SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Rate this as a wrestling company

Reply to topic
JRA
PostPosted: Dec 23 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dream company with everyone listed being alive and in their prime.

Faces:
Hulk Hogan (force to learn 5 new moves)
Steve Austin
Jake The Snake
Bret Hart
Sting
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Randy Savage
Ricky Steamboat
Ultimate Warrior
Iran Sgt. Slaughter
Edge
British Bulldog

Bounce in between:
The Rock
Shawn Michaels
Undertaker
Iron Sheik
Mick Foley

Heels:
Big Boss Man
Ric Flair & Four Horsemen
John Cena (jobber)
Chris Jericho
HHH (british or GTFO) & the Vince Mcmahon stable
Million Dollar Man
Razor Ramon
The Mountie
Yokozuna
IRS
Lex Luger
Andre The Giant
The Big Show

tag teams:
demolition
bushwackers
natural disasters
legion of doom
Money Inc ($$$, Virgil, IRS)
The Benny Guerreros (Eddie G. & Chris Benoit)
Motor City Machine Guns

Commentators:
Jessie Ventura
Jim Ross
Gorilla Monsoon

interviewers:
Gene Okerlund
Michael Cole (for Rock & Piper harassment purposes)
Coachman (for Rock & Piper harassment purposes)
Tony Schavonie (also for Rock & Piper Harassment purposes)

Managers:
Jimmy Hart
Miss Elizabeth
Mr. Perfect
Bobby The Brain Hennan
Lita

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Some of those guys are dead, most of them are old. You need some young talent, and a undercard.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Seeing as most of those guys are dead, out of shape, or riddled with personal problems, I'd say it would not be very good.

And who would want to watch "The has-beens of the WWF" anyways?

If you want a successful wrestling promotion, you need to develop your own interesting characters, storylines, and gimmicks, and put on decent matches. Not just take a list of so-called legends and mix them in and hope people go insane from the awesome.

(And seriously, Jake Roberts? Dude is a fucking train wreck. Go watch Beyond The Mat)
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Are you playing EWR?

Thunderhorse
Title: This is DELICIOUS!
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
If you want a successful wrestling promotion, you need to develop your own interesting characters, storylines, and gimmicks, and put on decent matches. Not just take a list of so-called legends and mix them in and hope people go insane from the awesome.

We should totally make a Sydlexia Wrestling Federation!

But in all seriousness, I'd totally watch Has-beens of the WWF.

This Is Tuna With Bacon

JRA
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose I should have clarified that this would have been a dream wrestling company with all of the people listed being alive and in their prime.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Iran Sgt. Slaughter? Don't you mean Iraq Sgt. Slaughter? Why the fuck would you want him anyways? Slaughter was absolutely dreadful as an Iraqi sympathizer, easily one of the most paper thin reasonings for someone to become a heel. I've stated before how much I hated the main event of WM7, despite the rest of the card being good.

Also, why is Mr. Perfect a manager? Are you referring to the time he spent with Flair? He was decent, but in no way would I want a guy who could literally have great matches with nearly anyone to be managing.

Also, your roster is way too stacked. Moderation is good in wrestling, and when you have like 20 main eventers, almost every one of them is going to suffer. That's really why the brand extension happened to begin with, but even then you have absolutely no undercard, unless you push everyone down.

And yeah...HILARIOUS that John Cena is a jobber.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You still also have a bunch of schlubs, too. Even if they were big names, people like Hogan, the Warrior, Jake the Snake, Slaughter (As a face? Come on!), Yokozuna, the Shiek, and Luger were notoriously poor wrestlers (and those are just the ones I know of). None of your tag teams have any value at all, though I never heard of the last one. And managers are a thing of the past.

And though I meant it a different way, your roster really is packed with old. Not the wrestlers themselves, but the style. Though the purists might appreciate a good old fashioned rasslin' match every now and then, it's really not gonna fly today.

And finally, you really, really can't make decisions based upon "who you like". If you don't like Cena, but the crowd really digs him, you're wasting talent by jobbing him and just giving another company a chance to snag him up for a big role. You let your personal favorites decide the product, you get WCW and late 80s-early 90s WWF. You also can't succeed by pidgeon-holing people into poor gimmicks...HHH was easily one of the greatest heels ever, pushing him back into the "blueblood" gimmick is just killing him.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

HHH wasn't a great heel. People legitimately hated him during the McMahon-Helmsley Era. And this wasn't 1985, when people believed the kayfabe storylines. This was 2000, the era of smarks. A great heel gets over with the fans despite being a heel. Heel Cena was over. Heel Flair was over. Rick "The Model" Martel was over. Heel Angle was over. Heel HHH was not. He drew cheap heat. He would come out and waste the first 30 minutes of every RAW talking about how great he was. Then he'd wrestle a two star match, cheat like a motherfucker, and finish things off with an embarassingly unconvincing pedigree. HHH's workrate and booking were just as bad as those of the OTHER Triple H (Hollywood Hulk Hogan) during the tail end of the nWo era, when the fans got sick of every fucking match ending in a DQs, a brawl, or an otherwise dirty win.

The only time HHH was EVER good was on the Drew Carey Show when he played The Disciplinarian. He should have developed that into a legit gimmick, because it was fucking fantastic.

Oh, and The Rock. The Rock did most of his best work as a heel.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I mean if you want to call it a "fantasy roster", that's all fine, but since you're literally asking us to rate it, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 3, and I'm being very modest there since I have seen worse. Nonetheless, you should really try to work it down to having maybe 8 main events, 14 midcarders, 4 to 6 tag teams and a couple enhancement talent and you'd be good. As far as commentators and managers, none of that shit really matters if you're ideally looking for people such as Hogan or Austin, they exceeded well without a manager, as did almost every name on your list.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have to disagree with you Syd, you might call it cheap heat, but heat is heat. I'd rather be legitimately hated over someone sitting on their hands or going to the restroom. The term X-Pac heat is one of the biggest lies to the business, if you garner a reaction out of the crowd, you're doing your job. Despite the fact that the fans are split on him, John Cena gets the biggest reactions of the night. Guys such as Roddy Piper and Freddie Blassie were hated in their day as well, and even attacked with lethal weapons, so if that isn't legit heat, I don't know what is.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 01:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
I have to disagree with you Syd, you might call it cheap heat, but heat is heat. I'd rather be legitimately hated over someone sitting on their hands or going to the restroom. The term X-Pac heat is one of the biggest lies to the business, if you garner a reaction out of the crowd, you're doing your job. Despite the fact that the fans are split on him, John Cena gets the biggest reactions of the night. Guys such as Roddy Piper and Freddie Blassie were hated in their day as well, and even attacked with lethal weapons, so if that isn't legit heat, I don't know what is.

Then explain Vicki G. Nobody likes her. The crowd boos so loudly when she tries to talk, you can't hear what she is saying. People change channels when they see her.

That is not good heat.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

X-Pac heat is a real thing, for sure. You can hate the "character" someone plays and admire the wrestler. But when the wrestler isn't respected and is drawing the boos, that's just not good. They don't want to see you lose, they just don't want to see you.

And I highly disagree with the idea that a heal should "get over" with the fans. A heel's job is to get booed. To get the crowd pissed at him. To be the biggest asshole on the planet. HHH was that, and to be perfectly honest, I always appreciated that he -didn't- take the cheap way out and become a face when he was getting popular like The Rock, Austin, 'Taker, Michaels, and so many others...he just focused on being a bigger dick. I do hate a lot of the storylines he was in, they REALLY overpushed him, and it's not really good to keep a heel on top for so long. But I think he was a great bad guy and. well, yeah, look at Jeebus's sig. (Full disclosure: I fell out of wrestling around 2000, I don't know what he's been doing since, so keep that in mind).

My point, though, was regardless of who I sign, I'm not gonna sign them on the condition they stay with a certain persona or work a certain silly gimmick. Wrestlers who are working gimmicks they hate don't work as well.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Again, Piper and Blassie were a different era. People didn't understand that wrestling was a con. And they still had their fans, despite that. They were bastards, but they were lovable bastards. Roddy Piper smacking a guy upside the head with a coconut? Who DOESN'T love that?

Anyone can make someone boo them. Just say the town you're in sucks, cheat to win, and give a long boring speech about how great you are. Drawing heat is easy. The best heels are the heels that can win fans even when they're playing a douchebag. Guys like HBK and Edge. It's all about workrate. HHH is a shitty worker. He was good back in the day, when he was fighting to get noticed and hoping not to be jobbed out to Ultimate Warrior. But he's been lazy for years. Kevin Nash puts on better matches than HHH. KEVIN FUCKING NASH! That's saying something.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 03:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it was a different era, but again "X-Pac heat" isn't valid unless you are literally losing so much business that it's causing the ratings to tumble. Ratings usually go down due to the fact that guys like Rock and Austin are no longer wrestling, rather than the ploys of some cheating bastard like Triple H. And I'm going to be perfectly honest, Triple H wasn't really that bad during his reign of terror, with the exception of going over Booker T, which was bullshit. I rather see him as champ over Kane, Goldberg, Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash. Plus Triple H did something that almost everyone else has failed at since Batista, he made the World Heavyweight Title mean something, and I like a lot of others felt that it actually eclipsed the WWE Title during that time.

Knyte wrote:
People change channels when they see her.That is not good heat.

How do you know they do? Do you look at the ratings breakdown? I sometimes change the channel, but it has less to do with the person than it does the segment they're involved in, and at least Vickie isn't doing Hornswoggle shit every week. Besides, this isn't the Monday Night Wars anymore, and WWE knows that, they'll have a core audience no matter what. And while WWE's ratings have been suffering as a whole recently, that's hardly one person's fault. Speaking of Vickie, was anyone else offended when Cena and Lawler were ripping on her last Monday? Vickie isn't the most attractive woman in the world, but I don't think she necessarily looks bad for a middle aged woman with 2 kids. WWE loves to degrade women.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 04:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does Vader still wrestle?

Also didn't Yokozuna "kill" Hacksaw Jim Duggen by smothering him in ass fat?

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 05:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, we can agree to disagree on HHH, but I would never call someone who had a Boston Crab slapped on them with a torn quad muscle and didn't give a single indication of it a "shitty worker".
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 06:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I somewhat agree with Syd, I mean as far as the quality of matches that Triple H has anymore, most of them are pretty generic and forgettable, I don't know if it's age, injuries, laziness or a combination of any of those, but Triple H hasn't been interesting since his match at Wrestlemania 22. It doesn't help that he's a generic boring face now. And this is coming from someone who was in full support of Triple H during his reign of terror, he was much more interesting than any of the opponents he faced during that time, with the exception of Booker T.

If I had to really rip on Triple H for anything, it's that he's the only person who is allowed to have a signature weapon; the sledgehammer. No one else is allowed to use one except him.

Also, Vader might still independent bookings, but he doesn't wrestle full time anymore. The last time we saw him was in a surprise appearance in 2005 where he beat down Batista and proceeded to fall on his fat ass leaving the ring. It was hilarious.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 25 2010 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vader can barely walk. I really hope he doesn't wrestle anymore.
JRA
PostPosted: Dec 26 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
HHH wasn't a great heel. People legitimately hated him during the McMahon-Helmsley Era. And this wasn't 1985, when people believed the kayfabe storylines. This was 2000, the era of smarks. A great heel gets over with the fans despite being a heel. Heel Cena was over. Heel Flair was over. Rick "The Model" Martel was over. Heel Angle was over. Heel HHH was not. He drew cheap heat. He would come out and waste the first 30 minutes of every RAW talking about how great he was. Then he'd wrestle a two star match, cheat like a motherfucker, and finish things off with an embarassingly unconvincing pedigree. HHH's workrate and booking were just as bad as those of the OTHER Triple H (Hollywood Hulk Hogan) during the tail end of the nWo era, when the fans got sick of every fucking match ending in a DQs, a brawl, or an otherwise dirty win.

This is precisely the reason why I said British or GTFO.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 26 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

This is precisely the reason why I said British or GTFO.

Putting aside the fact he never was British...his Connecticut Blueblood persona was this too. Most heel gimmicks back in the day were nothing but cheap heat.

And ask Steven Regal how well the British Heel gets over nowadays.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Dec 27 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Knyte wrote:
People change channels when they see her.That is not good heat.

How do you know they do? Do you look at the ratings breakdown?

Because, myself and most of my wrestling watching friends all agree that we do. Other than a few quality matches, there is already very little reason to watch Smackdown, and when that annoying wench appears, that's all the reason we need to go find something else to watch.

Also, I believe he means HHH's "French" persona, (Not British) in WCW. When he was known as Jean Paul Levesque, and billed as being from France.

Though, he did team with Lord Steven (William) Regal for awhile, who was British, so I can see the confusion.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 28 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but you can't base the fact that everyone turns the channel when Vickie is on there, especially in a segment involving John Cena. If there's anyone who makes me personally want to change the channel, it's Cena, but I don't speak for every viewer.

Speaking of Cena, they're once again rehashing the Nexus storyline with Punk in Barrett's spot....gee I wonder who's going to win? I would've much preferred a one on one match of Punk vs. Cena, despite the fact that Cena has already beaten him twice on Raw, with one of those matches under 2 minutes. But I guess since it's Cena, they have to act like he has the odds stacked against him once again. On the flip side, Miz is being booked to look like a joke against 60 year old Jerry Lawler.

Also about Triple H's WCW french gimmick, what's funny about that is he spoke like Arnold Schwarzenegger. His gimmick previously to that was known as Terra Ryzing. Expect him to win the Royal Rumble this year, folks.
Reply to topic

Jump to: