"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
90s Action Movies Gaining Respect?

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Mar 29 2006 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While in a film discussion today, our professor mentions "Last Action Hero" as being a huge bomb (which it was, roughly only $50 million - $10 under budget). Immediately, a kid jumped up and defended the film. I never felt so proud... :')
This conversation led to the class agreeing that LAH was good. It also quickly moved into "Demolition Man" territory, which also seems to have developed a large cult following in the last five years.

This strikes me as amusing because in a book about big Hollywood "bombs" I was reading a couple of months ago, LAH is listed as being in the same ranks as "Waterworld", "Battlefield: Earth", and "Ishtar". "Demolition Man", while not a bomb, did not make a ton of money when it was first released (only about $58 million, which is immediately poor performance for a Stallone action vehicle... bastard Hollywood...)

But check around the internet (especially this site) and see a plethora of LAH and DM references and jokes. In a way, these films are the new "Army of Darkness".

My question is: What under appreciated 90's action film deserves to be the next cult classic? Something hated by adults when it was first released, but beloved by children?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 29 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
My question is: What under appreciated 90's action film deserves to be the next cult classic? Something hated by adults when it was first released, but beloved by children?

Demolition Man was freakin' great. I don't think I know a single person who's seen it and doesn't enjoy it. Wesley Snipes' death scene could have been better, but that was the only downside.

In response to your question, here are some possibilities:

The Long Kiss Goodnight
Escape From LA
Soldier
Eraser
Bulletproof
The Game
The Shadow
Brain Smasher: A Love Story
Starship Troopers
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 02:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Tebor wrote:

In response to your question, here are some possibilities:

The Long Kiss Goodnight
Escape From LA
Soldier
Eraser
Bulletproof
The Game
The Shadow
Brain Smasher: A Love Story
Starship Troopers

All good choices. I'd like to add

Hard Rain - I was told this was the worst movie of whatever year it was and didn't see it until Speed had a 5 star collection DVD. I finally rented it and LOVED IT! Christian Slater was good, as he usually is, Morgan Freeman plays a bad guy (always welcomed!), but best of all, Randy Quaid of "Brokeback Mountain" shows up as the uber villain. Great fun, great cast, great action.

The Last Boy Scout - Bruce Willis teams up with Damon Wayans in a Tony Scott film? Action, action, action? Checkmate.

The Glimmer Man - It's simply "Rush Hour" before "Rush Hour" with Steven Seagal as Jackie Chan. Surprisingly better than "Rush Hour", but not "Rush Hour 2".

Predator 2 - Yes, the first was a classic, but I saw this movie first so my bias tends to lean me this way. Great direction from future "24" director Stephen Hopkins (also A Nightmare on Elm Street 5). Danny Glover vs. drugs? Gary Busey vs. a meat factory? Predator vs. Bill Paxton? Sign me up!

Speaking of Bill Paxton...
"Tombstone" and "True Lies" seems to be dying in popularity to me. Tombstone was a big movie back in the day, but I rarely see/hear references to currently. Even the Vista Series DVD couldn't bring it back... "True Lies" I know that most, if not all, of our generation loves this film and that certain "adults" think it's too long and schizophrenic in genre. Neither "True Lies" nor "Tombstone" should be on this list (due to overwhelming success), but I know I want more people talking about "Tombstone" than I see right now.

Now some percentages of what I think are the chances of the film coming back:

The Long Kiss Goodnight - 86% Not quite the action packed movie people will hope it to be, it does have an impressive cast. Samuel L. Jackson and Geena Davis are a great pair. With Davis on "Commander and Chief" people may feel an urge to watch/rewatch this film. Also, in favor of a comeback is Shane Black's very funny script. However, counting against it is the strong mean spirited tone and sheer audacity of the plot.

Escape From LA - 90% Already loved by Snake Plissken fans, the film needs a reissue badly. With the coming of an animated Snake Plissken movie, the movie is waiting to be rediscovered by the masses. With politics the way they are, the political messages in the film may appeal to people more. Going against it are the bad special effects and that most of the film is a remake of "Escape From New York" with a better ending and Bruce Campbell.

Soldier - 59% Paul Anderson has never been more hated than he is right now. However, "Soldier" is a pretty good intelligent movie... up until the last third of the movie. The beginning is good with a better, dramatic middle, but then falls apart completely in the final minutes throwing away character development completely. The film is also hurt by the low budget. However, people may feel more open to Kurt Russell's amazing portrayal of a soldier who says about 100 words in the whole film.

Eraser - 88% The scene to show people is the scene of Arnold leaping out of a plane, going through a burning engine, catching a parachute in midair, getting trapped in it after releasing, having the plane he escaped from come charging at him, and finally getting his spare chute to open fifty feet above the ground just in time to break a car with his back but not badly enough to really hurt him. If the person who've showed this sequence to doesn't want to love this film forever, they should probably be shot. The film has great action sequences going for it, but is hurt by a fairly predictable plot. Also, not to many people like Arnold the Gov-inator which will inevitably create a bias.

Bulletproof - 73% Most of the action scenes are ripped from John Woo films, but the cast is wonderful. Almost too wonderful to warrent few laughs. The movie is the closest Adam Sandler has come to making an action film, which alone makes it a film to be seen.

The Game - 84% David Fincher makes a thriller which breaks expectations. People who haven't seen it yet will probably enjoy it, but may not come back for a second and third viewing.

The Shadow - 91% Forgotten by most people, the film turned out as a wonderful homage to both the radio show and 1920s films. While the emphasis is on action over style, there is some great filmmaking behind the movie. Tim Curray is the wildcard of the film, which audiences will either love or hate. The villain has a good reason for world domination (descendent of Genghis Khan), but may be weak compared to the star power of Alec Baldwin. Peter Boyle is a character that cannot be disliked.

Starship Troopers - 98% There's a fairly large fanbase for the movie, which seems to grow everyday. Most people I've talked to about the film refer to "Triumph of the Will" comparisons more than comparisons to other war movies. Whether you like action, comedy, political satire, or self parody, you'll probably like this movie more than you'd think.

Hard Rain - 61% Terrible title and press about the movie will continue to get people to stay clear of it. A strong supporter of the movie needs to come forward before a trend can develop.

The Last Boy Scout - 74% Highly mean spirited and formulaic plot have kept audiences from fully embracing the film (and the funky title). The film is already infiltrating message boards, but the word of mouth needs to become stronger.

The Glimmer Man - 30%. Nobody likes Seagal.

Predator 2 - 80% Most people hate the movie because critics, fanboys, and internet nerds told them to. Someone will actually need to watch the movie without an expectation of "Predator" before the film gets the credit it deserves.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 03:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmmm....

I smell an essay/article forming here...

Syd, do you mind if I use some of your recommendations?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 07:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Go for it. And I can't believe I forgot Predator 2. Shame on me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 30 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't consider The Game to be an action movie, but it is definately fantastic. I own the DVD and while it's not something I'd watch by myself, I've seen it 4 times now, each time with someone that hasn't seen it before (the first time it was I that hadn't seen it, naturally). People's reactions to the last scene are invariably priceless and make watching it again and again completely worthwhile.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

13th Warrior
Tank Girl
Redline- Not the race car movie
Clockwatchers
Flight of the Rollerboys

Birdy
Tank Girl
Legend
The Labyrinth
Cyborg
Cyborg Two.
Stell American:Cyborg
Fortress
Red Violin

Pat
Natural Born Killers
Lock Up
Tango and Cash. The movie is kinda suckie but the Prison was real enough and they even made fun of Rambo.

The Amazing race. The one with the guy dressed in orange.

Unicorn
Unicorn II
Willow
Big Trouble in Little China
Dark Crystal
Lizard woman.

Felix the Cat the Movie
Pinocio Two
Cool world. Probably the last time you see the technique used with Roger Rabbit.
Peter Pan Two. I know for certain there is one.
Last Dinosaur movies ending with little Chomper.

Movie where Heculese and other was fighting in the stars.

Movie where the guy has to wear a belt that prevents him from getting any errection and they fought toads. IN the end he got the belt of and went driving in to
the desert with women who would do anything for him.

Movie where they call women bunnys and make fun of some other peoples movie. He had a poster of Milk on the wall.

Movie where the guy keeps thinking about this girl and makes a who le bunch of paintings. The girl rips out the piantings. they eventually get back together not after guy sleeps with revered girl best freind want to marry.

Movie where the girl is girl waitress is raped on the pinball machine

Movie where the girl is in a sex party and was the first one to be thrown on a ple of men and now she is in court fighting for her rights to get three men thrown n Jail.

Women Prision Bitch Movies.

Movie where a couple who is poor and broke has to struggle with life while the girl father will not support them and the guy had sex with her freind after she dissapeared for days. They tried making it work but she died from a drug over dose and the guy was on a train crying from it.

Movie where the girl did something wrong and she makes over the guy. Then the police arrive after the guy decides to call tem after he sees her kill somebody. She dies of course and the guy is like You don't understand.

Movie with Hexena a model who is trying to kill the guy with her pictures and a bellhop gets to have lots of sex with the model even if

Movie where the Cyborg was a brother. In the end he used a bike to take out the Asian Cyborg.

Movie where the guy is making a film in the Bronx and there is a Theif that lies about converting to God and keeps stealing the guys car.

Also a Movie where a guy keeps spray painting over other peoples spray paint.

A movie where a dark skinned guy has knives in his trench coat and the women teachers are impressed by his dancing and get apceted over his freind in a dance school.

Movie where the guy has to get letter before his girlfreind gets the letter and he is traveling with a girl who he defended in a Night Club.

Horror flick where these little black balls attack everybody and has a dorkish sidekick that presumes to be dead after the main heros tells you those are the last two of the breed.

Movie in the begining you see the process of pregnation and the father will not let the son take his Matress. "I paid for that matress". Also the babysister left the baby in the snow and the girl had to dig her out. I think

Movie where Hulk Kongan is a Alien and travels back in time and influence a family.

Movie where the Asian looking girl gets raped by the Sumo and in the end guy had to face Chung Lee after his freind was in the Hospital.

All those Chuck Norris films fighting the same general over and over again.

Charles Bronsons Western Movies before he was allowed to be a star in America.

Finally this futuristic movie where everybody walks around with bald heads and ads pops out to gret people.

Movies in 2000 with 90's residue.
I want to say "Swordfish" since a hacker buddy of mine at the time said that is how a hacker would act in life for real. Also this is probably the last movie that would ever use the word Terrorist so casually and nobody would care any less about it. Now you will never see this kinda action in the movies again. Also the speak say is dead on. The characters was dressed great and Halle berri never looked so perfect and this is before the Bond movie. Also they used Dog day afternoon.

Metropolis and Escaflowne is going to mark the end of an era in Anime. Escaflowne being a first time project and Mrtropolis being a memory project.

The original Red Dragon the fact the new one is boring and Hanibal is not so Hanibal.

Lastly A.I. this movie was something to remember. It practicaly replaces Nobody Boy and Pinocio with one shot. I mean I was crying when he said my brain is falling out.

Also do we have to use the word "clut classic". I mean they obviously use of that word to make people look down on these sleeping Gems. Like the Warriors and The Lion, The witch, and the lamppost. A lot of people know what these are they just don't have the time, money, or people to be devoted to them.

Like I or you knows such and such will do good but in reality we want a piece of the action and not just be the person who watched or read these creations of lies.

Even if these was to revive they would make the movies look dumb all over.
There is probably some more but thats anotehr list.
Tebor
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Regal, THANKS for the list.

Holy crap!

Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 30 2006 02:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've always liked Demolition Man.

Judge Dredd and Tango & Cash were enjoyable too.
braincras
Title: braincrassed/audiofille
PostPosted: May 02 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

*sight*

old skewl gamer.

Reply to topic

Jump to: