LESNAR is not the biggest douche in MMA anymore

Reply to topic
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jan 02 2010 03:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

and he gets cheers for it
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jan 02 2010 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In all fairness, Lesnar was provoked into being a jackass. The Coors thing was unneeded, but otherwise Mir was asking for it.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jan 02 2010 09:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like lesnar BECAUSE of the coors thing.

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 06:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
In all fairness, Lesnar was provoked into being a jackass. The Coors thing was unneeded, but otherwise Mir was asking for it.

I agree. I also agree with FNJ about liking the Coors thing. But it was still probably a stupid thing to do. But his rant was clearly the result of being booed (it was Mir's hometown) and the overabundance of trash talk from Mir before the fight.

Also, people seem to act like Lesnar has acted like this all along. He hadn't done anything disrespecful other than participating in the usual mild pre-fight trash talk. After the first Mir fight, Joe Rogan called Lesnar a class act. He didn't say anything out of line after the Herring fight. He was very respectful of Randy Couture both before and after their fight. On top of that, he was quick to apologize in the post-fight press conference. So basically, an isolated incident turned into Brock being "bad for the sport", "MMA's new bad guy", etc.

In reality, Brock didn't do anything any worse on one isolated night than the things guys like Tito Ortiz and Tank Abbott did throughout their whole careers.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 02:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea that was pretty fucked up. You broke the dude's arm.....I'd say you did all the "talking" you needed to do. The middle finger just makes you look like an asshole, and puts a huge bullseye on you for every other fighter in your division.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 03:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

What an ass. Seriously. I hope he gets hurt in kind.

I'm not really into MMA, but I can hear the discussion and I think people want to hate Lesner cause he was a pro wrestler at one point and MMA's has some insecurity issues and gets uncomfortable when its legitimacy is challenged.

scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 05 2010 04:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:

I'm not really into MMA, but I can hear the discussion and I think people want to hate Lesner cause he was a pro wrestler at one point and MMA's has some insecurity issues and gets uncomfortable when its legitimacy is challenged.

I agree. I think for the most part, MMA fans figured Lesnar was just some guy from pro wrestling that was in for a surprise if he thought he could compete in real fighting. When he actually proved himself to be an outstanding fighter, people couldn't say I told you so. Instead, they had to listen to all of the Lesnar fans saying it to them. So it does seem like a lot of them take any chance they get to bash the guy. Like I said, this was really the first time he acted out, and all of a sudden, people are acting like he does it all of the time.

Something else that I think bothers MMA fans the most is that Lesnar already had a fan base before he got there. He brought a lot of those fans with him. Randy Couture is one of, if not the biggest name in MMA. When a guy with zero fights has a more fans than the biggest name in the business, it is gonna cause some resentment. Especially when a lot of Lesnar's fans weren't previously MMA fans and a lot of them no little about it, but still run their mouth.

Personally, I have liked Lesnar since he started MMA. It has nothing to do with WWE or anything else, at least for me. I heard he was going to do it, and knowing his NCAA and NJCAA wrestling background, and knowing the guy has a rare combination of size, strength, agility, quickness, etc, I knew he would have the potential to be a contender. That is why I started liking him as an MMA fighter.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 03:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
RobotGumshoe wrote:

I agree. I think for the most part, MMA fans figured Lesnar was just some guy from pro wrestling that was in for a surprise if he thought he could compete in real fighting. When he actually proved himself to be an outstanding fighter, people couldn't say I told you so. Instead, they had to listen to all of the Lesnar fans saying it to them. So it does seem like a lot of them take any chance they get to bash the guy. Like I said, this was really the first time he acted out, and all of a sudden, people are acting like he does it all of the time.

Something else that I think bothers MMA fans the most is that Lesnar already had a fan base before he got there. He brought a lot of those fans with him. Randy Couture is one of, if not the biggest name in MMA. When a guy with zero fights has a more fans than the biggest name in the business, it is gonna cause some resentment. Especially when a lot of Lesnar's fans weren't previously MMA fans and a lot of them no little about it, but still run their mouth.

Personally, I have liked Lesnar since he started MMA. It has nothing to do with WWE or anything else, at least for me. I heard he was going to do it, and knowing his NCAA and NJCAA wrestling background, and knowing the guy has a rare combination of size, strength, agility, quickness, etc, I knew he would have the potential to be a contender. That is why I started liking him as an MMA fighter.

It's true, people dislike Lesnar for the wrong reasons. Who gives a fuck if he was in the WWF or not? He's got legit wrestling credientials.

I'm not a fan of him because I don't really like his style of fighting......essentially defeating everyone with size and athletic ability. Not that it's not a legitimate way to win, but if he didn't outweigh everyone by 60 pounds he wouldn't be so dominant.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i agree w/ice2seeyou. its annoying how he just lays on people and pounds their head. thats how big country nelson won the ultimate fighter (except for his last fight). its boring to watch.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 07:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
i agree w/ice2seeyou. its annoying how he just lays on people and pounds their head. thats how big country nelson won the ultimate fighter (except for his last fight). its boring to watch.

I disagree on the comparisons of Lesnar's GnP to Nelson's. Don't get me wrong, Nelson is a world class grappler and has to work to position himself in that position. But once he is there, he basically lays on them and hits them. Lesnar's GnP required a lot of skill. I would be a liar if I said his size and strength didn't matter. They did play a big part. But he displays excellent control from the top using technique as well. I would say he has one of the most impressive GnP I've seen. I think it rival's Fedor's. Only Fedor creates distance so he can drop those nukes, while Lesnar stays pressed against his opponent.

I would also add that at least he is trying to finish the fight. Some wrestlers seem to have a problem with trying to win on points, like Jake Shields when he fought Jason Miller.

Here is a good video that explains the technique Lesnar was using against Mir.

Reply to topic

Jump to: