[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
NFL Playoff Predictions Thread

Reply to topic
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jan 23 2010 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:
I agree completely, well said scamrock. Not only all of that, but he is the only QB I've ever heard of that essentially runs that entire offense by himself. He'd be just as good with any OC or Head Coach because he's calling the plays.

Brady on the other hand, I'm not so sure he could play as well anywhere else under another coach. I'd love to see that if it ever happened so I may be proven wrong, but Brady to me is the poster child of a system QB. Take him out of the Belichik system, and will he be as good? I don't know.

He's definitely Top 10, maybe even top 7 or so, but I have a hard time putting him higher up than top 5.

I actually think Brady would be just fine about anywhere for at least two reasons. First, he has top notch mechanics. Maybe the best I've ever seen. Second, he has great poise. The guy has ice in his veins. It's like watching Joe Montana, but with better mechanics. Plus, his combination of arm strength and accuracy is only rivaled by Manning (of active QBs). That said, I still don't think he is as complete as Manning.

scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 23 2010 02:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
College stats mean crap. Plus, Brady never got a chance to play college ball.

Not true. Brady started every game of the 1998 and 1999 seasons. He was pretty good too. Underrated if you ask me.

I agree to an extent that college stats don't mean crap. It doesn't mean you will be a good NFL player. But playing well in college is important. But when talking about Manning, I only bring up college for a few reasons.

The main reason I bring it up is to show he was consistanty considered an elite QB at every level (high school, college, pro). It says to me that he can thrive in any situation.

Also, bringing up how well he did playing outdoors at Neyland Stadium shows that he isn't just an indoor QB who only thrives because he is in a dome (now a retractable roof).

Third, I bring up college because his recievers appeared to be playing at a level to make people think they would be good NFL prospects, when in reality, Manning was making them look that good. He has since proven he can play at that level, while none of them really have. It also debunks the idea that ne needs elite receivers to thrive.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jan 23 2010 07:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Not true. Brady started every game of the 1998 and 1999 seasons. He was pretty good too. Underrated if you ask me.

Sorry, I was thinking of someone else...I'm a dumbass.
scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Quote:

Probly Matt Cassel. I think the only playing time he got in college was running back and receiver. What is interesting is that after Carson Palmer left USC, Matt Leinart was only supposed to be a stop-gap QB until John David Booty was ready for the starting job. He barely beat out Cassel, who was ahead of him on the depth chart the year before. Then Leinart ended up being a stud. I used to wonder what would have happened if Cassel would have got the job instead. Maybe Leinart wouldn't even be in the NFL today. Or, maybe, Cassel wouldn't have done well and Booty would have gotten to start sooner. It's kind of interesting.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 05:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh, why must the Colts defense allow so many fucking big plays?
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 05:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
Quote:

Probly Matt Cassel.

Yup. He did such a good Tom Brady impression the other year, I confused the two.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1 team in...all I need is the Saints to pull it out, and I think we'll be in for one hell of a Super Bowl.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"The Vikings fumble the ball! Again!" Very Happy
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FUCK YES!!!!

My Super Bowl fantasy comes true.

And while I'm a huge Colts fan, I have absolutely no problem with the Saints winning, New Orleans has never really had anything as far as sports go, so it's good to see them win something.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In other news, Adrian Peterson has signed an endorsement deal with Butterfinger.
Undeath
Title: Facepuncher of Asses
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now that New Orleans is going to the Super Bowl, I have a feeling I should go west to Texas, as the entire state of Louisiana is probably about to be burnt down.

GOD DAMN, YES.

Cracked.com wrote:
"MARGARINE IS ONE MOLECULE AWAY FROM PLASTIC."

Not only is that not right, that's not even wrong. It's a meaningless statement. Saying something is "one molecule away" from plastic is like saying a farm is one letter away from a fart. Water is "one molecule away" from being explosive hydrogen gas.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shit, I had 300 bucks on the Chargers winning the Super Bowl, they missed 3 field goals and lost. After that I had 300 on the Vikings and the fumbled twice in the red zone and lost. Both teams had the chance to win. Maybe I should put a thousand on the fucking Colts.

I can stand to lose but to lose to shit that shouldn't have cost the game, I get pissed.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Jan 24 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't be happier with the way that Vikings/Saints game went. Favre throwing an incredibly costly interception at the end of the 4th quarter makes me very happy.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, let's not pin that all on Favre. If they didn't put 12 guys in that huddle, they would never have had to throw that pass.
seinfeld
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

^ Still, Favre had a clear look running the ball on that play. He could of ran to the sideline and picked up a 5-6 yards, while stopping the clock at the same time.

I think we are getting the best Super Bowl possible. These are the two best teams in the league, it's been proven over and over again this season.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Okay, let's not pin that all on Favre. If they didn't put 12 guys in that huddle, they would never have had to throw that pass.

Exactly, as soon as that penalty was called, I knew the Vikings were fucked. I knew Favre would have to try extremely hard to get a first down, luckily he didn't.

Overall...pretty decent game...but overtime was fucking awful...all those calls and revies were just ugly to see unfold.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings doing something even, but let's be honest...Favre already has a ring and has proven he can do so much at his age. To see people crying that he didn't finish on top is just pathedic, he'll most likely play till he's 85 at this point, so no reason to bitch.

Another note, DON'T make this a sob story about fucking Katrina, because that just makes me feel less sympathedic towards the Saints, plus it was a few years ago. Just make it a story about a team who after 40 years FINALLY make it to a Super Bowl.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 02:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah you could see him look at literally nobody on his team and throw it anyway. I don't feel bad for him. He could have ran 1 yard and that would have been better than an interception he had to have known would happen.

Undeath
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I'm complaining.

Cracked.com wrote:

Not only is that not right, that's not even wrong. It's a meaningless statement. Saying something is "one molecule away" from plastic is like saying a farm is one letter away from a fart. Water is "one molecule away" from being explosive hydrogen gas.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

seinfeld wrote:
I think we are getting the best Super Bowl possible. These are the two best teams in the league, it's been proven over and over again this season.

Couldn't agree more. This is gonna be a damn good SB. I hope the Saints come out on top. What an exciting game that was, though!

I got no hate for Farve, really. I mean, he was a prick about retiring and he's had his moment in the sun (and his SB ring) so I'm glad he lost here to give the Saints a chance. They really, really deserve it.

I guess that's the problem with being as good as he is...you think you can make miracles happen out of nowhere. How sad for him and his team. Sad I'm glad they aren't the ones that won, but I still feel bad for 'em. They played a DAMN good game and, given the stats of the two teams, they probably deserved to win lol.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 06:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love how people are blaming Farve. You know how many fumbles there were in this game?! 2 turnovers inside the 5 yard line, give me a break...Minnesota deserved to lose with 5 turnovers and they took they Saints to OT. I don't think the best team won, because the Vikes outgained the most explosive offense in the league by over 200 yards. In my opinion the Vikes are the better team and I honestly think the Colts will destroy them after seeing this game.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Favre blew a chance but there were so many fuck ups by other people that it shouldn't have come down to that in the first place. They need to learn to tuck the damn ball in instead of running around with it like it's a loaf of bread or something.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Undeath
PostPosted: Jan 25 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Although I love the Saints, a mention of how Favre grew up less than an hour away from New Orleans, would have rooted for the Saints "on any other night", and the less than inspired choice to pass directly to an interception almost screams "GIVE THE GAME AWAY!"

Other than those three games however, the Saints have had a much better season than expected and it's finally exciting (as opposed to shameful) to be a New Orleans Saints fan. Locally, there were talks of the city getting rid of the Saints, and now I'm assuming they're happy as hell they didn't.

On another note, it's inevitable they'll bring up Katrina. Sorry, but it's local and national history, and any sportscaster with even a modicum of training in hyperbole will be squealing about the Cinderella Story of New Orleans. Hell, local newscasts can't help but mention how, until just a couple of weeks ago, the NOLA Superdome still smelled like feces and waste and mold and stuff because of evacuees.

Cracked.com wrote:

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jan 26 2010 04:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have much to add, but I'm a Saints fan since I was a little kid. This is going to be an awesome Superbowl! Very Happy

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 26 2010 05:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, don't get me wrong, Katrina was a terrible thing that happened, but again...but I think the window to use that has closed. I mean let's say the Saints won 4 years down the road...would they still bring up Katrina...how bout 8 years...12 years?

If you want to keep up with how New Orleans looks in current events rather than a few years ago...it has the highest crime rate per capita in the country. Maybe you should try to win a Super Bowl around that.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 26 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
If you want to keep up with how New Orleans looks in current events rather than a few years ago...it has the highest crime rate per capita in the country. Maybe you should try to win a Super Bowl around that.

well, you saw what happened when gotham was declared a no mans land, people had to take the law in their hands man.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: