"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Wreck-It Ralph

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 02:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Go see this now! The pre-film short, Paperman, was really good too. It had a nice and interesting blend of 2D hand-drawn animation overlayed with 3D character models.

Stay during the credits too. There's a part where Ralph and the little girl join Ryu in the car-wrecking bonus stage.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw the movie last night. Too many candy puns, not enough Sonic cameos.

Seriously, movie was not quite what I expected, but still excellent.
Vert1
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

too childish

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 03:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vert1 wrote:
too childish

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Nov 07 2012 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed that all the references disappeared about an hour in. They were an afterthought and served strictly to set up the mood, which amazes me even more that they bothered to get the original voices wherever possible for like one line each when they could just as easily have gotten bit part actors for those lines.

That said, I had a beef with the ending.
[SPOILER:97a2237d92]Was it ever explained why Vanellope winning the qualifying race would undo everything Turbo did? I get that she's the main character and therefore magical or whatever, but how exactly is a kinda-sorta-not-actually-a-glitch character winning an unattended race supposed to reverse what is essentially a ROM hack? Since her data was unlinked from the rest of the main loop, I would have sooner expected the game to crash as it would have inserted a non-existing object into a character slot.

Ignoring all of that, how exactly did Turbo manage to lay low for thirty years to infect a present-day game? Where was he all that time? Did I miss something while they were hauling the defective machines away in the flashback?[/SPOILER:97a2237d92]

Aside from all of that, Paperman was awesome. It's like the director watched way too many Makoto Shinkai films. It had a much better romance plot than the main movie did for sure.

Also, stay around for the last easter egg in the Walt Disney logo after the credits.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 07 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:

[SPOILER:da2b95fe35]Was it ever explained why Vanellope winning the qualifying race would undo everything Turbo did? I get that she's the main character and therefore magical or whatever, but how exactly is a kinda-sorta-not-actually-a-glitch character winning an unattended race supposed to reverse what is essentially a ROM hack? Since her data was unlinked from the rest of the main loop, I would have sooner expected the game to crash as it would have inserted a non-existing object into a character slot.

Ignoring all of that, how exactly did Turbo manage to lay low for thirty years to infect a present-day game? Where was he all that time? Did I miss something while they were hauling the defective machines away in the flashback?[/SPOILER:da2b95fe35]

[SPOILER:da2b95fe35]The way I saw it, Turbo took Vanellope's "spot" in the game. By finishing the race, she effectively DID crash the game. The game automatically rebooted, loading up the default settings and undoing the changes, which effectively wrote Turbo out of the game.

As for Turbo, I dunno, I figure he's just been hiding in other racing games all this time, hopping to a new one when an old one got pulled. [/SPOILER:da2b95fe35]

I think the more confusing thing here is, what kind of arcade doesn't turn the power off at night? That's a fuckton of electricity being wasted.
utahpunk
Title: Sir!
PostPosted: Nov 08 2012 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw the movie, loved it. Liked the references, and the plot.

[SPOILER:7274d33c00]Any movie that finds a clever way of inserting the Konami Code in to it can't be all bad.[/SPOILER:7274d33c00]

......I'm not even supposed to be here today!

The Opponent
PostPosted: Nov 09 2012 02:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
The-Excel wrote:

[SPOILER:2d06fa4699]Was it ever explained why Vanellope winning the qualifying race would undo everything Turbo did? I get that she's the main character and therefore magical or whatever, but how exactly is a kinda-sorta-not-actually-a-glitch character winning an unattended race supposed to reverse what is essentially a ROM hack? Since her data was unlinked from the rest of the main loop, I would have sooner expected the game to crash as it would have inserted a non-existing object into a character slot.

Ignoring all of that, how exactly did Turbo manage to lay low for thirty years to infect a present-day game? Where was he all that time? Did I miss something while they were hauling the defective machines away in the flashback?[/SPOILER:2d06fa4699]

[SPOILER:2d06fa4699]The way I saw it, Turbo took Vanellope's "spot" in the game. By finishing the race, she effectively DID crash the game. The game automatically rebooted, loading up the default settings and undoing the changes, which effectively wrote Turbo out of the game.

As for Turbo, I dunno, I figure he's just been hiding in other racing games all this time, hopping to a new one when an old one got pulled. [/SPOILER:2d06fa4699]

I think the more confusing thing here is, what kind of arcade doesn't turn the power off at night? That's a fuckton of electricity being wasted.

[SPOILER:2d06fa4699]Turbo was already written out when he was destroyed by the beacon with the Cybugs. As for the arcade machines being left on overnight, I accepted it in the same way a lot of office buildings and stores leave a few lights on all the time. The plot would have ground to a halt otherwise.

I guess I'll accept that by finishing the race, NVRAM was corrupted which caused the game to load factory defaults on next boot or something. Games these days are stored on hard drives so it's not unreasonable that there would be data recovery routines built in; the virus disabled them as long as it was present in memory. I would have also complained that Turbo could have just deleted Vanellope as well as the memories wholesale, but he just wasn't able to so he locked them out instead. Although why the whole of the characters' memories are stored in a separate object from the objects themselves is still beyond me, but now I'm being a pedant.

As for Turbo hiding for 30 years and silently infecting other racing games before being confronted directly in Sugar Rush, I would have liked to have seen that detail. Surely it couldn't have been difficult to hint at his presence during all that time?[/SPOILER:2d06fa4699]

I have only one problem with all the references:
[SPOILER:2d06fa4699]Metal Gear Solid was never an arcade game. It was still funny the way it was implemented, but still. I'm sure David Hayter would have appreciated a one line cameo as well.[/SPOILER:2d06fa4699]

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Nov 10 2012 05:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw it, loved it, lack of Mega Man, even for a cameo, kept it from being perfect in my eyes. /predictability
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 10 2012 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
[SPOILER:8b78f87361]Metal Gear Solid was never an arcade game. It was still funny the way it was implemented, but still. I'm sure David Hayter would have appreciated a one line cameo as well.[/SPOILER:8b78f87361]

[SPOILER:8b78f87361]Neither was Lara Croft as far as I'm aware.[/SPOILER:8b78f87361]

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Loved that they got motherfucking Buckner & Garcia to do a song about Wreck-It Ralph.

My biggest problem with the movie is that the trailer kinda leads you to believe that Ralph is going to jump from game to game for the entire movie, looking for a place where he can be the hero he so desperately wants to be. NOPE.

The three fake games shown in the trailer - Wreck-It Ralph, Hero's Duty, and Sugar Rush - are the only three games Ralph enters. That was really, really disappointing.

I had a couple of other minor issues too, but I don't feel like using the spoiler tag.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The three fake games shown in the trailer - Fix-It Felix Jr., Hero's Duty, and Sugar Rush - are the only three games Ralph enters. That was really, really disappointing.

Fixed, appropriately enough.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 02:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

15 Behind-the-Scenes Secrets of Wreck-It Ralph
http://x.co/pVc5

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 02:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The three fake games shown in the trailer - Wreck-It Ralph, Hero's Duty, and Sugar Rush - are the only three games Ralph enters. That was really, really disappointing.

You forgot Pac-Man.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

The game references were all part of a grand bait-and-switch to attract our age demographic. We get to enjoy them for the first act, then they're all brushed aside for a decent plot. It would have been chaos for the movie to jump from game to game frequently. Maybe a made-for-TV or direct-to-video movie could do that, but not a theatrical release where tight focus is more important.

lordsathien wrote:
The-Excel wrote:
[SPOILER:c255a475e6]Metal Gear Solid was never an arcade game. It was still funny the way it was implemented, but still. I'm sure David Hayter would have appreciated a one line cameo as well.[/SPOILER:c255a475e6]

[SPOILER:c255a475e6]Neither was Lara Croft as far as I'm aware.[/SPOILER:c255a475e6]

[SPOILER:c255a475e6]I figured someone would bring that up, but namedrops are okay. Having an actual gameplay element from a non-arcade game threw me off for a moment. Come to think of it, as far as I know, the Konami code was never used in an arcade game, unless you count the Konami games in the PlayChoice-10, which I did.[/SPOILER:c255a475e6]

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

You forgot Pac-Man.

Pac-Man is real. That or I've been taking some really good drugs for a very long time.

And as jprime pointed out, Ralph's game is Fix-It Felix Jr.. My bad.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The three fake games shown in the trailer - Wreck-It Ralph, Hero's Duty, and Sugar Rush -are the only three games Ralph enters. That was really, really disappointing.

...and the Pac-Man gag was one of the funnier ones, too. "Any fresh fruit?"
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 11 2012 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, there was one more, too. Another real game.
Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After almost a month from release, I finally decided to watch, as I've been wanting to watch it since I've first heard of it.

[SPOILER:794372d516]Also, Turbo being the Candy King was a total twist. Mr. Green [/SPOILER:794372d516]

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Dec 14 2012 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I watched it the day it came out. I loved it. Best video game themed movie ever!

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Reply to topic

Jump to: