The Dark Knight Rises

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 23 2012 08:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
Alowishus wrote:
username wrote:
Alowishus wrote:
Okay i just saw it and i will make some general comments about what i thought then some spoiler stuff hidden.

Firstly i thought the film was okay. Maybe slightly above average. It didn't blow my mind or anything. I'll just say it is NOT better than the Dark Knight but even without comparing it really when i was watching it i wasn't like "oh my god this film is fucking astounding" i was like it's okay. When i went to see the Dark Knight i was like that when i was watching it, i was on the edge of my seat. It just wasn't the case with this.

Like it wasn't a bad film, i would outright say it was. It seemed to play up the jokes a lot. I'm not sure why this was. The second film did have jokes with the Joker (obviously by name) but they seemed a bit weird or out of place here - granted some where kinda funny but some of them just seemed forced.

Bane was good. His voice was really cool it sounded like a mixture of Psycho Mantis and Deckard Cain i thought. He was a good villain and had plenty of good lines/monologues.

As for the plot, it was pretty generic i thought, it didn't really wow me in that department. The scenes with Michael Caine i thought were pretty bad, the acting was a bit crap and the dialogue was a bit, "you serious?"

Okay spoiler time.
[SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]Right the ending was total BS lol. I wanted Batman to die and it was really cheesy and annoying how it cut to Caine sitting in the restaurant which was referenced earlier in the film about "oh i want to see you Mr Wayne sitting across from me in my dream or whatever and they fucking did that at the end. Him sitting with Catwoman. I was like are you serious? You just should have let him die and that's it.

However it seemed almost tacked on at the end i am hoping that Alfred just went mad or some shit at the end and that's how he wanted it to turn out and it was all in his head because i am nearly 100% sure he was distraught and sitting having a drink and then he looks over and there he is with Selina Kyle.

Also if they make a fucking sequel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin i am going to become destroyer of the world because it was said there would be no more Batmans but that doesn't mean there won't be Robins![/SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]

[SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]yeah, i was hoping he died, but whatever. that ending was cheesy. it wouldve been cooler if they had gone the Bourne Ultimatum way and had a shot of him swimming away leaving us to wonder wtf happened.

anyhow, as some reviews have said, batman was definitely a secondary character in this movie. it was more about catwoman/bane/blake vs it being about batman. even at 3 hours long, the movie felt rushed IMO. some of the character development wasnt fully fleshed out.

aside from those gripes, i did enjoy the movie quite a bit. i thought it was fun. the action scenes were great. the dialogue was decent. thumbs up from me.

as you said, it is definitely no Dark Knight. but we all knew that was going to be the case. nothing can live up to that magnificent film.[/SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]

[SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff] the more i think about Batmans death the return makes less sense (at the end in the restaurant).

It was clearly stated that the blast radius for the nuke was something like 4 or 6 miles - it was one of those two. It showed him in the bat and then the nuke went off. There is no possible way that he could have ejected and the bat flew outside the radius in which he would have got killed. The nuke would have to have got him i.e. he would have ejected and got in the blast radius.

This is now the ending i am sticking to and that Alfred went mad in the end with sorrow and he thought he saw him and Selina after heavy drinking.[/SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]

[SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff] That was kind of the whole point of the autopilot they alluded to throughout the movie with Lucius. At the point Batman takes off in the Bat he knows he can just autopilot it away and be nowhere near it. Half the reason the movie is so long is because it is littered with all these sub-plots to help it all come full circle.[/SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]

[SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]But what happened in the film is it shows Batman sitting in the cockpit of the Bat and then the next frame is the explosion. I am totally aware that there was an autopilot function but the fact is the way it was shown alluded to the fact that he was sitting in the bat and 1 second later it exploded....and also in that one second there is no way he could have escaped the bat and been clear of the blast radius the 4/6 mile explosion[/SPOILER:0d3a4b59ff]
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 23 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:

[SPOILER:36cfa592bc]But what happened in the film is it shows Batman sitting in the cockpit of the Bat and then the next frame is the explosion. I am totally aware that there was an autopilot function but the fact is the way it was shown alluded to the fact that he was sitting in the bat and 1 second later it exploded....and also in that one second there is no way he could have escaped the bat and been clear of the blast radius the 4/6 mile explosion[/SPOILER:36cfa592bc]

[SPOILER:36cfa592bc]Well, the batmobile had an escape "batpod" in the last movie, why wouldn't the batwing have a similar escape pod? Although, all the radiation issues are still annoying.[/SPOILER:36cfa592bc]

[SPOILER:36cfa592bc]Overall, for me, the movie was not flawless, but I still immensely enjoyed it. It was a bit long, and the first half was pretty slow, but I thought the ending was awesome. Bruce Wayne deserves to go into retirement, and be with Catwoman. It's the perfect ending for his story arc, while simultaneously having his alter-ego die like King Arthur. I was very glad that they were also able to fit Talia al-ghul and Robin into it as well. I'm no fan of Robin, but this was a good "use" of him.

I enjoyed the politics of the film too. Bane seemed like a miniature, modern-era version of Napoleon to me. Inserting Dr. Crane into that was a nice touch, too.[/SPOILER:36cfa592bc]
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 23 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

[SPOILER:5498e94390]But what happened in the film is it shows Batman sitting in the cockpit of the Bat and then the next frame is the explosion. I am totally aware that there was an autopilot function but the fact is the way it was shown alluded to the fact that he was sitting in the bat and 1 second later it exploded....and also in that one second there is no way he could have escaped the bat and been clear of the blast radius the 4/6 mile explosion[/SPOILER:5498e94390]

[SPOILER:5498e94390]Well, the batmobile had an escape "batpod" in the last movie, why wouldn't the batwing have a similar escape pod? Although, all the radiation issues are still annoying.[/SPOILER:5498e94390]

[SPOILER:5498e94390]Overall, for me, the movie was not flawless, but I still immensely enjoyed it. It was a bit long, and the first half was pretty slow, but I thought the ending was awesome. Bruce Wayne deserves to go into retirement, and be with Catwoman. It's the perfect ending for his story arc, while simultaneously having his alter-ego die like King Arthur. I was very glad that they were also able to fit Talia al-ghul and Robin into it as well. I'm no fan of Robin, but this was a good "use" of him.

I enjoyed the politics of the film too. Bane seemed like a miniature, modern-era version of Napoleon to me. Inserting Dr. Crane into that was a nice touch, too.[/SPOILER:5498e94390]

[SPOILER:5498e94390]Lol enjoy your polluted water Gotham! Yeah i thought his role as the "judge" was awesome[/SPOILER:5498e94390]
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jul 23 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw it, liked it. I think it may be the least good of the trilogy from a film perspective, but it was my personal favorite for the emotion alone. Really, really liked it.

[SPOILER:b10e697bea]The sequences with Bruce escaping from the prison choked me up quite significantly. And then freaking Michael Caine turned on the damn waterworks at the end. Jeeze.

Talia was badass, and a fantastic surprise. Should have seen it coming, totally didn't.

Also, Cillian Murphy for the FUCKING WIN! I loved Crane as the judge and jury of the rich folk.[/SPOILER:b10e697bea]

Also, who else is totally irritated every time they pronounce Ra's name wrong? It's "rasche" dammit! RASCHE! Not "RAHS!"

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jul 23 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the CGI Joker was a bad idea. But I enjoyed the rest of the movie. It wasn't spectacular but it was decent like others have said. I really liked Bane and Catwoman. Those 2 should've had more scenes.
Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Jul 23 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't remember a CGI Joker.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 24 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

This was a Batman movie, right? I had to keep reminding myself of that, because there wasn't a whole lot of Batman.

Bane was kinda lame. His voice was SO FUCKING GOOFY. I'm pretty sure I once wondered what Sean Connery would have sounded like as Darth Vader. Now I know.

Overall I found this watchable, it could have been way worse.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Jul 24 2012 01:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I thought I was watching a Michael Bay movie at the end. Why the fuck was batman having a CGI jerkoff session doing loop-de-loops dodging missiles when he was on a bomb time limit? I kept thinking "use a countermeasure idiot".

I kept falling asleep through the entire thing. Honestly I was just bored as fuck with it.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 24 2012 04:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
This was a Batman movie, right? I had to keep reminding myself of that, because there wasn't a whole lot of Batman..

batman was definitely a tertiary character, but his character was already fleshed out from the previous two movies. we just needed a couple of sentences to know wtf was happening w/him & be fully up to date on him. the other time was spent building up the new characters, which even then, didnt seem fully fleshed out

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 24 2012 06:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
I thought I was watching a Michael Bay movie at the end. Why the fuck was batman having a CGI jerkoff session doing loop-de-loops dodging missiles when he was on a bomb time limit? I kept thinking "use a countermeasure idiot".

Seriously. Like, I know that it was established earlier in the film (as well as the other films) that Batman doesn't like killing people, but THEY'RE FIRING FUCKING MISSILES AT YOU DUDE. I think it's probably okay to end them.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jul 29 2012 02:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I finally saw this and I thought it was a neat way to end the series. I was honestly hoping throughout the ending that...
[SPOILER:fe64077809]Batman didn't actually die, so I was actually happy to see that. Yeah, it's cheesy, but still.[/SPOILER:fe64077809]
However...
[SPOILER:fe64077809]Um, did Bane actually die? If so, when? I seriously don't even remember him dying. The last scene I remember with him was him standing over Batman as the hot chick from Inception walked away from them. I keep thinking I went to the bathroom or something when they mentioned what happened to Bane, but I could swear I didn't get up during the last hour of the movie.[/SPOILER:fe64077809]

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 29 2012 03:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
[SPOILER:e23c042d07]Um, did Bane actually die? If so, when? I seriously don't even remember him dying. The last scene I remember with him was him standing over Batman as the hot chick from Inception walked away from them. I keep thinking I went to the bathroom or something when they mentioned what happened to Bane, but I could swear I didn't get up during the last hour of the movie.[/SPOILER:e23c042d07]

[SPOILER:e23c042d07]Yeah, he went out like a bitch when Catwoman blasted him with the Batpod. Anti-climactic way to end the main villain, in my opinion.[/SPOILER:e23c042d07]

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jul 29 2012 03:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Cameron wrote:
[SPOILER:baea30a654]Um, did Bane actually die? If so, when? I seriously don't even remember him dying. The last scene I remember with him was him standing over Batman as the hot chick from Inception walked away from them. I keep thinking I went to the bathroom or something when they mentioned what happened to Bane, but I could swear I didn't get up during the last hour of the movie.[/SPOILER:baea30a654]

[SPOILER:baea30a654]Yeah, he went out like a bitch when Catwoman blasted him with the Batpod. Anti-climactic way to end the main villain, in my opinion.[/SPOILER:baea30a654]

[SPOILER:baea30a654]THAT'S what killed him?! I must've been zoning out or something. Either way, yeah, the least they could do is freaking show him dying onscreen.[/SPOILER:baea30a654]

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 29 2012 03:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[SPOILER:5d74f8fad5]everyone is saying that bane & talia died. they never explicitly said they died. i thought bane was just knocked out by the batpod and that talia was knocked out by the truck crash.[/SPOILER:5d74f8fad5]

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 29 2012 03:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
[SPOILER:8ab53c510e]everyone is saying that bane & talia died. they never explicitly said they died. i thought bane was just knocked out by the batpod and that talia was knocked out by the truck crash.[/SPOILER:8ab53c510e]

[SPOILER:8ab53c510e]She sure seemed to die right after they talked to her. She did the whole awesome "ah fuck, I'm dying *collapse*" acting job. And if the batpod's blast was tearing apart tanks and cars...I'm guessing that was enough to take a human being out, even if it was Bane.[/SPOILER:8ab53c510e]

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Aug 01 2012 06:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Buttman BigOnes
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 03 2012 05:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
username wrote:
[SPOILER:f79c03f816]everyone is saying that bane & talia died. they never explicitly said they died. i thought bane was just knocked out by the batpod and that talia was knocked out by the truck crash.[/SPOILER:f79c03f816]

[SPOILER:f79c03f816]She sure seemed to die right after they talked to her. She did the whole awesome "ah fuck, I'm dying *collapse*" acting job. And if the batpod's blast was tearing apart tanks and cars...I'm guessing that was enough to take a human being out, even if it was Bane.[/SPOILER:f79c03f816]

This is supposed to be last the movie anyway. Any cliffhangers or unresolved plots will remain cliffhangers or unresolved.
Lasher
Title: an horse
PostPosted: Aug 04 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:
username wrote:
[SPOILER:1a515a74c7]everyone is saying that bane & talia died. they never explicitly said they died. i thought bane was just knocked out by the batpod and that talia was knocked out by the truck crash.[/SPOILER:1a515a74c7]

[SPOILER:1a515a74c7]She sure seemed to die right after they talked to her. She did the whole awesome "ah fuck, I'm dying *collapse*" acting job. And if the batpod's blast was tearing apart tanks and cars...I'm guessing that was enough to take a human being out, even if it was Bane.[/SPOILER:1a515a74c7]

This is supposed to be last the movie anyway. Any cliffhangers or unresolved plots will remain cliffhangers or unresolved.

Which is a bit of a shame really. Basically, Batman starts out year one and takes out a ninja clan trained in the way he is trained (Like Turtles). He takes out Joker and watches his friend become a villain (Like Harry Osborne). Then the ninja clan comes back with a new leader (Like Turtles) and then that's it, story over. There's no Riddler, Penguin, Freeze, Ivy, or the greatest villain of all, King Tut!

[SPOILER:1a515a74c7]What's the point of him getting to pork Talia if she doesn't live to give birth to Damien Wayne, his one true son and the fourth Robin?

I love the Nolan movies, but in a way he kind of made it an uneventful universe by killing everyone. Ironically, he didn't kill the Joker, but then the actor died.[/SPOILER:1a515a74c7]

get your ass to mars

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 04 2012 06:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Finally saw it. I don't think I can say anything about the movie that hasn't already been said at this point. However, the trailer for Man Of Steel (personally, I'd have gone with Man Of Tomorrow) looked intriguing.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Aug 05 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm coming into this blind, but I finally saw this movie.

This was the ending Batman needed. Everything felt wrapped up nicely and the stakes were raised high enough to make you wonder if they'd get there in time. If they did, sometimes they'd raise the stakes even more.

Anne Hathaway is an insanely sexy Selina Kyle. She has the sexiness, sass, and kick ass ability Catwoman needs.

Bane isn't my favorite villain. He's like a cross between Sean Connery and Shredder if Connery's voice were also muffled.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt rocked his part in the film He's still at that point for me I can believe he's a character and not see the actor all the time.

I'm a Christopher Nolan fan after this. That guy can make movies. This was a near perfect film.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 05 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher, technically Damien would be the 5th Robin. Stephanie Brown was the 4th, who later became the third Batgirl.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 05 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't Stephanie Brown that bitch who wrote Twilight?
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

No, that's Stephanie Meyer.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

SPOILERS (Duh):

You can only fit so much from 70 years of stories into three movies Lasher. I think it's ok if they can't fit in the fifth Robin. Besides, you can theorize that Talia was impregnated by Bruce before Bane defeated him the first time, then she barely survived that crash, the remnants of the League of Shadows took her body, nursed it four more months, allowing her to give birth before she finally succumbed to her injuries possibly, and then Damian Wayne grows up, and causes trouble for a veteran John Blake/Batman before reforming from his LoS lifestyle to become the third Batman.

Although, no Riddler and the like is unfortunate. Nolan did touch much of the lore and got most of the essential stuff in to make what is, in my opinion, a definitive movie version of the character.
Izzy
Title: Mascot Gold
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One continuity issue:

[SPOILER:98e43b5043]
Gordon is captured after putting the GPS trackers on the the vehicles holding the bomb (decoys too). Tate is capture with him. At the court, after they are given their sentence, Bane calls for Tate to come to him as the rest head off to exile.
Bruce returns to Gotham and meets with Lucius. Tate is there with him and Bruce promises to come back for her.
Then the next time we see Tate is after Batman throws Bane through the window, she looks like she is being held hostage, and we end up finding out who she really is.
[/SPOILER:98e43b5043]

It didn't ruin the movie for me, my favorite of the trilogy, but it was the one thing that bugged me.

Reply to topic

Jump to: