[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Effect of Manga/Anime on American culture

Reply to topic
MS-21C Dra-C
Title: Negotiator
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 03:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I watch anime.

Recently I've been thinking about the effect of Anime/manga on American culture and it's youth. I suspect there being a connection between the two seeing how shows such as "Naruto," and "Death Note" have become quite popular. There was once a time where Anime was not generally accepted in mainstream. It seems, however, that Anime is becoming integrated into American culture. Is this change a good thing?

I believe opening people's mind to foreign material is beneficial to a better understanding. In regards to this topic, I have seen several other elements rise from the increasing acceptance of Anime; I'm mainly referencing Otakus.

Like I've said, I've just been musing over this subject. Anyone want to share their thoughts on this?

"I want to thank you doc and... HEIL HITLER!"

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 04:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

*shrug* For one extreme viewpoint, just watch the Chinpokomon episode of South Park.

2.) I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing. I think it's just a cultural shift, but not to the point where you don't still hear girls laughing at some guy for liking Pokemon because they see him with a DVD of End of Evangelion.

3.) This thread would be fine if you were actually discussing MANGA. But it seems that for the most part, you're discussing anime, so this should probably be in the Television forum.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 04:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Or someone laughing at him for liking Evangelion, I'm just sayin'.

And yeah, this probably needs a move. Even if the intent is to be more manga-oriented, it'll turn to an anime discussion really fast.

MS-21C Dra-C
Title: Negotiator
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 04:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had difficulties figuring out which forum this went in. Whoops?

"I want to thank you doc and... HEIL HITLER!"

Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 09:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't some new thing, just because there happen to be a couple of popular anime series on CN or whatever. It's simply that it's more accessible now than (especially in the age of youtube) than it was back in the VHS days where you might have 3-5 anime shows on TV and the tapes were $29 for two episodes. If no companies brough anime to the states, it'd be something else with the dork stigma attached to it, maybe like the Bible or something.

Anime's negative rap comes from Japanophiles who go out of their way to purposely handjob anything Japanese simply because it's Japanese, large men who are far too into fanservice series and their associated merchandise, catear-wearing chicks who use yaoi to satisfy their socially undernourished sexual desires, and whatever other recurring clumps of people who take a form of media too seriously.
Kojjiro!
PostPosted: Aug 08 2009 05:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The affect of America/Europe liking Anime on the Anime industry is pretty interesting too.

IceWarm
PostPosted: Aug 08 2009 09:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have some Pokemon DVDs...deal with it! Very Happy

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 09 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

How about the impact, that Disney is now domestically releasing Anime movies such as Spirited Away, and the new one they are showing trailers for, with the fish girl?
MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Aug 12 2009 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
How about the impact, that Disney is now domestically releasing Anime movies such as Spirited Away, and the new one they are showing trailers for, with the fish girl?
Speaking of Disney releasing anime...
I fucking bought the deluxe version of Totoro a few years ago and they had changed all the voice actors! So that makes me think, what if all the Studio Ghibli movies I've seen since then had shitty voice actors too? It kind of sucks.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Bouya
PostPosted: Aug 12 2009 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MOGHARR wrote:
Knyte wrote:
I fucking bought the deluxe version of Totoro a few years ago and they had changed all the voice actors! So that makes me think, what if all the Studio Ghibli movies I've seen since then had shitty voice actors too? It kind of sucks.

Totoro got a redub because Disney didn't originally have the rights. I think Fox had it? I know it wasn't Disney, though. I still have the mailaway Totoro plushie from that original release, heh.

Similar thing happened with Akira as far as redub, but I don't know if the rights changed hands with that, or they just wanted something halfway coherent.
MOGHARR
PostPosted: Aug 12 2009 05:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bouya wrote:
MOGHARR wrote:
Knyte wrote:

Totoro got a redub because Disney didn't originally have the rights. I think Fox had it? I know it wasn't Disney, though. I still have the mailaway Totoro plushie from that original release, heh.

Similar thing happened with Akira as far as redub, but I don't know if the rights changed hands with that, or they just wanted something halfway coherent.

Well, the version I have is the Troma one.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Bouya
PostPosted: Aug 12 2009 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ yeah, that's the dubbing company's name, apparently.
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Aug 14 2009 02:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Surely you don't mean The Troma responsible for giving us the Toxic Avenger?

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Aug 14 2009 02:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anime is helping more forms independent media reaching the masses. Don't like edited re-dubbed episodes? Hit up youtube.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MOGHARR
PostPosted: Aug 14 2009 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
Surely you don't mean The Troma responsible for giving us the Toxic Avenger?
That's exactly what I thought. My DVD box doesn't say anything about Troma, but I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says it was released by Troma and Fox or something. But I'm almost positive that before the movie starts it says it's from Troma.

Bouya
PostPosted: Aug 15 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fox did the distribution, the dubbing was done by some branch of Troma.
Ratchet573
Title: Awesome
PostPosted: Sep 07 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Manga is beating out the comic book industry. It is much more affordable to buy manga volumes compared to comic books, they contain a lot more depth, and the anime that goes with most manga popularizes it beyond belief.

I love manga...if you couldn't tell by my sig

MOGHARR
PostPosted: Sep 08 2009 06:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just thought you loved really white shirts.

Reply to topic

Jump to: