SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What do you think of the White Stripes?

Reply to topic
OctoMan
PostPosted: Sep 22 2005 09:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think they're alright. I remember a few months ago, before I had even heard them, I saw the picture of Jack Whyte on the CD in a store and I was like 'wow, this must be the first new band I've seen in a long time that is not afraid to actually look like rock stars', which automatically impresses me.

As far as the music goes, I mean, it's a little different, not as hard-rocking as I had hoped, but I still think it's catchy. I watch the videos on yahoo music videos, anyway.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 22 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think they suck in a big way, but I've only heard the two songs that got radio play. Maybe it was only one, I dunno. I just remember some song that was obnoxiously catchy in a way, but had this constant feeling like it was building to something and then never did. I don't even think it had verses, the whole song was like one dull five minute chorus.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Sep 22 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

'The Hardest Button To Button' was a little mediocre, but I think 'Seven Nation Army' is great, and the video is really well done. The first time I heard 'White Orchid' I didn't ike it because there was no high-hat. Then I found out that it was Meg drumming, and started liking the songs. Overall, I think they're pretty innovative for a two-person band.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 22 2005 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They're pretty good. When they come on the radio, I generally don't change it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 23 2005 02:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
'The Hardest Button To Button' was a little mediocre, but I think 'Seven Nation Army' is great, and the video is really well done. The first time I heard 'White Orchid' I didn't ike it because there was no high-hat. Then I found out that it was Meg drumming, and started liking the songs. Overall, I think they're pretty innovative for a two-person band.

If you didn't like the drumming, why would your opinion change just because of who was playing?
Valdronius
PostPosted: Sep 23 2005 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I guess it's not that I didn't like the drumline, I just thought it was a little brash for a new band to pull something like that. I guess I give more leeway to the Stripes.

Klimbatize wrote:

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 24 2005 04:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But that still doesn't answer the question...
Valdronius
PostPosted: Sep 24 2005 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Let's see. Say, for example, you had a crappy radio with no bass capability. If you were to hear RHCP's 'By The Way', and not know it was RHCP, you might think that a guitar riff that's almost completely comprised of muted sixteenth notes was a pretty terrible riff. Once you found out that it was RHCP, you might understand that it's not crappy guitar playing, but rather an underscore to Flea's riff.

Normally I believe that the drumline is an integral part of a song, but in the case of the Whtie Stripes, Meg's playing is more of an underscore to Jack's bass/guitar and vocals, than something that's meant to stand out.

I hope that's a bit more clear.

Klimbatize wrote:

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 26 2005 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I understand your point, I just disagree. Your analogy is also flawed since in that one you find out that you heard the song a radio with shitty bass, rather than finding out that the drummer was some girl. They're signifcantly different realizations.
Reply to topic

Jump to: