"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Tip - "single mom, sorry"

Reply to topic
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't usually get into this stuff, but this pissed me off.

http://redd.it/12azao

Bullshit, lady. If you don't have enough money to leave a tip, you don't have enough money to go out to eat, particularly if you're spending that much (what, do you have 7 kids you're hauling with you?) If you're gonna be an asshole and no-tip on a $140 meal, at least don't try and rationalize it. Just write "fuck you" in the tip spot.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 04:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was just reading this story before I came here. I hope someone finds this single parent and makes her child an orphan.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah. fuck that noise. $140 for lunch or dinner?! i can see why you're single: cuz you're a fucking idiot. $140 worth of groceries wouldve bought you food for a week or longer.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 06:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I will say, I hate the tipping system in the US. I think that all employees should earn a minimum wage that meets the standard for living and tips should be on top of that. Additionally, tips should be 100% optional and based on service, not as a social requirement.

That being said. Until things change, the system is what it is. If you go out to eat and the food server brings you your prepared food in a reasonable amount of time without spitting in it or throwing it at you, a tip is as much a part of the dining experience as eating the food.

My general rule for tipping on good service is to look at the final bill including tax and give $1 for every $5 that I spend.

So... here is my question. You go to a chain steak restaurant with 8 people and order a bunch of stuff that adds up to $200 (inc tax). So figure $40 tip (based on my system). This actually seems pretty fair for the food plus the service in this case. Now imagine if you went to a fancy restaurant and spent $600 (inc tax) for 8 people. $120 would be a tip @ 20%. So... is it fair that the cost for the server is 3x more because the food itself was more expensive? My feeling is, no, it is not fair. This is where the system is broken. Given social etiquette, I would still pay the expected amount... but I have a gripe with it.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I will say, I hate the tipping system in the US. I think that all employees should earn a minimum wage that meets the standard for living and tips should be on top of that. Additionally, tips should be 100% optional and based on service, not as a social requirement.

The thing there is, if you paid server minimum wage (they do earn about $2 an hour). that raises the price of the menu items about 1 or 2 bucks apiece to cover their salaries. You pay it either way (I'm sure you're well aware, I'm just putting it out there).

I think the anger, really, isn't the no-tip. That happens. It's that they went out of their way to justify it by looking like a martyr, while at the same time praising the service. Yes, the thank you is nice, but the landlord doesn't take payment in "thank-you".
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I feel like if you can afford to go out to eat you aren't broke enough to not leave a tip. Also 140 bucks is fucking insane. I could make 140 bucks last nearly two months for groceries, even with a couple kids I can't imagine that not covering two or three weeks worth minimum as long as you shopped smart and weren't stupidly obese and eating all the time.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 04 2012 09:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
Yeah I feel like if you can afford to go out to eat you aren't broke enough to not leave a tip. Also 140 bucks is fucking insane. I could make 140 bucks last nearly two months for groceries, even with a couple kids I can't imagine that not covering two or three weeks worth minimum as long as you shopped smart and weren't stupidly obese and eating all the time.

Your diet sounds like it would guarantee scurvy.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Nov 04 2012 03:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No I just use coupons and wait for good sales. Don't have to spend very much to get a decent amount of food if you actually pay attention to prices and don't buy stupid shit like candy and other junk food.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 04 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
No I just use coupons and wait for good sales. Don't have to spend very much to get a decent amount of food if you actually pay attention to prices and don't buy stupid shit like candy and other junk food.

I think what he means is that a shopping strategy like that doesn't lend much to fresh fruit.
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tip? Here's a tip: Get a real job! Ha ha ha ha ha!

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 01:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Beach Bum wrote:

I think what he means is that a shopping strategy like that doesn't lend much to fresh fruit.

It goes on sale often enough, just have to watch all the store ads in my area. Get grapes for around a dollar-dollar and a half a pound all the time and during the summer strawberries are cheap as hell around here. Everything else like peaches, pears, and pineapple I like I just buy canned because it stays longer. Plus pineapple is a pain to cut up and then there is just way too much for one person to eat. The only other thing I like, bananas, never go on sale because Illinois sucks so I just have to suck it up and pay full price for them if I want them.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 02:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I tip big when I go out/order pizza, if I cannot afford to do so I eat what I have stored away. I like random acts of kindness, and I'm sympathetic to anyone that works any kind of customer service, because it can be rough.

Cactus
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 07:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
The thing there is, if you paid server minimum wage (they do earn about $2 an hour). that raises the price of the menu items about 1 or 2 bucks apiece to cover their salaries. You pay it either way (I'm sure you're well aware, I'm just putting it out there).

How are they allowed to pay less than minimum wage? I don't know anything about US employment law.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 09:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
Beach Bum wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:
Beach Bum wrote:

Your diet sounds like it would guarantee scurvy.

It goes on sale often enough, just have to watch all the store ads in my area. Get grapes for around a dollar-dollar and a half a pound all the time and during the summer strawberries are cheap as hell around here. Everything else like peaches, pears, and pineapple I like I just buy canned because it stays longer. Plus pineapple is a pain to cut up and then there is just way too much for one person to eat. The only other thing I like, bananas, never go on sale because Illinois sucks so I just have to suck it up and pay full price for them if I want them.

Ok, I'm still not a believer. So, if you are up for it, I'd like you to prove how one can eat a healthy balanced diet for $140 over two months.

60 days, at least 3 meals a day, no less than 1500 calories per day, and a proper plate distribution. Do your best to select 30 percent grains, 30 percent vegetables, 20 percent fruits and 20 percent protein and somewhere in there a small portion of dairy. Those percentages are made up by the "MyPlate" initiative that the government is now using to replace the Food Pyramid.

For what its worth, currently I spend about $40-$60/week for just myself and bring my own food to work and eat at home 6 days per week. I would say I eat fairly healthy, a little low on fruits. So $320 - $480 over 8 weeks.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cactus wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

How are they allowed to pay less than minimum wage? I don't know anything about US employment law.

Employees who make most of their wages from tips (which really applies only to servers) can be paid a minimum wage of $2.13 an hour, as long as the tips that employee earns brings them up to at least the minimum hourly wage. If they don't make enough to get them to minimum, the employer has to pay the difference.
Cactus
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 02:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Employees who make most of their wages from tips (which really applies only to servers) can be paid a minimum wage of $2.13 an hour, as long as the tips that employee earns brings them up to at least the minimum hourly wage. If they don't make enough to get them to minimum, the employer has to pay the difference.

What's the point of that? Why doesn't the bill cover the cost of all the labour involved?
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cactus wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

What's the point of that? Why doesn't the bill cover the cost of all the labour involved?

In an ideal world, as a service provider, the waiter would be paid based on how well they performed their job.

In a fucked up distortion of the system, we now always feel bad for them and pay them the same no matter the service level.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I was cooking, every single waitress always made way more money than anyone cooking did. They'd typically make 100-140 dollars a day in tips, while I was making like 9 an hour. So at the end of the week, they were bringing home way more than I could have.

Obviously that's not always typical, and waitresses can get boned out of getting good tips regularly, and they do, just saying my experience.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 04:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There was a point, probably like 7 years ago now, where we stopped inviting my brother and his girlfriend out to dinner with us, because my brother would constantly short on the tip and we'd have to make up the difference so that the whole table didn't look like fucking dicks.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cactus
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad I live in a country where things cost the price they have marked on them.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 05 2012 08:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cactus wrote:
I'm glad I live in a country where things cost the price they have marked on them.

Yeah. The UK has no bizarre customs that make no sense to the rest of the world.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 06 2012 01:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Look if I can go to England and have an ice cold beer at my favorite local neighborhood bar, drink until my cheeks get a nice color to them, and not have to tip, then I'm all for it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 06 2012 07:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
There was a point, probably like 7 years ago now, where we stopped inviting my brother and his girlfriend out to dinner with us, because my brother would constantly short on the tip and we'd have to make up the difference so that the whole table didn't look like fucking dicks.

Please ask Jeebus to come here and explain.

Cactus
PostPosted: Nov 06 2012 07:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Cactus wrote:

Yeah. The UK has no bizarre customs that make no sense to the rest of the world.

Exactly! All our customs make perfect sense to everyone.

Syd Lexia wrote:
Look if I can go to England and have an ice cold beer at my favorite local neighborhood bar, drink until my cheeks get a nice color to them, and not have to tip, then I'm all for it.

You could go your whole life never tipping anyone and no one would think any less of you. Also, good luck find a "local neighborhood bar" whatever that is.
Reply to topic

Jump to: