"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Manga Recommendations

Reply to topic
M3GA MAN
Title: The Big A
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 01:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah... taking a page right out of SnesGuy's book... I've been in need of some manga lately, I haven't really read bunches... I've read through Dragonball and DBZ, Berserk, and that's about it... I'm down for any genre, but I'd much prefer horror and sci-fi... anything's game though.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 01:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

M3GA MAN wrote:
Yeah... taking a page right out of SnesGuy's book... I've been in need of some manga lately, I haven't really read bunches... I've read through Dragonball and DBZ, Berserk, and that's about it... I'm down for any genre, but I'd much prefer horror and sci-fi... anything's game though.

Dragon Ball is really good. So is Hikaru no Go.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 01:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

The last one i red was Lady Snowblood and its a great manga.
I recommend it. Also Neon Genesis Evangelion is entertaining, Dragonball as mentioned. One Piece is good.
Uhm... if you like silly simple stuff just for entertainment you can read Dr.Slump.
If your life is all about meeting that one right girl read I's or Video Girl Ai.
They are good. There's a Zelda manga, think that will work for you.
Gundam Wing if you like that whole Mecha stuff.
Deathnote has nice drawings and is overall pretty decent.
One of my personal favorites is Angelic Layer. It's a stupid kinda magical girl/monster trainer like manga. Very simple to get into and probably not great in anyway but that is what i liked about it. Yeah, odd i know. Rorouni Kenshin is also quiet famous, it's a samurai shonen (=for boys= a lot of fighting) manga.
I think it blows but many people like it.
A real good Samurai manga is Vagabond. It shows the life of miyamoto musashi, the worlds most famous samurai. It has incredible drawings and very good fighting scenes. hm, what else. Record of Lodoss War is very good. Classic Fantasy genre manga. worth checking out.
Anything from Satoshi Urushihara (PLastic Little, Legend of Lemnear...) if you just like to see beautiful drawings, the mangas overall suck, but for the art it is worth it.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 02:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ooooh, this is gonna be a doozy...

Let's see: Death Note, Eyeshield 21, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Black Jack, Phoenix, Berserker, D.Gray-Man, Kinnikuman (and to a lesser degree, Kinnikuman Nisei a.k.a. Ultimate Muscle), Akira, Hunter x Hunter, Azumanga Daigo, Lucky*Star...

Gah, I could mention a few more, but that would require scandalations.
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 02:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hellsing is amazing. The manga existence is the sole reason I get angry over the anime. It claims to be a horror manga, but it is more of an action manga with stylized art.
Bio Meat - Nectar is on par with Hellsing for me, though you will have to read scans, as the series will probably never be released in any country outside of Japan. It is a horror manga as well, and unlike Hellsing, can be very unsettling.
Kyou Kara Ore Wa is an old school yankii manga that has held up really well. It is silly as all hell, but the characters are all likable in their own ways.
Otaku no Musume-San is all sorts of fun, if you can get into over the top Japanese comedies. It is a weird mix of poking fun at Otakus and poking fun at Japanese society.
Rokuyoku is a nice little horror one shot.
AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes! I remember a few more!

- Battle Royale
- Gyo
- Uzumaki (it pisses me off how much the movie sucked...)

And of course, let's not forget that masterpiece, Prince of Tennis! Such a masterful manga about the glorious noble sport... BWAHAHAHA!! Disregard that, I'm just joshing! Avoid that one at all costs! Unless you want a deep understanding of what constitutes a Mary Sue, and completely missing the point between implying skill with visual metaphors and just plain superpowers.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Read it back to front. That's my only recommendation.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

It really depends on what you're looking for. Mangoes are very diverse. there is everything from super hero stuff to comedy-romance to shit about sports.

Some stuff that I have read and enjoyed:
Hellsing. Gunslinger Girl. Video Girl Ai. Megaman Megamix. Monster.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Feb 18 2011 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Negima Negima Negima Negima NEGIMA NEGIMA NEGIMA NEEEEEGIIIIIIMAAAAAA!

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Feb 19 2011 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Naruto, Bleach are also very famous shonen mangas. Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) is a more humoristic manga about school life and stuff and also quiet famous.
X by the mangkas (= Manga Autor) Clamp is good too. It's a fantasy manga, kinda dark, good drawing style. The story is also ok. You could check that one out.
FLCL is also a famous one, i can't remember the plot or anyting it's just outstanding weird and got an obscure and childish drawing style.
D.N.A was ok. Scfi Manga with very good and sexy drawings (Masakazu Katsura is very good at illustrating sexy females). It's not very deep in any way but has some good fighting scenes and interesting characters. Hunter X Hunter is also a famous shonen manga.
The famous shonen mangas are basically all the same. You have a maincharacter who is/or wants to become the strongest, an assload of fights, an ok storyline and it gets extremer and extremer (wich sometimes leads the manga to become faceless if you look at Dragonball or Naruto). They are all very intertaining though.
You could check out simply the Mangas of Akira Toriyama (who is also the guy who draws for the Dragon Quest Series and did the artworks for Chrono Trigger). He is the worlds most famous mangaka and his work is plain good. You could pick any random manga he wrote and it will turn out to be quality entertainment.

it was the best of times

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Feb 21 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I almost forgot, you should give Bakuman and Comic Party a try: Those are about being a mangaka and a doujinshi (Comic Book artist and fanfic comic artist) respectively.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 21 2011 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Spice and Wolf is something that I recommend.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 21 2011 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

X and GTO are fantastic, but bleach and naruto and negima are dumb.

Eureka Seven is also fantastic.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 28 2011 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot about cross game. It's about romance and baseball.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 05:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
I forgot about cross game. It's about romance and baseball.

Slam Dunk. A comedy manga with basketball as theme. i heard it's supposed to be very funny.
Highschool of the dead. i have only seen the anime but it is decent. zombie-splatter mixed with fanservice and good drawings. worked for me.
i think the best you could do is to grab a manga that gets you really hyped.
Try One Piece at the start.

it was the best of times

aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 09:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would recommend against the Battle Royale manga unless you want to see middle school girls having sex and lots and lots of internal organs being sprayed across the page. If the story interests you, watch the movie or read the book.

I suppose most of the manga I read is a bit more shojo-y, but not by much.

- Island: This one is a Korean manga (or, manhwa) about a girl whose dad dumps her on a resort island off the coast of Korea to teach at an elementary school. Her first day there she's attacked by a demon and then saved by a man who turns out to be a serial killer. He then wants to kill her cause she's seen his face. Lots of action, magicky stuff. Zero romance. Only 7 volumes.

- Priest: Another Korean manhwa. This one is about an undead priest who makes a pact with a demon to come back from the dead so he can kill the fallen angel Temozarela and his 12 angel disciples before they destroy the world. Set in the wild wild west. Lots of zombies. They're also making a movie with the same name, but it has about as much in common with the plot as a Marilyn Manson has with Hanson. Well, there's still a priest killing undead things, but these are vampires. Clearly they're trying to cash in on the current vampire craze in Hollywood.

I can recommend more, but they all still fall into this same kind of category. Horror, fantasy, mystery, that kind of stuff. Not sure if you're into that.

天上天下唯我独尊

Reply to topic

Jump to: