[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Video Game "Detox"

Reply to topic
Gushoshin
Title: guardian of death
PostPosted: Jun 10 2006 08:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Detox Clinic Set for Video Game Addicts

By FIA CURLEY

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - An addiction center is opening Europe's first detox clinic for video game addicts, offering in-house treatment for people who can't leave their joysticks alone.

Video games may look innocent, but they can be as addictive as gambling or drugs - and just as hard to kick, says Keith Bakker, director of Amsterdam-based Smith & Jones Addiction Consultants.

Bakker already has treated 20 video game addicts, aged 13 to 30, since January. Some show withdrawal symptoms, such as shaking and sweating, when they look at a computer console.

His detox program begins in July. It will run four to eight weeks, and will include therapy sessions, wilderness excursions, healthy lifestyle workshops and possibly medication.

Research into video gaming is still in its infancy, and researchers haven't agreed on how to define addiction. But many experts say it's clear many of the young people who show dependency on video games are in trouble.

"We have kids who don't know how to communicate with people face-to-face because they've spent the last three years talking to somebody in Korea through a computer," Bakker said. "Their social network has completely disappeared."

It can start with a Game Boy, perhaps given by parents hoping to keep their children occupied but away from the television. From there, it can progress to multilevel games that aren't made to be won.

Bakker said he has seen signs of addiction in children as young as 8.

About a dozen clinics already exist in the United States and Canada, and even one in China, as excessive gaming increasingly is being recognized worldwide as an ailment requiring treatment.

Elizabeth Woolley, who founded the Safe Haven halfway house for addicted gamers in Harrisburg, Pa., welcomed the idea that treating addicts is spreading to the Netherlands. "Thank God that somebody has finally recognized this is an issue," she said.

Jeroen Jansz, associate professor of communications research at the University of Amsterdam, estimates about 80 percent of boys aged 8 to 18 play some type of video game. Forty percent play at least 2 1/2 hours a day.

In a 2005 study, Jansz said gamers are overwhelmingly males, especially in violent games where adolescents find "a safe private laboratory where they can experience different emotions."

Hyke van der Heijden, 28, a graduate of the Amsterdam program, started playing video games 20 years ago. By the time he was in college he was gaming about 14 hours a day and using drugs to play longer.

"For me, one joint would never be enough, or five minutes of gaming would never be enough," he said. "I would just keep going until I crashed out."

Van der Heijden first went to Smith & Jones for drug addiction in October 2005, but realized the gaming was the real problem. Since undergoing treatment, he has distanced himself from his smoking and gaming friends. He says he has been drug- and game-free for eight months.

Like other addicts, Bakker said, gamers are often trying to escape personal problems. When they play, their brains produce endorphins, giving them a high similar to that experienced by gamblers or drug addicts. Gamers' responses to questions even mirror those of alcoholics and gamblers when asked about use.

"Many of these kids believe that when they sit down, they're going to play two games and then do their homework," he said.

However, unlike other addicts, most gamers received their first game from their parents. "Because it's so new, parents don't see that this is something that can be dangerous," Bakker said.

Tim, a gamer who is under treatment, agreed to discuss his addiction on condition that his last name not be used. He said he began playing video games three years ago at age 18. Soon, he would not leave his room for dinner. Later, he began taking drugs to stay awake and play longer. Finally, he sought help and picked up other hobbies to occupy his time.

Richard Wood, a professor of International Gaming Research Unit at Nottingham Trent University, is skeptical about viewing heavy gamers as addicts. Wood says that gaming may be a symptom of a problem, but should be seen as a problem itself "just because a person does the activity a lot."

Bakker, however, says symptoms of addiction are easy to spot. Parents should take notice if a child neglects usual activities, spends several hours at a time with the computer and has no social life.

Bakker said parents of game addicts frequently echo the words of partners of cocaine addicts: "'I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know what it was.'"

Warning! Mini-Rant Alert!

This Article really pissed me off! So blatantly biased and one sided!
My dog in the fight is i am a die-hard gamer and i pretty much only talk to "pro-videogame" people/have them as friends. I might be speaking too much for them but my friends (all 2 of them) and my brother and his friends are pretty much the same way.

I thought the people who use the "video game" fourm ought to read this, as syd and his friend, nay everyone on this site is probably "pro-game" and if you are an Anti, then get the hell out of here!!!!

Steve Gavazzi, Marc Green
Jon Sly! It's time to play... WHICH DOUCHEBAG SAID THIS????

"I'm curious -- which mountain climber was used in Cliff Hangers?"

Happy anniversary you fucking wankers!

Deezee
Title: Disregard me.
PostPosted: Jun 10 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's not that biased. Some of the lines are a little ridiculous, but seriously, some people do go WAY TOO FAR when they play games. It's not as if the article is trying to say that all gamers everywhere are addicts, or that if you start playing videogames you're going to go down the straight and narrow path to a rehab clinic.

I see no problem with clinics being set up to help such people (remember the story of the guy in Korea or somewhere that played games for like 3 days straight and died?). This crap's real, some people can take it too far, and they should be helped / intervention'd. When you're, for example, TAKING DRUGS TO PLAY LONGER, then maybe something's wrong, eh?

Also note: I have played videogames since I was age 2, and while I used to play a lot more than I do now, I still play a fair bit. Hell, I run a LAN party in my home town and am heavily involved with the PC portion of the Penny Arcade EXPO.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Gushoshin
PostPosted: Jun 10 2006 08:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DeeZee Wrote:
Quote:
It's not that biased.

You are entitled to your opinion and i respect it, but i disagree with it somewhat. My main point is Deezee; you know all these videogame stories in the media? How come there isn't equal (or any for that matter) time for pro-gamers? You know, that gosh darn 1st Amendment is for the anti's however it NEVER seems to be there for "our" side; "The Side Of The Gamer" As it were.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 04:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is completely unrelated, but my last few dozen web searches have brought up gamer boards as the top results. The reason being because they talk about everything (not unlike our own forum Twisted Evil ), but it's really starting to bug me when their pages come up as results. About 90% of the time it's irrelevant nonsense.

It's just sad to see post conversations like:
bpala25: It's a fact that women love gay guys ...that explains it
HayateUnknown : That probably explains why girls feel comfortable and "natural" around me
adidas198: Haha...you called yourself gay.
Twilight_Prince12: How did all of these posts happen in like 2 minutes? I just posted that like a second ago. And I don't understand most of the replies.

Pointless? I'll say. Thousands and thousands of posts... Posts screwing up my webpage searching. Stop wasting my time to find relevant information, you jackasses!

I'm getting real sick of this subculture... no offense to anyone on these boards. Cool

*Please take this post with a grain of salt*

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 07:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gushosin, as the article said, 80% of males ages 8-18 play video games and 40% play at least 2½ hours a day. That's probably why there's no "pro-video game media", there doesn't need to be. I also found the article to be fair as well, especially with the Korean guy that played WoW so long he died. Those people have a problem that needs to be addressed. Besides, there must be some point in your life you can recall where you got a little too into video games. The summer that Diablo 2 came out is what my friends and I started calling "the black summer", because all any of us wanted to do was play Diablo. We'd get together to hang out or something, and then after like an hour we'd all just want to go home and play Diablo. And of course we were all on dialup, so we weren't even playing together.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Gushoshin
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 09:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jeebus Wrote:
Quote:
Besides, there must be some point in your life you can recall where you got a little too into video games.

Good point as well, My dog in the fight, last summer i played X-Men Legends for many hours of the day. Man, am i going to get a lot of flak about this from my brother. Last week, (exactly 7 days ago in fact) i was told "what-for" for a few other posts i made.

I Dunno. Too ME ANYWAY, the article seemed to convey that all gamers were a bunch of violent drug users and that videogames were the heart of all evil itself. Which of course is NOT TRUE!!!!

This is the first (and almost certainly LAST )time i ever start a thread again! I bet i am a "close second" on the regalsin "hit"list.

G.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gushoshin wrote:
...the article seemed to convey that all gamers were a bunch of violent drug users and that videogames were the heart of all evil itself. Which of course is NOT TRUE!!!!
This is the first (and almost certainly LAST )time i ever start a thread again! I bet i am a "close second" on the regalsin "hit"list.
G.

I think I can safely say that I, as well as at least the majority of the forum-goers here do not want to put a hit on you nor find your opinion on the article as a "claxon for a'linchin."

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Tebor
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Gushoshin wrote:

G.

I think I can safely say that I, as well as at least the majority of the forum-goers here do not want to put a hit on you nor find your opinion on the article as a "claxon for a'linchin."

No kidding, start all the threads you want. You are more than welcome here. Very Happy

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 02:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All I can say about this is, "good for you", to the people who admit they have a problem and legitimately tried to kick it. I know I have a problem with video games, but I'll be damned if I'm about to do anything about it.
Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 03:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's all about the content. Videogames are evil if you play them a lot, but if you read a lot of fiction novels that's all right. The kids taking drugs to play games longer have more problems than games. These articles used to piss me off, after so long, you just get tired of 'em, they all say the same bullshit.
Tebor
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 03:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sock wrote:
(I)f you play them a lot, but if you read a lot of fiction novels that's all right.

Going to have to agree with that. Sure the book industry is down millions of dollars, but you don't get more respect than when you're reading a book in public. However, there are still some books I don't want to be seen reading in public... and there's people on my local train reading other books which I have to give them the shifty eye for reading. No, reading is just as controversial, but it's more "under the surface" than video games. None of us ever talk of it allowed. We only make fusses when children start pursuing witchcraft and adults start reading "kids" books. Or someone plagerizes a book... oy... Apparently, straining the mind to read is more respectable than straining it with your hands and mind. But I'm biased myself Embarrassed

RegalSin
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 04:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well the thing is Video Games is the greatest form of Entertainment.
VG pulls and brings pictures, Sounds, video, and even words, and voices that can
advert, teach, and send messages about one society.

E.G. In Beyond Good & Evil the computer AI marks "Stupid Optima service" .

IN our world Optimun is a real service and to be honest is getting on my nerves when having to tlak to them when my IP will not change and I keep getting disconnected ever single minute.

HOwefver games are better then Telivision the fact instead of just stearing at a wall you are thinking, feeling emotions, and even being educated.

Yes games are adictive the fact that yes when you think or do anything your body releases all kinds of enziymes. So being hit with all kinds of data will obviously force your body to release something in reaction to this data.

Personally a person being addicted to games is better then a person being addicted to telivsion, drugs, stealing, buring things, being submissive or a stort, and even sex.

Again do we really need game ? NO. Why do we have them. Well it's better then telivision and parents are too lazy to find anything fun to do with there children especially single mothers who live in crap parts of town.

However in places like Japane Video Games are normal form of entertainment adn education. YEs it's addictive but then again American parents are lazy and rather care about them selfs then there kids.
Tebor
PostPosted: Jun 11 2006 09:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Regs, seek help, man. Seek help.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jun 12 2006 04:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

so.....

who wants to play WOW?

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Jun 12 2006 06:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

You don't so much play WoW as you go to work on it like a second day job. When my friends go to play WoW, I say, "Enjoy your interactive monthly bill."
Gushoshin
PostPosted: Jun 12 2006 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene Wrote:
Quote:
All I can say about this is, "good for you", to the people who admit they have a problem and legitimately tried to kick it. I know I have a problem with video games, but I'll be damned if I'm about to do anything about it.

JEW Wrote: *nice icon btw*
Quote:
so.....

who wants to play WOW?

That is more the attitude i wanted to first here! Razz
Seriously tho, That article makes it sound like videogames are a problem that is so gosh darn horrible! As long as people do not break the law (IE using illegal drugs to stay awake) they should pretty much be able to do what-ever-the-fuck-they-want!

Now if people want to flame me now, go ahead. Games before forum unpopularity!

Deezee
Title: Disregard me.
PostPosted: Jun 12 2006 07:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sock wrote:
It's all about the content. Videogames are evil if you play them a lot, but if you read a lot of fiction novels that's all right. The kids taking drugs to play games longer have more problems than games. These articles used to piss me off, after so long, you just get tired of 'em, they all say the same bullshit.

That's a good point.

I guess the thing that kept me from thinking it was biased was the fact that most of the people in the article were taking drugs to play longer and that kind of thing. But I agree, if people spend too much time reading books or watching movies or listening to music, it's not cast in as negative of a light as playing videogames too much. There are bad books, bad movies, and bad music, just like there are bad videogames. What people forget is that there are good videogames, too.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jun 13 2006 03:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gushoshin wrote:
JEW Wrote: *nice icon btw*
Quote:
so.....

who wants to play WOW?

That is more the attitude i wanted to first here! Razz

Now if people want to flame me now, go ahead. Games before forum unpopularity!

thanks

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 13 2006 09:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Video game addiction is a serious problem that isn't funny at all. Here's an SNL clip that proves it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAc_MQgFEds&search=snl%20pac%20man

This documentary was done in the 80s and emulation has since curbed the problem significantly, but apparently some people will still do anything for quarters.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Jun 13 2006 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Video game addiction is a serious problem that isn't funny at all. Here's an SNL clip that proves it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAc_MQgFEds&search=snl%20pac%20man

This documentary was done in the 80s and emulation has since curbed the problem significantly, but apparently some people will still do anything for quarters.

Poor, poor Timmy...

I want to know who that one guy was who laughed mightily before anyone else did in junkie alley. What a perv. Confused

Gushoshin
PostPosted: Jun 15 2006 08:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd that was great! I love that clip. I actully saw that rerun a few months ago. I love 80s/eddie murphy era SNL. And Pre-taped SNL segmants almost always rock...

Reply to topic

Jump to: