"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Classics" You've Read 'Just Because'

Reply to topic
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 03:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read." --Mark Twain

So, on the last play I worked on this semester one of the books used as props somehow got backstage. I found it early on and since I had never read it, opened it up and read it through the production. I DID NOT finish it, but I plan to.

That book was H.G. Well's "The Time Machine".

I haven't seen the original movie, but the book is laid out so different from the Guy Pierce remake. Fascinating book. It's definitely one of those that makes you wonder.

The Forward and Ependices were longer than the ACTUAL book :p Th book itself is about 150 pages. I got through about half before the show ended and the props went back to their owners homes. Funny how they added far more to the book than the book's actual size. Footnotes, cited sources, editorial pieces, another otherwise useless junk filled the nonstory part of the volume I read from, but it was helpful for older terms I was unfamiliar with.

But I digress....

I also tried to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for the heck of it as well while working as an Extra during downtime, but the language drove me nuts Smile

Anyone else pick up a classic and discover on your own why it was a classic? This is mainly since school's "force" that reading on you and you don't appreciate it.

I think it has to be done willingly to be effective.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've read Moby Dick.
That is the only reason I read it; to say "i've ready Moby Dick"

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Too many to count. Confused That's not being a snob, its just because I love reading almost more than anything else, *especially* classics. So I break them out/re-read them all the time "just because," in the same way I go back to my favorite classic games time and time again.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 04:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i would say 'the great gatsby' but i had to do that for school.

robinson crusoe, i read just because. also, oliver twist, dracula, frankenstein. im sure there are more, but like soldierhawk, i just like to read.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm like those two. Umm... I don't think I've ever read a classic book for the first time not just because...

And Ghandi, you son of a bitch, there's no "The" in Huck Finn, Twain very deliberately titled it Adventures of Huckleberry Finn!

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've got really old copies of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Can't remember how old but I wanna say early 1900s. They have Samuel Clemens as the author instead of his famous pen name.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 08:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
I've got really old copies of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Can't remember how old but I wanna say early 1900s. They have Samuel Clemens as the author instead of his famous pen name.

That is SO effing badassed. If you ever want to unload them for a decent amount of money, CALL ME FIRST!

militarysignatures.com

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My Grandpa got them from some library that was closing in Salt Lake City, he paid like 50 cents a piece for em. Cool I'll dig em out and see what year their from when I get home tonight.

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Best I've got is a first edition Nineteen Eighty-four I bought for eight dollars.[/i]

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain_Pollution wrote:
Best I've got is a first edition Nineteen Eighty-four I bought for eight dollars.[/i]

Offer goes for you too!

militarysignatures.com

ODS
Title: Pretty Sweet Guy
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 09:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've always wanted to read Moby Dick, but I figured it was probably a overly-pretentious "classic."
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Danse Macabra wrote:
I've always wanted to read Moby Dick, but I figured it was probably a overly-pretentious "classic."

Part of it is. If you read the whole thing, you'll end up knowing more about whales and whaling than you ever cared to. My advice to to find a good abridged version that's all story, and cuts out the excess. If you really like it, you can always go back and get a full copy.

militarysignatures.com

ODS
Title: Pretty Sweet Guy
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Danse Macabra wrote:

Part of it is. If you read the whole thing, you'll end up knowing more about whales and whaling than you ever cared to. My advice to to find a good abridged version that's all story, and cuts out the excess. If you really like it, you can always go back and get a full copy.

I may.
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I currently hold the record of being the only guy in my high school that has read Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Also, I was big fan for Salinger's work the Laughing man and Catcher in the Rye
Berserk007
Title: Freelance Skull Grinder
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

For my confession they burned me with fire and found I was for endurance made. - The Arabian Nights

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been worming my way through The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. 1950s first Polish Edition as far as I know. I've been trying to get that book read for a year now and yeah...

It sucks. I don't know how it could have been popular back in the day.

I mean, it has a very strong beginning, but as soon as the main characters get to Manor Farm and all these romances start going on, I sorta... Lost focus. I'm going to start it again in November.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nineteen Eighty Four- The most boring book AND we had to watch the movie. I fail to see what's so good about it, and why 1/4 of my friends think it's "AWESOME".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 09:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
I've been worming my way through The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. 1950s first Polish Edition as far as I know. I've been trying to get that book read for a year now and yeah...

I mean, it has a very strong beginning, but as soon as the main characters get to Manor Farm and all these romances start going on, I sorta... Lost focus. I'm going to start it again in November.

Ugh, could not agree more. I love a lot of Dickens' shorter stuff--Christmas Carol, Tale of Two Cities, etc. But his longer, drawn out novels are simply...ugh.

Spra, really not a fan of 1984 eh? Confused That's too bad. How long ago did you read it? And which version of the movie did they show you? The one actually made in 1984 is far better than the ridiculous 50s version. (Although, I can see where if you didn't already appreciate the story, the movie could be quite boring indeed.)

militarysignatures.com

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Nekkoru wrote:

Ugh, could not agree more. I love a lot of Dickens' shorter stuff--Christmas Carol, Tale of Two Cities, etc. But his longer, drawn out novels are simply...ugh.

Spra, really not a fan of 1984 eh? Confused That's too bad. How long ago did you read it? And which version of the movie did they show you? The one actually made in 1984 is far better than the ridiculous 50s version. (Although, I can see where if you didn't already appreciate the story, the movie could be quite boring indeed.)

(I really need to elaborate more on my posts Wink)

We saw the one made in'84, the movie was just too depressing. I understood the political elements and what it was trying to say, I just wasn't feeling it.

We read the book last year, it just didn't grasp my attention as much as I thought it would, the whole alternate historical timeline and newspeak/thought crime was the only thing that grabbed my interest for a bit.

But we never finished it through.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ Well, I have good news for you: if that movie depressed you, then congratulations: you're human and you have a heart! Wink

1984 is one of those books I think you have to actively pay attention TO. Its certainly not exciting in the traditional sense, even towards the end when (spoiler Rolling Eyes ) the shit really hits the fan. I highly advocate you taking another look at in in a few months (or few years) and giving it another chance. I don't think you'll be sorry you did.

militarysignatures.com

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Hobbit.

Man, that was tedious.
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
^ Well, I have good news for you: if that movie depressed you, then congratulations: you're human and you have a heart! Wink

1984 is one of those books I think you have to actively pay attention TO. Its certainly not exciting in the traditional sense, even towards the end when (spoiler Rolling Eyes ) the shit really hits the fan. I highly advocate you taking another look at in in a few months (or few years) and giving it another chance. I don't think you'll be sorry you did.

I started it and stopped. It was almost fatigueing reading 1984, it just didn't hold my attention span and I got confused at times because I'd drift in and out while reading occasionally(reading but thinking of something else).

I want to finish it though, I'll just have to be dedicated next time and take your advice and really pay attention. It definately doesn't seem to be a casual read.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

1984 is indeed awesome. never saw the movie though.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 01:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Those god-awful stories they make you read just because they're old. If I have one more college class that makes me read Beowulf or Gilgamesh, I'll stab myself.

Or, drop the class.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 28 2009 09:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I started reading "Our Mutual Friend" because of its appearance on "LOST", but I didn't make it very far at all. That and if I ever finished it, I would have to die -- or never read another book again.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Reply to topic

Jump to: