"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Americans

Reply to topic
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have been enjoying this show lately. It is about KGB spies living undercover in the US during the 80's. So far I think it has been pretty good. Is anyone else watching this?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 01:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Been watching since the start. Love it. Felicity + the 80s + Soviets = AWESOME.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
@om*d
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 01:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly! Also, Reagan!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 02:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

is it good? i saw the commercial for it & was intrigued but i havent sat around to watch it

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Been trying to get into this, but just can't. If the FBI agent was the main focus of the show, I'd probably like it.
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like the way they choreograph the fight scenes, sort of a more realistic and less flashy Jackie Chan scenario (i.e. he beats the crap out of 2 guys with his briefcase and makes it rain money all over the room), that and yeah it's Felicity.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 24 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The poison umbrella thing they did is similar to something that happened IRL, except it was used in a successful assassination of a Bulgarian dissident writer who had found asylum in London.

The most recent episode, the Hinckley shooting, was fascinating to me. It was interesting to see how little perspective the Soviets had on the issue. Elizabeth was all like, "They're saying General Haig has the [nuclear] football! It's a coup!" and Phillip was like, "You don't get it. He could have ten footballs and it wouldn't matter. They're not like us."
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
@om*d
PostPosted: Feb 25 2013 01:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I really enjoyed that last episode for similar reasons. I think it is the American in me that is always rooting for Phillip because he seems to be the voice of reason between his wife and himself. Elizabeth is just always jumping to the worst conclusions and Phillip is trying to talk her down. It makes me wonder how their relationship will develop over the course of the show, as I assume she will either be swayed towards his way of thinking or turn against him (which I think would be far more interesting).

It's also interesting to note that this show was created by a former CIA officer.

On a more personal note, I have a friend who has the same name as one of the main characters (Phillip Jennings) and I am giving him such a hard time about being a KGB sleeper agent and it really irritates the hell out of him which is hilarious. I guess I am just an asshole to my friends, though. Twisted Evil

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Feb 25 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

From what I have read from former Intelligence Community Members (CIA, KGB, MI-6) that kind of making a call in the field Philip did which prevented a disaster happened a lot more than any officials in any of the respective country's agencies would ever admit. What I find funny is that I guess since I found this sort of thing interesting since I was a kid, and I was really into History even in college, that I have to explain some of the goings on they describe, or the events surrounding the show particularly the SNAFU in regard to whom assumes power should the President be incapacitated once you get past the Vice President.

Reply to topic

Jump to: