"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Uncapped 2010 NFL Season

Reply to topic
RedFlaG11
Title: Dave Grohl
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So what do you guys think about having an uncapped 2010 NFL season? I think it would boost some of the teams who suck, like the Lions (don't worry, I'm from Detroit so i'm used to a crappy NFL team), and maybe give them some good players.

Spongebob: Excuse me sir, I hope my horrible ugliness won't be a distraction to you.
Fish: Not at all boy... DUAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Idk, I never liked the uncapped bs that MLB had. Not that it works (look at the yankees) but it also screws the fans a bit because we have to pay higher ticket prices, concessions, beer, etc etc.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a big fan of it. My favorite part of football has always been all the parody in the league and never knowing who was gonna be great. The salary cap was a big part of that. I worry that if the uncapped thing stays, we're just going to see The Cowboys and The Redskins be some of the best teams every year, kind of like The Yankees and The Braves in the MLB. Teams in the NFL that don't have owners willing to spend will be left behind.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Feb 12 2010 08:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sexton Hardcastle wrote:
My favorite part of football has always been all the parody in the league.

Psst...the word you want is "parity".
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Feb 13 2010 07:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's not as clear cut as "every team can spend whatever they want in 2010". There's a lot of crazy rules and stuff that come into effect in an uncapped year. Free agency is completely changed and a lot of players will actually get screwed out of lucrative contracts rather than being offered new ones. In fact, most of the league doesn't even know anything about the situation yet, so they won't even make a move until long after the combine, maybe not until after the draft.

Also, the top 8 teams from last season can't do much of anything as far as I know as they have a ton of restrictions put on them in an uncapped year.

So all told, instead of masses of players switching teams for massive contracts, I think we'll actually see very little movement and little change this offseason. And next season will sort of be a lame duck year where players don't really know what they're playing for or what their contracts will look like because 2011 might be locked out completely.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 03:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Username, it only turns me away from the game. I used to be extremely big on MLB, after the 1994 "World Series", that all changed and I don't think baseball ever recovered.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 06:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

The NFL will never go completely uncapped for the rest of time like the MLB. There will always be a salary cap included in any agreements, so this year is a one-off thing while the new deal is in limbo.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Feb 14 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well Panda, I didn't know all that when I made my first post. I knew of some obscure rules and sanctions put on teams and free agents, but I didn't know to what extent. I should have probably looked up some more info before posting, but thank you. You have helped me lose my skepticism over how this year is going to turn out.
Reply to topic

Jump to: