[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
NFL Playoff Predictions Thread

Reply to topic
Undeath
Title: Facepuncher of Asses
PostPosted: Jan 26 2010 06:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, Katrina was a terrible thing that happened, but again...but I think the window to use that has closed. I mean let's say the Saints won 4 years down the road...would they still bring up Katrina...how bout 8 years...12 years?

If you want to keep up with how New Orleans looks in current events rather than a few years ago...it has the highest crime rate per capita in the country. Maybe you should try to win a Super Bowl around that.

Comparatively speaking, that's like asking a New Yorker to forget about 9/11. Yeah, we're all tired of hearing about it by now, but there will be some context in which it's brought up.

Also, the worst part about being in the evacuation zone was that New Orleans crime did hit home for awhile. But if you want to get nitpicky, it's because Louisiana has the most liberal drinking laws in the United States (come on, we have drive through daiquiris, meanwhile when I was 21, I got looked at funny because I asked a grocery store clerk where the beer aisle was) and we have Mardi Gras on top of that. We draw a party crowd for damn sure, and unfortunately, nothing proves to be a huge catalyst for trouble than people already seeking trouble getting liquored up.

Cracked.com wrote:
"MARGARINE IS ONE MOLECULE AWAY FROM PLASTIC."

Not only is that not right, that's not even wrong. It's a meaningless statement. Saying something is "one molecule away" from plastic is like saying a farm is one letter away from a fart. Water is "one molecule away" from being explosive hydrogen gas.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jan 26 2010 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Undeath wrote:
Doddsino wrote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, Katrina was a terrible thing that happened, but again...but I think the window to use that has closed. I mean let's say the Saints won 4 years down the road...would they still bring up Katrina...how bout 8 years...12 years?

If you want to keep up with how New Orleans looks in current events rather than a few years ago...it has the highest crime rate per capita in the country. Maybe you should try to win a Super Bowl around that.

Comparatively speaking, that's like asking a New Yorker to forget about 9/11. Yeah, we're all tired of hearing about it by now, but there will be some context in which it's brought up.

Also, the worst part about being in the evacuation zone was that New Orleans crime did hit home for awhile. But if you want to get nitpicky, it's because Louisiana has the most liberal drinking laws in the United States (come on, we have drive through daiquiris, meanwhile when I was 21, I got looked at funny because I asked a grocery store clerk where the beer aisle was) and we have Mardi Gras on top of that. We draw a party crowd for damn sure, and unfortunately, nothing proves to be a huge catalyst for trouble than people already seeking trouble getting liquored up.

Yeah, Louisiana's great isn't it? Smile

You can buy alcohol virtually anywhere. Grocery stores, gas stations, wherever they have shelf space for it.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Jan 26 2010 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"You know who threw a great interception pass? Brett Farve."

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but I don't personally hate the guy, he's a hell of a quarterback, I just hate how it's cock-suck city on ESPN after one of his games.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 27 2010 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Undeath wrote:
Doddsino wrote:

No one's asking either city to forget. But c'mon, NO ONE watched the Jets game and went, "you know what, I really hope the Jets win. New York could use the boost after 9/11."

I'm with Dodd. Ship has sailed, not on the sympathy and help, but on the head patting and pity.

Now in complete fairness, New York got a HELL of a lot more help recovering than NO did, and the disaster was far more widespread in terms of people displaced and areas rendered uninhabitable. Its a whole other kind of disaster and the aftershocks are still being felt directly, which makes it a lot harder to go back to normal in the long term. (I'm not trying to play whose disaster was worst or something, just giving a reason that NO might still feel very personally, physically affected by the disaster in a way that I think most NYers weren't.)

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jan 27 2010 02:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's because Katrina wasn't even the worst disaster to ever hit the Superdome.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 27 2010 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
That's because Katrina wasn't even the worst disaster to ever hit the Superdome.

right. that honor belongs to FEMA

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jan 27 2010 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

Damn, man, way to bring a joke down.
Undeath
Title: Facepuncher of Asses
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now that I think about it, as much as I like and root for the Saints (finally not being ashamed to admit so), I think a Super Bowl victory will be WORSE for the city than Katrina. Think about it, mathematically:

Rabid, Southern Football Fans Who Finally Get a Major Victory + REALLY Liberal Drinking Laws + THE BEGINNING OF MARDI GRAS SEASON Coinciding With Super Bowl = New Orleans won't be standing February 8th. AND Mardi Gras revelers will be drinking en masse on New Orleans' ashes.

Cracked.com wrote:
"MARGARINE IS ONE MOLECULE AWAY FROM PLASTIC."

Not only is that not right, that's not even wrong. It's a meaningless statement. Saying something is "one molecule away" from plastic is like saying a farm is one letter away from a fart. Water is "one molecule away" from being explosive hydrogen gas.

MouthForWar
Title: The People's Champ!
PostPosted: Jan 29 2010 05:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the best thing for the diva (Favre) to do is to take sometime time away from football, and get down on some quality tractor ridin'!! YEEHAWW!! I LOVED seeing the diva get smacked around by the Saints. B-E-A-U-TIFUL!!

-Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It!!-

username
PostPosted: Jan 29 2010 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well, AZ is done. KW retired.

Klimbatize wrote:

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 08:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I agree with the general consensus that that's enough with the Katrina talk. It's years past by now and it's not like the hurricane directly affected the Saints in any way so as to make their "meteoric rise" some kind of big deal.

That said, hearing Katrina talk for 4 hours on SB Sunday is a good deal better than potentially having to deal with the Favre fallacio frenzy that it could have been. I'm glad he and the Vikings lost because I think they didn't earn their way to the SB cleanly. Picking up a Hall of Fame QB for one year just so you can go to the SB, and he screwing over all his Green Bay fans by playing for their rival just on the assumption that Minnesota will get to the SB is dirty and lame. I'm glad the football gods decreed that isn't going to happen.

On the other hand, Warner is such a class act and I think the sport will really miss him.
username
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lol I would like the bears to bring up the Chicago fire the next time they play

Klimbatize wrote:

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 05:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Lol I would like the bears to bring up the Chicago fire the next time they play

Laughing Or next time the Raiders or the Rams play, have them bring up the 1992 LA riots...even though they no longer play there.

Really, I could give less than a shit about any off field stuff. Like whenever they have an exclusive on a random player and interview them and talk about their struggles, hard life, bad childhood, family crisis, whatever, I really just don't fucking care. Well, it's not that I don't care, but i don't care while I'm watching CBS/Fox/ESPN pre-game shows on Sundays. Leave that shit for Real Sports with Bryant Gumble. I also don't like the not-so-funny comedy sketches when they do stuff like have "Ricky Williams sightings" (back when he was gone) or Frank Whoever the Fuck doing Madden impressions. I also don't need comedians like Lewis Black or Dennis Leary weighing in on that days games. Fuck it all.

Super Bowl is the worst because they cram the shit down your throat for 2 weeks. I like the game. Or when they do stuff like introduce all of the past SB MVPs (sans Montana, that no show mofo). I don't mind that because it is actually football related. Leave that off the field shit for Real Sports, Outside the Lines, and E:60.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 09:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy fuck, that onside kick was awesome. I'm a Colts fan, so I'm not pleased at all with the outcome, but the Saints sure have guts.
pineapple
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Game's over. Fuck...
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Twitter just exploded at that very moment.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
Holy fuck, that onside kick was awesome. I'm a Colts fan, so I'm not pleased at all with the outcome, but the Saints sure have guts.

Hah! I love the surprise onside kick.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What an entertaining Super Bowl. The second half on was great. Words can't describe how happy I am that Manning made that costly interception and couldn't get the ball in the end zone when it mattered at the end of the 4th and was lucky that one pass wasn't an INT. This just helps solidify my Manning Vs. Brady debate. Brady is like a car with manual transmission, while Manning is like a car with an automatic transmission. Sure, the car with the automatic transmission may seem better and easier (better stats), but it's lacking the one thing the manual transmission car has...and that is a clutch! He can't pull it out when it matters most. No clutch.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is an excellent post sir. I will be stealing that every time someone who knows more about football talks to me.

pineapple
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is one of the greatest comparisons I've ever heard!
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 09 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Being a Colts fan, I must tip my hat to the Saints for playing such a solid game. After that onside kick, the Colts fell apart defensively and Peyton fell apart in the 4th. Congrats to New Orleans!

The only thing that I hate is how people are saying that Peyton is a buckler, which he most certainly did in this game, but it's not something he's done in YEARS.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Feb 09 2010 01:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
username wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

Damn, man, way to bring a joke down.

Not far from the truth though. FEMA dropped the ball and I personally know the Red Cross didn't help civil service workers in this area. However, Katrina is well in the past now and I think we all would wish people would either help with the recovery or forget about it. Except for certain parts of the city things are business as usual down there.

As for the Bowl game Smile I almost skipped class today Very Happy Nothing could bring me down once the Saints won.

That onside kick shocked me. They kicked off the 2nd quarter with a bang! Shocked The interception pretty much sealed it. Came down to getting to a point you could run the clock out and making sure if they scored it didn't matter. Sure makes up for that badly called game against the Bears in 2006 Very Happy

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 09 2010 03:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Total congrats to the Saints. They won this game on pure balls and guts. They took big risks, backed them up (mostly) and came up huge when it counted. I can't even feel that bad for Manning, since he's already got a ring.

Plus...c'mon..that pic of Drew B. with his little baby wearing the earmuffs...cutest. Thing. EVER. Very Happy

Way to go New Orleans! And happy Mardi Gras! Cheers!

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Feb 09 2010 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I feel bad for Manning since he basically lost the entire game for his team with that single mistake. Also, Manning is as clutch as it comes and just because he failed in this game doesn't mean his career followed suit. If I could choose one QB to go 90 yards in 2 minutes, it'd be Peyton.

This Super Bowl was yet just another case of which team wanted it more. A majority of the Colts already have a ring, their head coach is kind of a slug, and they were the favorites going in. There wasn't all that much in it for them really when compared to NO who basically took to heart that they were playing for an entire city, not just themselves and were so hungry, it's insane.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Feb 09 2010 05:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Manning did not blow that game and he did not make a mistake. Not every pick is the QB's fault.

That was a damn near perfect game on both sides, the difference is the Saints tried a few tricks, and they worked, while the Colts just played a solid, boring football game.
Reply to topic

Jump to: