SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
VH1's That Metal Show

Reply to topic
JRA
PostPosted: Nov 13 2011 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea I know it's a TV show but it has enough to do with music that I think it belongs here. The show's been out for about 4 years. I say it's high time to talk about it.

Now, I like Eddie Trunk. People accuse him of being a dork, but honestly, I'd rather have someone like him be the TV voice of metal than Jamey Jasta, who is everything that is wrong with modern heavy metal, or Mistress Juliya, who is just a whore trying to get by with bullshit alpha talk and walking around half naked, or even Riki Rachtman, who didn't seem to give a shit one way or the other.

However he needs to realize something, if he is going to call something a "Metal Show" and include hard rock artists in it, they have to be within the confines of what metal fans find acceptable. For instance, on my metal radio show I have no problem play AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Kiss, Rush, Deep Purple, Motley Crue, WASP, Thin Lizzy, shit like that. But Billy Squire? Poison? The fucking guys from Warrant and Faster Pussycat? That shit has no place on a metal show whatsoever. Trunk's idea of trying to bring the metalheads together with oddball crap like that is never, never ever going to work. Glam fans hate bands like Slayer, Venom and Celtic Frost, and "extreme" metal fans for lack of a better term, hate all of Trunk's guilty hard guitar pleasures. If he's gonna streamline the definition that much he should change it to "That Classic Rock Show" and still invite Dio, Priest, Slayer and the like. It's like when he complains about the R&RHOF including artist that aren't strictly white guitar players. Don't get me wrong, the R&RHOF can get nuked by Al Qaeda tonight but you see my point.

It also feels like the show has been expanding in the wrong ways. The show got expanded to an hour but they still keep interviews and subjects with the artists way too short. So rather than actually making the show longer they just added more segments.

Another thing I can't fucking stand is fucking Don Jameson. Every time in the Throwdown where he specifically chooses the minority vote to cause debate I want to smash him in the fucking head. THAT IS NOT HOW YOU MAKE A DISCUSSION INTERESTING! What everybody should be doing is rather than a forced debate, if everyone agrees on something just state your reasons on why product #2 is the lesser product and leave it at that.

I also think that once a season, the show should lend a hand out to either modern (non-slipknot or mallcore) metal, black or death metal. One of that type per season since too much of it would fuck with the shows classic metal vibe. Now I realize that "extreme metal" is not for everyone (as it shouldn't be), but I think these guys are really missing out by completely ignoring this section. For instance, check out these interviews with Abbath from Immortal:

Now tell me this would not be a perfect guy for this show! He even named dropped Vinnie Vincent for fuck's sake! I'm sure even Eddie would be content to talk about Kiss with the guy for the whole time.

So while I do laugh at all the metal people who think this is the worst show on TV, it could definitely use some tweakings (some of which would probably be to the chagrin of Trunk, but whatev).

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 13 2011 08:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Trunk knows a lot about shit and what not but those guys are such insufferable douchebags I can barely stand to leave it on there for a minute or two.

And if they are allowed to talk about Rush, Danzig, Cheap Trick, etc, why couldn't they be allowed to talk about Poison and the like? Because you don't like them?

JRA
PostPosted: Nov 13 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
Yeah, Trunk knows a lot about shit and what not but those guys are such insufferable douchebags I can barely stand to leave it on there for a minute or two.

And if they are allowed to talk about Rush, Danzig, Cheap Trick, etc, why couldn't they be allowed to talk about Poison and the like? Because you don't like them?

Because "metalheads" don't like them. Like I said before, it would be one thing if it was called "That hard rock show" and metal guys like Maiden and Priest were allowed on with the explanation that "metal is a part of the hard rock family too." That would be great, but because it operates under the pretense of being a metal show, it needs to be much more strict.

The sad fact is, after about 1985 or so, any band that wasn't anti-social spikes and metal was more or less a hair band/pop metal whatever you want to call it. That's why Motley Crue, Aerosmith and AC/DC could get away with it, but Poison, Warrant, and Ratt couldn't.

And to be honest, I kind of did have a problem with Cheap Trick being on the show. I have absolutely nothing against the band, and Rick Nielson is legendary with guitar theatrics, but I can just picture 90's kid caricatures in the background going "Cheap Trick? That's not metal!"

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 13 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm a huge Cheap Trick fan so it was very cool to see him on there. I can imagine some of the black tanktop wearing 20 somethings scoffing and saying "His face not pale, he not growl, who he?!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 16 2011 07:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
The sad fact is, after about 1985 or so, any band that wasn't anti-social spikes and metal was more or less a hair band/pop metal whatever you want to call it. That's why Motley Crue, Aerosmith and AC/DC could get away with it, but Poison, Warrant, and Ratt couldn't.

Keep in mind this show is on VH1 Classic, they probably have a contractual obligation to promote bands that VH1 Classic has in their video obligation.

Also, get over the whole "metal" thing. "Poison isn't metal" was an important debate in 1989, but that was 22 years ago. We don't have to take sides anymore, just like we don't have to take sides in Nintendo vs. Sega anymore. And also, the genre is called hair metal. I mean, come on, metal is right in the genre name. And musically, Poison isn't any less metal than KISS.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JRA
PostPosted: Nov 18 2011 07:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
JRA wrote:

Keep in mind this show is on VH1 Classic, they probably have a contractual obligation to promote bands that VH1 Classic has in their video obligation.

Also, get over the whole "metal" thing. "Poison isn't metal" was an important debate in 1989, but that was 22 years ago. We don't have to take sides anymore, just like we don't have to take sides in Nintendo vs. Sega anymore. And also, the genre is called hair metal. I mean, come on, metal is right in the genre name. And musically, Poison isn't any less metal than KISS.

This would be a valid argument if the host of the show itself, Eddie didn't more or less agree. He prefers to classify all those bands as hard rock, and I agree with that more than anything else.

Milhouse
PostPosted: Nov 18 2011 08:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So...your foremost complaint is that the name of the show should be changed? Have you seen the people in the audience? I think the show drives them in from the retirement home a block away. I don't think they care about new black metal or whatever it's called. I don't think anyone in the audience knows anything about this genre; none of them remember "their own" questions during Stump the Trunk...

So, change the name of the show...it's a silly premise anyway. Metal, like Punk, wasn't necessarily popular for the music itself, but rather the attitude. Am I scared of a 50 year old, 200 pound Axl Rose? Hell yes...I'm scared he'll eat all of the doughnuts before I get one.
JRA
PostPosted: Nov 18 2011 09:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Milhouse wrote:
Am I scared of a 50 year old, 200 pound Axl Rose? Hell yes...I'm scared he'll eat all of the doughnuts before I get one.

Your post was extremely douchey, but this made me LOL.

Reply to topic

Jump to: