Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 01:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
So the latest episode was really good.

Agreed.
Rydog wrote:
The attack on the camp was pretty fun as well as the choice of one of the victims being the younger girl.

That was super depressing. It's too early for people to be dying, especially when they just established her character.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Berserk007
Title: Freelance Skull Grinder
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 05:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Rydog wrote:

Agreed.
Rydog wrote:
The attack on the camp was pretty fun as well as the choice of one of the victims being the younger girl.

That was super depressing. It's too early for people to be dying, especially when they just established her character.

That's how The Walking Dead rolls. I really can't believe they only opted for a test 6 episode season, considering the overall genre fan base, as well as the abundance of content available from the comics. I gotta give it to AMC though they have a lot of balls commiting to this,

I mean if someone told me there was going to be a zombie apocalypse TV show coming out the people that brought you Mad Men and Breaking Bad would probably be way down on the list. All in all though it seems that AMC is really giving them the freedom to do what they want, and are really standing behind the production. It's going to be one hell of a long wait for season 2 at least a year and a half is what I hear....I am already jonesing.

For my confession they burned me with fire and found I was for endurance made. - The Arabian Nights

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 09:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

People die way earlier in the comic. There's one character in particular who they make seem pretty important in the TV show who was already dead at this point in the comic.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 09:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Rydog wrote:

Agreed.
Rydog wrote:

I would have rather her older unattractive sister had died. Also, I'm not depressed that the wife beating child molester was killed.

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 09:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
I would have rather her older unattractive sister had died. Also, I'm not depressed that the wife beating child molester was killed.

The older sister, Andrea, is way hotter!

But it was pretty obvious that Ed was going to bite the dust as soon as Carol refused to let their daughter stay in the tent with him. Good riddance.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Who else died? I definitely saw two other characters die, but it was dark and no one really seemed interested that anyone died except Andrea, who was really sad her sister died.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
chazzlabs
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Who else died? I definitely saw two other characters die, but it was dark and no one really seemed interested that anyone died except Andrea, who was really sad her sister died.

I was thinking the same thing. It kind of reminded me of Lost. There seems to be a bunch of extra characters roaming around that you only see when they need to really exaggerate the dire situation they're in.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

LOST actually did have a set number of characters, and eventually the writers got bored and killed off all non-essential Oceanic Flight 815 survivors with flaming arrows. I think they might have even used the same actors for the background characters every time. I know that the writers definitely created a passenger manifest, and that Lostpedia has pages on nearly every single one of them, if not all of them.

One thing with the Walking Dead - the zombies are apparently super quiet and super strong now? They were taking bites out of those people like they were made out of tissue paper. Humans don't really have the proper teeth to do that.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Nov 24 2010 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing that bothered me, was the fact they showed in an earlier episode that they had security traps setup around the camp. (The cans on the strings and such.) What? Did they decide to take them down for the fish festivities?
IceWarm
PostPosted: Nov 25 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

One theory I've seen people talking about is that Merle possibly let the zombies back to the camp and maybe he took the cans down.

I'm also really liking how they are expanding on the comics. By the end of episode four they have only covered maybe the first three issues. There are currently 78 issues. So I'm hoping this show sticks around for quite some time.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Miguelius
Title: 83956789546
PostPosted: Nov 25 2010 02:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw a girl dying also a somehow spanic guy and a black guy was being eaten. I don't recall having seen them earlier though....
Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Nov 28 2010 01:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
One theory I've seen people talking about is that Merle possibly let the zombies back to the camp and maybe he took the cans down.

I got my mom caught up on the show during the Thanksgiving weekend, and she said the same thing.

Would be pretty fucked up. But I wouldn't put it past him. Still, I don't think that's what happened. They we're making a SHIT ton of noise the day before. Car Alarm rolled up, then Merle's brother was honking the Van's Horn to get their attention to get going. Then when they were frogging, they were screaming and splashing like crazy. So my guess was they just drew them in.

I'm also guessing since the camp was majorly breached, they are going to head to the Medical "Gang" and try to move in with them. At least that's what I'd try to do.
Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very Suprised no one is talking about the last episode!

If you haven't seen it. Stop reading my post now.

So someone was at the CDC? Didn't see that shit coming, I thought for sure that was going to be a death trap. Very suprised that they didn't go try to merge with the medical/nursing home group.
So did the CDC Scientist find a cure? or was that just progress towards something? and I missed why he was so pissed about those flesh samples being burned up, was that because he needed fresh zombie meat? If so, there are about 6,000,000 more walking around out side. Open your gate, lure one in, drop his ass. And Bam, more fresh zombie meat.

The previews for the next show looked insane to me as well. I couldn't tell what the hell was happening, but it looked good.
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, I was expecting someone to be at the CDC. One person wasn't exactly the welcoming that they wanted though. I don't think he had a cure, but who knows, he shit got destroyed before being sure what the heck happened.

Agreed that fresh zombie would be pretty easy to acquire. That guy seemed a bit overcautious though, probably not the type to go after a zombie solo.

I'm trying to maintain the frame of mind that this show is about to end right when we are beginning to be pulled into some fluid action. Next week is the last episode for who knows how long.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 09:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

from comicbookmovie.com

The Walking Dead Writers Fired!

According to Deadline, The Walking Dead Director/Executive Producer Frank Darabont has fired the writers of the fan favored First Season!

The Walking Dead, AMC's Comic Book based acclaimed series is about to lose some writing talent courtesy of Frank Darabont.

Deadline reports that "Frank Darabont has let go of the writers on the hot freshman AMC series, which has already renewed for a second season. That includes Darabont's No. 2, writing executive producer Charles “Chic” Eglee. Writer turnover on series between seasons is commonplace but wholesale overhauls are unusual. "

Darabont directed the Pilot episode of the First Season while one of the episodes was written by Robert Kirkman, the writer of the Original Comic Book on which the Show is based. The First season was a total of 6 episodes but the Second season will reportedly have 13 episodes. What exactly does he plan on doing?

"Darabont is looking to forgo having a writing staff for the second season of Walking Dead altogether and assign scripts to freelancers. The freelance model is employed by the Starz/BBC series Torchwood, which in turn borrowed it from the U.K. where the show originated. Having BBC as producer has allowed Torchwood to proceed with no writing staff but I hear such a plan on an U.S.-based network series such as Walking Dead may face issues with the Writers Guild. And, while the first season of Walking Dead was only 6 episodes, its second-season order is for 13, which may prove harder to manage in pre-production, production and post-production with no writing staff.

AMC hasn't given the go-ahead to use freelance writers only. I have a bad feeling about this. According to fans of the Comic Book itself, the show has deviated from the source material. What will this mean for the Second season?

Missed any of the episodes? AMC is having a Season 1 Marathon on Sunday, December 5 starting at 4:30/3:30c to be followed by the Season 1 Finale episode at 10/9c."

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 09:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
According to fans of the Comic Book itself, the show has deviated from the source material.

Yeah, this has been a disappointment for me so far with the TV series. I heard about the TV show before I read any of the comics, but as of now I'm just a few issues away from being completely caught up with them. The comic is incredible.

The newest episode is a great example of that. The CDC stuff never happens in the comic. Instead, they flee their camp and end up somewhere completely different. I thought I had it figured out: They'd leave camp and stumble upon the place they find in the comic. The last episode of season one would end with the group making their way over a hill and seeing this place for the first time. That clearly isn't going to happen.

Also, going back a couple episodes, a friend of mine has a theory that Merle will return as a character who, in the comic book, is an amazing villain.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 02:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's not enough walking on this show. I feel like they're always taking cars or horses.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 02:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm done with this show, to be honest. It's already deviated so widely, and so unnecessarily, from the comic that it doesn't feel like the same story at all. It was a nice try.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
I'm done with this show, to be honest. It's already deviated so widely, and so unnecessarily, from the comic that it doesn't feel like the same story at all. It was a nice try.

At least hold out until after the first ep of season 2, maybe the change in writers will be for the better in terms of accuracy. Either that or we have a case like the RE movies, where they're mostly alright if you keep them out of the main source (the games and Degeneration).

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why would you stop watching just because it's not exactly like the story you already know? Isn't it nice to watch a show where you don't know exactly what's going to happen every single scene?

I guess I'm glad they're deviating a bit from the comic since I plan on checking that out. I'd like at least a little surprise.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 03:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I you either like the show or you don't. Just because a show is based off another source, doesn't mean it will be cut and dry the same.
aeonic
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Why would you stop watching just because it's not exactly like the story you already know? Isn't it nice to watch a show where you don't know exactly what's going to happen every single scene?

I guess I'm glad they're deviating a bit from the comic since I plan on checking that out. I'd like at least a little surprise.

I didn't say exactly. That would be like me turning my nose up at a hamburger from McDonalds because the pickle was placed differently on the meat patty. I'm not saying that I don't mind deviation, especially when there's a literary work that's adapted to a more visual format like a tv program, provided it adds to/enhances the story or serves to replicate conditions that aren't achievable given the show's scope/budget.

What I'm saying is that I'm rapidly losing a desire to watch the show because of it's DEGREE of deviance from the source material. I was attracted to The Walking Dead due to the cast of characters that it had, their interactions, and the general progression of the storyline. Nothing that's been added, in my opinion, lends anything to richening the experience or giving me a different perspective of certain characters; it's just more people to keep track of. Likewise, changing places that the characters go or the situations they find themselves in doesn't bring any additional emotional elements to the story, doesn't add to narrative. It's just confusing and handled poorly, like they took the three first issues and tacked a bunch of stuff onto them.

I'll stick with the comics, and I'll give it a look in season two, but unless the sack of the writers brings it more in line with the comics but lets them do their own thing, I'm done. I'll read the books. I wanted to see a show adaptation of Kirkman's The Walking Dead, and what I'm getting is more like "a true story inspired by real events" version of it.

Miguelius
Title: 83956789546
PostPosted: Dec 02 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care that it's different. I always watch every movie/show as an independent product (independent froma book, comic, or even another film if it's a remake). For the moment I must say I'm loving The Dead Walking. I can hardly wait for the last episode. Sadly, I WILL have to wait for the second season. Maybe in that whilke I'll read the comics, but I doubt it. I've downloaded a whole bunch but just read the first two issues...
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 02 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They're always like "The city is unsafe! The city is unsafe!"

If it's so unsafe, why hasn't anyone died there?
aeonic
PostPosted: Dec 02 2010 01:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
They're always like "The city is unsafe! The city is unsafe!"

If it's so unsafe, why hasn't anyone died there?

Tell that to the zombies in the city Wink

Reply to topic

Jump to: