[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Bruce Lee of Drums

Reply to topic
3skulls
Title: Skinned Alive to Death
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 09:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is Josh Freese.

One of the most amazing and versatile drummers I've ever seen. Impecable timing and speed. He's is/ was a permanent member of The Vandals, Guns N' Roses, Nine Inch Nails, Devo, A Perfect Circle, and Weezer. He is also a sometimes member and or played with The Replacements, Infectious Grooves,Suicidal Tendencies, Paramore,Sting, Good Charlotte,The Offspring,Lostprophets,Megadeth,Joe cocker,Katy Perry,Cher....and on and on..

Whether or not you've heard of or like any of the above artists he's collaborated with it goes without saying he can play with just about anyone and is one of the most sought after session drummers around. He's also very funny.

I've seen him play with the Long Beach Punk legends The Vandals several times and he's fun to watch. One show years ago they were opening up for New York hardcore band H20 and he filled in for their drummer at the last second after he was hurt right before the show. Never missed a beat!

Keep in mind Nine in Nails' music was originally written and performed on an electronic drum machine.

3skulls means you die.

<

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Loved Freese from his work with The Vandals.

3skulls
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh..I almost forgot..The Vandals found sort of "discovered" Mr. Freese at Disneyland while he was an electronic drummer for a band called Polo who performed at the Tomorrowland part of the park.

3skulls means you die.

<

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's awesome. Also, your sig is fantastic.

JRA
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When the hell did Josh Freese play with Megadeth?

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is Zach Hill.

One of the most bat shit insane and unique playing styled drummers i have ever seen. Impecable timing, speed, insane chops and single kick technique. He's is/ was a permanent member of Hella andTeam Sleep. He is also a sometimes member and or played with Boredoms, Holy Smokes, Flössin, Crime in Choir, Goon Moon, The Ladies, Scars on Broadway, Legs on Earth, Marnie Stern, Bygones, CHLL PLL, El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Diamond Watch Wrists, RISIL, Wavves, Death Grips....and on and on..

Whether or not you've heard of or like any of the above artists he's collaborated with it goes without saying he can play with just about anyone and is one of the most sought after session drummers around. He sweats so much during every gig that the ground around him is soaked. He sweats so much that the pedals become so slippy that he finds it difficult to play. He has been known to play so hard that he sprains his ankles. The man is also skin and bone.

I've seen him play on the Concentration Face dvd. Just look at this man play, i have never seen anything like it in my whole life. His drum parts make no sense. Well they do but they are so finely crafted i sometimes wonder what the fuck am i hearing. He effortlessly transistions from different complex/compound times to another.

FUN FACT: The guitarist you see in the video is the drummer for The Advantage - Video game cover band.

Additional Reading:
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

buddy rich. you cant talk about drummers without talking about buddy rich. nothing against these other cats, but you dont really expect someone that looks like buddy rich to drum like that

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
buddy rich. you cant talk about drummers without talking about buddy rich. nothing against these other cats, but you dont really expect someone that looks like buddy rich to drum like that

Hahaha i was actually going to do a:

This is Buddy Rich.

His stick trick solo is fucking ridiculous:

The independence of his hands is absolutely ridiculous. I know he is heralded as the greatest drummer of all time but outside jazz he doesn't really hold up to be honest.

But man..does this the guy swing....on one of my favorite jazz songs too!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
The independence of his hands is absolutely ridiculous. I know he is heralded as the greatest drummer of all time but outside jazz he doesn't really hold up to be honest.

i concur

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

3skulls
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 02:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
When the hell did Josh Freese play with Megadeth?

Sorry..more specifically he laid session tracks for Megadeth reportedly as of 2010. He is not a member.

Yes buddy Rich is a legend and probaly the most impecable jazz drummer ever..but I agree outside of jazz it doesent stand up..That's why I'm praising Mr. Freese heis incredibally versatile. His body of work speaks for itself.

3skulls means you die.

<

3skulls
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 02:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
That's awesome. Also, your sig is fantastic.

Thanks!..I like it too...Pete and pete was my favorite back in the day.

3skulls means you die.

<

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 08:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

He was not a permanent member of GNR... he was with the band for two years during a time period where they didn't put out an album.

3skulls
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
He was not a permanent member of GNR... he was with the band for two years during a time period where they didn't put out an album.

That is correct. I shouldn't have used the word permanent. He toured with them a bit replacing Matt Sorum and played on tracks on the infamous ill-fated never released Chinese Democracy album.

3skulls means you die.

<

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

3skulls wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

That is correct. I shouldn't have used the word permanent. He toured with them a bit replacing Matt Sorum and played on tracks on the infamous ill-fated never released Chinese Democracy album.

Chinese Democracy was released on November 23, 2008... it was kinda a big deal.

3skulls
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Once again I misspoke..I'll be honest I stopped caring after 2005. But yes they did finally release a forgetable album. It might have been a big deal to some but apparently not to me. I do appreciate the correction. I made a big assumption and in turn made myself a big ass...Thanks for putting me in the know!

3skulls means you die.

<

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
3skulls wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

Chinese Democracy was released on November 23, 2008... it was kinda a huge letdown

Fixed.[/b]

3skulls
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fixed!.....indeed...I'm trying to keep my snark levels low out of respect and because of my reformed lurker status.

3skulls means you die.

<

3skulls
PostPosted: Jan 27 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Zach Hill is fucking amazing..Hella wouldn't have been the same without him. It took me a while to get into that band but when I did I realized it was the beats that kept me comong back....Had no idea about his other contributions except with Omar from ATDI/Mars Volta and The Boredoms....Ill make it a point to check some of the others out.

3skulls means you die.

<

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Jan 28 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly 2:05 to 2:38 or so, but definitely one of my favorite drummers.

Another good one. The only problem is you can't hear a lot of the stuff he's doing because the guitars overpower it..

Studio version

Saw this band live. The tempo's even faster, and while admittedly it's a lot of double kicks, fatigue's gotta set in at some point.

One more and I'm done. This band destroys live, funny as fuck watching kids try to dance to it and give up.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Reply to topic

Jump to: