it was back in the 80's-90's, or did that change somewhere along the line?

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 18 2010 02:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They just recently tried to bring back the team matches, but for years, it was just another PPV with no gimmicks or anything.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 18 2010 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

See MAYBE having an actual reason to have a 4 on 4 match might actually help get interest.

Maybe the winner between SD and Raw allows for that particular show to be the last match at WM or something.
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Feb 18 2010 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So three more new PPVs were confirmed to be around.

5/23 WWE Wild Card

6/20 Fatal Four Way

7/18 Money in the Bank.

Christ, I sure hope SummerSlam is still around. Does WWE even care anymore? May as well have Punjabi Prison and Singles with Manager while we're at it.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 19 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Money In The Bank PPV?

Gay
seinfeld
PostPosted: Feb 19 2010 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
6/20 Fatal Four Way.

What? Why would anyone order a pay per view to see a fatal four way match?

So the MITB will not be held at wrestlemania this year?
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 20 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Without the MITB match at Mania, I have less reason to watch. Seriously, that concept was awesome and doing away with it at the biggest PPV of the year KILLS it's intrigue to me.
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Feb 20 2010 07:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

WWE One Fall. The stipulation is that all matches end in either a pinfall or a submission, without being disqualified.

No seriously, the way it goes, that's the next gimmick PPV for you. They could've brought back Starrcade or something like that, but no...

Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 20 2010 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WWE "Coal Miner's Glove"

"This time, it's personal!"
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: Feb 22 2010 07:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Might be War Games though Personally I'm hoping Vince Brings back Starrcade

WWE STARRCADE would be EPIC!
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Feb 22 2010 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Money in the Bank is on my birthday... guess who's getting shit faced and not watching that...
Godofhardcore
PostPosted: Feb 23 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:
Money in the Bank is on my birthday... guess who's getting shit faced and not watching that...

Why not get shitfaced while watching might make the PPV better
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 23 2010 01:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

MITB is happening at Mania, I assume by the PPV, it'll be more of a ladder match battle royale PPV instead of actual MITB contracts.
Reply to topic

Jump to: