"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
EGM vs GamePro

Reply to topic
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Jun 18 2015 08:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As a kid who grew up in the 90's I always like Gamepro better even though it seemed for fighting games such as MK or KI that Electronic Gaming Monthly had a better layout in showing you the fatality moves.

Which one did you like?

EGM

Gamepro

Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Jun 18 2015 09:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

- Gamefan.
- Ultra Game Players
- Nintendo Power
- The rest...

(But I think I liked EGM over GamePro; at least, later GamePro)

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 18 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Game Players/Ultra Game Players.

That is all.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jun 18 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

EGM by and large. This is personal opinion, but it seemed like the quality of EGM's writing was much higher than GamePro's, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it seemed like GamePro consistently gave games I loved mediocre-to-low-ratings (mainly survival horror and RPG games), so they were kind of useless in terms of actually showing me new games to buy and play.

I still maintain that late-90s to late-2000s Game Informer was top-of-the-line (even if it kind of sucks now).

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 19 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
EGM by and large. This is personal opinion, but it seemed like the quality of EGM's writing was much higher than GamePro's

Agreed.

As for Game Informer? I am sure advertisers appreciate the built-in audience GameStop powerup rewards members bring to Game Informer, ensuring its continued survival. It wouldn't exist without it, as most magazines faded away because they weren't such blatant shills. Probably the shittiest magazine I've ever read.

Also, since it's necessary these days, all of the above was personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

Methid Man
Title: Spawn of Billy Mays
PostPosted: Jun 19 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I loved GamePro's art and presentation, but the magazine I have the most fond memories of was Game Players. My library used to carry them.

RIP Hacker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Cameron
PostPosted: Jun 19 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
As for Game Informer? I am sure advertisers appreciate the built-in audience GameStop powerup rewards members bring to Game Informer, ensuring its continued survival. It wouldn't exist without it, as most magazines faded away because they weren't such blatant shills.

Again, as previously documented, the quality of the magazine took a huge dip around 2009 or so, but it was definitely of a higher integrity before then.
JoshWoodzy wrote:
Probably the shittiest magazine I've ever read.

I doubt this.
JoshWoodzy wrote:
Also, since it's necessary these days, all of the above was personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

I'm not offended by your opinions on a video game magazine, but the disclaimer may have been necessary to avoid offending anyone else because your opinions seem to be drenched in hyperbole as of late.

GeorgeTaylor
PostPosted: Jun 19 2015 01:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I get sent Game Informer each month but I don't even read it on the shitter. I guess the internet and youtube give me a better experience these days.

To be honest I would rather get demo disks for either PS4 or XBoxOne instead of a magazine. I feel like for adult gamers who don't feel like downloading 20 gig demos that it would help push certain game sales.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 19 2015 08:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
your opinions seem to be drenched in hyperbole as of late.

Nintendo sucks, Jaguar was way better.

Cameron
PostPosted: Jun 19 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Cameron wrote:

My brother had both a Jaguar and a 3DO back in the day, and I can verify that the Jaguar controller is like trying to play a game using a giant taco.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jun 19 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Cameron wrote:

No shit, there's someone on another forum I go to that has a similar opinion. He always whines about how the Jaguar was an amazing, underrated system that never saw its true potential, and that it was a much better system than the SNES and Genesis. He also whines about how the 3D0 was one of the only systems with good 3D graphics and that later systems (like the PS1, which he has extensively bitched about and also feels is inferior to the Jaguar) transformed them into a digital hell. Oh, and he seems to believe this crazy conspiracy that there was a large, albeit secret, movement within the video game industry to purposely suppress advanced 2D technology in favor of 3D for no reason whatsoever. Whenever you try to tell him that 3D is what people wanted in the '90s and that 2D was seen as old hat, he'll tell you that advanced 2D would have been far more successful than 3D ever was. So, despite 2D apparently being more profitable during the mid '90s on, apparently game companies are a bunch of dumb, sinister organizations that just wanted to wash their hands of 2D for god knows what.

That's a conspiracy too dumb for even the most extreme of tinfoil hat wearers to buy into.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 21 2015 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

at first i enjoyed gamepro simply cuz of the art style it had. but after reading several issues, i ended up liking EGM way way more.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jun 21 2015 02:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never paid attention to which game magazine I was reading enough to differentiate between them. I just read whatever had something of interest to me on the cover when I was at the grocery store. I can only recall ever buying a magazine once.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

GeorgeTaylor
PostPosted: Jun 22 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HardcoreGamer4Ever wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:
Cameron wrote:

No shit, there's someone on another forum I go to that has a similar opinion. He always whines about how the Jaguar was an amazing, underrated system that never saw its true potential, and that it was a much better system than the SNES and Genesis. He also whines about how the 3D0 was one of the only systems with good 3D graphics and that later systems (like the PS1, which he has extensively bitched about and also feels is inferior to the Jaguar) transformed them into a digital hell. Oh, and he seems to believe this crazy conspiracy that there was a large, albeit secret, movement within the video game industry to purposely suppress advanced 2D technology in favor of 3D for no reason whatsoever. Whenever you try to tell him that 3D is what people wanted in the '90s and that 2D was seen as old hat, he'll tell you that advanced 2D would have been far more successful than 3D ever was. So, despite 2D apparently being more profitable during the mid '90s on, apparently game companies are a bunch of dumb, sinister organizations that just wanted to wash their hands of 2D for god knows what.

That's a conspiracy too dumb for even the most extreme of tinfoil hat wearers to buy into.

I traded for a Jag in HS from a dude who basically gave it to me for like nothing. He had the best three games for it Wolfenstein,Doom, Alien Vs Predator and to be honest even though I liked the Jaguar port of Wolfenstein alot the system had mechanical issues such as having to put the cartridge in a certain way for it to work and the graphics barely looking like a beefed up SNES. I had a PSONe at the time and the PSOne with titles such as Resident Evil made the Jaguar look ancient like the SNES.

I think the better system was the Neo Geo by far except it was too damn high for any middle class kid to even convince their parents to get.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jun 22 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think we had a subscription to Gamepro, and I really enjoyed the art style and layout, but after I read a few Seanbaby columns in EGM(?) I wasn't so enamored anymore.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jun 22 2015 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As far as EGM vs. Gamepro, EGM, no contest.

EGM seemed to go more in depth with their game reviews and was not trying as much to be "extreme" as Gamepro and many other gaming magazines during the 90's.

As far as best gaming magazines, I'd have to say Ultra Game Players and EGM2 (while it lasted, and also because it was where I first found out about Resident Evil).

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jun 22 2015 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I only ever read Nintendo Power because I was a total fanboy and didn't have the slightest interest in anything non-Nintendo.
Reply to topic

Jump to: