SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metal Gear Solid movie for real?

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 08:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, this story has been posted before multiple times in multiple places but things seem different this time:

"Sony has officially announced that they will be bringing Konami’s hit videogame franchise Metal Gear Solid to the big screen. Deja Vu? Yes, I did write this exact story in February 2007, but producer Michael De Luca never got it off the ground. This time the announcement was made to video game fans attending the Metal Gear Anniversary event in Tokyo. Banners on display read “Metal Gear Solid Hollywood Movie”, and featured the Columbia Pictures logo.

"Hideo Kojima confirmed a new Metal Gear Solid movie project is in the works during the presentation, this time with Spider-man producer Avi Arad on board. Arad spoke to the audience, saying that he struggled for years to bring comics to the silver screen and that ”video games are the comic books of today.” Kotaku quotes Arad as saying that they “will take our time and tell the story with all the nuances, ideology, cautionary tales needed.”

"Arad is the former chairman, CEO and the founder of Marvel Studios, credited as producer (or executive producer) on some of the great comic book movies: Spider-Man series, the Blade series, the X-Men series, Iron Man. His name has also been credited on the bad: Daredevil, Hulk, Elektra, the Fantastic Four films, Ghost Rider, X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3.

Since leaving Marvel, his projects have been laughable: Man-Thing (20% rotten tomatoes, 4.1 imdb rating), The Bratz movie (7% rotten tomatoes, 2.6 imdb rating). The Amazing Spider-man is probably the biggest and best in the post-Marvel years. His upcoming slate includes movies based on toy properties like Robosapien: Rebooted, and a line-up of big video game licenses like Mass Effect, Uncharted, Twisted Metal, Pac-Man

Videogame creator Hideo Kojima will be an executive producer on the movie adaptation. No director has been announced. One person we know won’t be involved is hack director Uwe Boll. Kojima has previously stated, “it’s impossible we’d ever do a movie with him.” Thank God.

MGS is one of the few video games that has the potential for a descent big screen adaptation. Do I believe it will be done right? No. But I’m all about setting myself up for big disappointments."

http://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-producer-announces-metal-gear-solid-movie/#more-136730

This is farther than anyone else has taken the concept. I don't think it will turn out good, but regardless, it may be happening. Who knows how certain though.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 08:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

If they get into any of the MGS4 stuff at any point, Kurt Russell for Old Snake.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 08:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll believe it when we get spam bots posting threads about watching it for free.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 08:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
If they get into any of the MGS4 stuff at any point, Kurt Russell for Old Snake.

What about Sawyer from Lost for younger snake?

Or for more funnies, Crispin Glover as Psycho Mantis! Or McLovin as Otacon!

But seriously, if they wanna make this a legit big budget box office movie, why not Christian Bale? Snake already talks like fucking Batman anyway.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still waiting on the Castlevania, and Zelda movies.

I haven't ever really played too much of the MGS games, I picked up my brothers game about halfway through MGS 2, and I watched him play through Snake Eater. I think a movie would do well though, given the right director and assuming they don't try to do 30 minute enemy scenes like this (I mean the gun spinning, not the actual fight)
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It could actually work as a movie especially since the games already spend like 1/4 of the game on FMV sequences anyway. Not sure if they'd want to do a movie covering one of the already existing game plots or just do another mission that we didn't see/play. Still I'd see a movie where they made someone hide in a cardboard box.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

This, hands down. Kurt Russell would be the absolute perfect Snake. The guy who played Sawyer from Lost would honestly be a cool one too, Joshy, as would Christian Bale. In fact Christian Bale would probably be the best choice considering he's such a versatile actor.

Or heck, they should just get David Hayter to play him.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Or heck, they should just get David Hayter to play him.

This would never happen. If they want to make a successful movie to bring new people into the franchise, no way. If they wanna make a fringe movie that would end up in the dollar bin at Walmart, they'd go with Hayter. He is a great voice actor, but has no star appeal and would sell no tickets. It's unfortunate but it's how it goes. Also, being a good voice actor does not equate to good actor. I mean, have you seen Guyver? Confused

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is extremely depressing and extremely true. Sad At any rate, Kurt Russell in Escape From New York has the perfect Snake-like voice, so I think he or Christian Bale would be the best fit. Crispin Glover would make a cool Psycho Mantis, but I feel like McLovin would be way too young to play Otacon. Viggo Mortenson would be another select choice for Snake.

I can't think of anybody that would make a good Raiden, though, other than maybe Orlando Bloom (and that's still a stretch).

I honestly am not having high hopes for this, as video games movies tend to be cheesy and a cheesy Metal Gear Solid movie is going to be incredibly disappointing, but I'll still see it regardless.

IceWarm
PostPosted: Sep 25 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought Snake looked like Michael Biehn on the NES box. But he's too old now unfortunately. I could see either Hugh Jackman or Christian Bale playing Snake, and as Syd said Kurt Russell for old Snake as the character in large is based on Snake Pliskin. He even goes by Pliskin in Metal Gear Solid 2.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Sep 26 2012 02:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think Michael Biehn was the model for the original NES Metal Gear box.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Sep 26 2012 03:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I read a while ago that Bale wanted to play Snake. I also read Hayter wrote a script but Kojima shot him down. Those may have been rumors, I would like to hear the official word from Kojima.

And I'm all for Russell playing Snake. It would be like an unofficial Escape 3.

Whether or not this movie turns out to suck I will probably see it either way. I'm such a MGS fanboy. Sad
Alowishus
PostPosted: Sep 26 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nevermind that, i'm still wondering were the World of Warcraft movie is at lol.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/
Reply to topic

Jump to: