"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Biggest Movie Plot Holes

Reply to topic
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 05:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Breakfast Club is a great movie, but there's something that really bothers me about it. The part is when Brian says he's in detention for bringing a flare gun to school that went off in his locker. It is implied that he was going to commit suicide. There are three things wrong with this scenario:

1. Why would anyone commit suicide with a flare gun? That would be a painful way to die. I thought Brian was the smart character, so why would he choose such a painful way to kill himself?

2. Why would he do it in school and not at home or somewhere else? I guess you could say that maybe he wanted those who bullied him to feel guilty.

3. He brings a flare gun to school and gets a DETENTION? I'm pretty sure if this happened in real life, he would be expelled and possibly arrested. That school must have some pretty lenient rules.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 06:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Logan wrote:
The Breakfast Club is a great movie, but there's something that really bothers me about it. The part is when Brian says he's in detention for bringing a flare gun to school that went off in his locker. It is implied that he was going to commit suicide. There are three things wrong with this scenario:

1. Why would anyone commit suicide with a flare gun? That would be a painful way to die. I thought Brian was the smart character, so why would he choose such a painful way to kill himself?

2. Why would he do it in school and not at home or somewhere else? I guess you could say that maybe he wanted those who bullied him to feel guilty.

3. He brings a flare gun to school and gets a DETENTION? I'm pretty sure if this happened in real life, he would be expelled and possibly arrested. That school must have some pretty lenient rules.

1. He wanted attention.

2. He wanted attention.

3. It was the 80's. Hell, even when I was in junior high/high school we would have gotten away with it, and that was in the mid to late nineties.

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 07:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:

3. It was the 80's. Hell, even when I was in junior high/high school we would have gotten away with it, and that was in the mid to late nineties.

Why are people so paranoid nowadays?

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 07:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:

Why are people so paranoid nowadays?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't he also only get detention because he was otherwise a really good kid?

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Jan 31 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I mentioned this about a year ago in another thread, but here goes. This is best described as being incorrectly regarded as a plot hole.

The Terminator clearly states that the only way a machine can be sent back in time is if it is surrounded by living tissue; the T-1000 is not a cyborg, and not organic. I remember Cracked even made a video pointing this out.

The thing is, they're assuming that the time machine technology hasn't advanced at all in ten years. (Yes, I'm assuming that around ten years have also passed in the "future". That's about how long it would take for an entirely new Terminator to be developed.) It's certainly possible that Skynet could have found a workaround for the whole 'living tissue' snag in ten years' time; TechCom (the humans), however, has far fewer resources, and may not have made any real advancements in the tech.

Miguelius
Title: 83956789546
PostPosted: Feb 03 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I want to talk abut Biff. Events in the Back to The Future time travel system doesn't change instantly, time fixes itself slowly, like a wave. That's why in BTTF Part 1 Marty doesn't disappear instantly after meeting her mother, but rather starts to slowly fade away. Remember that dance of the Fish Under the Ocean?? Marty was suffering from sudden disappearence from existence, pretty much the same feeling was hitting old Biff when he gets back from the past. Time was changing and he was starting to disappear.
But I do think there's something fishy in Part 2, in the alternate universe Doc Brown would have been arrested, but he isn't in jail. He's traveling around time like nothing happened. So...there's another Doc Brown who IS actually in jail or Doc's body still hasn't "fix itself" in time and will eventually disappear from his home and appear in jail without remembering anything from traveling trough time and such. I like to think that's what would have happened if they didn't travel back to 1955 to prevent all of Biff's sick plans.
Man I love Back to the Future
LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 03:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

If the T1000 can make clothes out of it's body, why did it need to steal them in the first place?
utahpunk
Title: Sir!
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 03:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BTTF 2 - To the best of my knowledge, and understanding, when Biff returns to 2015 there are actually 2 parallel realities. Hence there are 2 Biff's. We only see the return of old Biff to the "regular" 2015, and as mentioned, that Biff, and every other person in that dimension of time probably disappear as soon as Doc and Marty leave that dimension for the parallel 1985. Since there was a link (Doc, Marty, Jennifer, hell even the dog) to a parallel universe present in that universe, it held up until they left, and then it collapsed. At least that's my opinion.

The part not shown in the movie would have seen the 2nd Biff returning to a 2015 where he is rich and powerful. The problem would then be, what did that 2nd Biff do with the Delorian upon his return to the alternate 2015, and since Doc and Marty ultimately did succeed in "fixing" the issue by burning the almanac in 1955, would there even be an alternate 2015 to return to? My opinion is that yes, there would have been 2 Biff's, and that eventually that alternate 2015 would have collapsed, just like the alternate 1985 would have. What Biff did with the Delorian in that reality will never be known. The other unknown would be weather or not the Biff from 2015 would have any memories from the alternate universe.

Just my thoughts.

......I'm not even supposed to be here today!

JohnnyBenz
Title: The nip killer
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 05:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of time travel movies, how about Looper? I've seen it a handful of times and figured there must be some plotholes with that much time travel going on! Maybe someone can shed some light on this as either they did a perfect job with the movie or, more likely, I'm just not smart enough to figure out what they did wrong. Most of the good time travel movies tend to rattle my brain...
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 08:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looper... where to start? This movie has tons of plot holes, but I will address one.

When Future Joe (Bruce Willis) kills the mob boss, Abe (Jeff Daniels), and every henchman in the building, wouldn't the future mob be aware that something went terribly wrong sometime in the past and have a shitload of guys ready to kill him as soon as he steps out of the building? Obviously there is some way to communicate with the future mob from the present. That communication stops and they do nothing with their time machine?

JohnnyBenz
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn good point, and that would have meant even more guys for Bruce Willis to kill, for better or worse.
Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 02:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
If the T1000 can make clothes out of it's body, why did it need to steal them in the first place?

To be perfectly nitpicky, the movie never actually shows the T-1000 stealing the cop's clothes; it's just very strongly implied, so that the audience would think it was human.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, looper was terrible in playing by its own rules. it never followed its own internal logic, and thats what put me off from the whole movie.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

JohnnyBenz
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 04:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's the thing about time travel movies, they usually have plot holes galore, at least from what I've heard as I usually just get into the movie and abandon all logic for the sake of being entertained. Not meaning to go too far off topic here, just I'm very curious if anyone knows of any time travel movies that were very well done, free of plot holes? My expectations are very low as I've always thought its a given that time travel movies will have inconsistences.
username
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 05:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JohnnyBenz wrote:
That's the thing about time travel movies, they usually have plot holes galore, at least from what I've heard as I usually just get into the movie and abandon all logic for the sake of being entertained. Not meaning to go too far off topic here, just I'm very curious if anyone knows of any time travel movies that were very well done, free of plot holes? My expectations are very low as I've always thought its a given that time travel movies will have inconsistences.

heh

theres actually a topic on that already
http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14690

Klimbatize wrote:

JohnnyBenz
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 06:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot about Primer! That movie was great, definitely need to watch it again because it been about 6 years.

Thanks for the link, I think maybe I should just go look at all the past topics to better avoid reposting anything.

Back on topic, how about Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Fim For Theaters? Heh...
username
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 06:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

reposting isnt a big deal, especially if the original topic is months & months old. usual rule of thumb is that if you cant find the topic on the first 2-3 pages then its ok to post about it

Klimbatize wrote:

JohnnyBenz
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 08:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's good to hear. Being new to the forums I didn't want to do anything overly annoying if I could help it.
Reply to topic

Jump to: