"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Stephen King's Desperation

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: May 24 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea what to make of this movie.

I haven't read the book, so forgive any ignorance I might have.

The film was actually pretty freaky for me for the first forty minutes or so, but once that kid David started preaching about praying and God, I got a little confused. It's customary to have a religious character in any story. This is the first story I've seen where the child is that zealot. The other characters don't seem to be too down with the Lord and even David's mother yells at him for praying.

Okay, I can accept all that. I love the God and I believe in fate.

Then the film turns out not to be about crazy ole Ron Perlman, but about the mistreated Chinese... I mean, a demon from the Earth! Phew--- I'll take crazy fantasy monsters over Chinese abuse anyday. Still, I couldn't help but feel the movie dropped in interest for me around the hour and a half mark.

There's some good and bad things about it. There's the usual bad CG effects. But there's more blood splatter in this film than I've seen in any other made for TV movie. Things seem to balance each other out.

I guess my problem with it is that it didn't draw any emotion from me one way or the other. "Storm of the Century" and even "Rose Red" both accomplished that. I applaud "Storm" more and more every time I think about it, while I have deep feelings of hate evertime I think of "Rose" (not that I hated it, but because it struck a nerve that I can't let go).

"Desperation" was... I don't know. Was it good? Was it bad? I know I'll have to see it again.

So anyone else catch it?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Reply to topic

Jump to: