SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Why do Legos suck these days?

Reply to topic
Josh.0
PostPosted: Dec 14 2010 07:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I remember being all about legos. I went through huge space, castle, town, pirate, and even aquanauts phases. These days, all legos look like shit. All of them are based off of popular franchises and are way to easy to put together due to huge, uncreative pieces that are now used.

Yeah, nothing is as cool as I remember it from back in the day, but legos used to be awesome even if it did cost $100 for a badass pirate ship. Maybe it's because kids have bad taste these days.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Dec 14 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Funny you mention the Pirate sets, I think that's where the big unimaginative hunks of plastic shit (the boat hull specifically) got their debut.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 01:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I could not agree with you more. I think about this every single time I'm in the toy aisle of a store. Legos were my all time favorite--Castles were my absolute favorite of all time, but I also had some Pirate and Space in there. You could create entire worlds and epic stories with that stuff!

My only comfort in the wasteland of merchansiding rights that Lego has become is that most kids (I hope) will ignore the tie ins, and just make up whatever stories and characters they damn well please. Which is as it should be.

On a semi-related note: Playmobil rocked too.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 04:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Should have asked FNJ.
Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 04:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never had more than once or two items from a specific set, so my lego childhood fun was a schizophrenic mishmash of space and pirate and castle and aqua-whatevers and snow planet and technicals and the random city set, like the cop station.

Anyone else remember losing the visor to a helmet or the hinge to a windscreen in a giant box of legos and wasting what felt like half of your life trying to find it?

Oh, it's terrible!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 07:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Legos peaked somewhere in the early 90s. In the earlier days, there were a very limited number of blocks, and design sometimes suffered from it. And as we've already mentioned, these days there are TOO MANY specialized pieces, many of which are quite large. These larger pieces cut down construction time (which is a bad thing) and stifle creativity. It used to be that you could take a Lego set, ignore the instructions, and still build something ridiculously cool. Now it's damn near impossible,
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 07:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I felt like Lego's peaked after '89 but before '94.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 08:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

In terms of playset designs, Lego Pirates and the first castle sets with wizards and dragons were the beginning of the end, but they were still cool because we got neat shit like treasure chests, sharks, cannons, and bridges.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 08:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Those cannons were frigg'n awesome. The fact that they could shoot an already established piece was fantastic. If they made a new cannon I bet they would make it use a new ammo that only fit in that one cannon and then give you exactly one of them.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 08:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I still have a shit load of treasure chests I think. They were boss.

My friend had this operating monorail Lego thing one time, I don't remember the exact name. Were there multiples of this, or there just one? If I could find that exact one I would snatch that shit up and save it to build with my daughter when she's old enough.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 08:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

There were three Lego monorails. Two space themed ones and an airport one. They're all collectors items now, especially the the airport one because no one wanted it. I actually have the airport one. Unfortunately, the pieces are scattered amongst boxes of blocks at my grandmother's house. Someday, I might attempt to reassemble it and possibly sell it.
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had something like 3 buckets of legos at both my Dad's and Mom's house. I never actually had many sets, just random pieces from several different ones. Wish my parents had never gotten rid of them because I wouldn't be afraid to break them out right now and mess around with them. In fact I've been considering buying some because they were fun, but if they have gotten to being sucky giant pieces maybe I won't. I didn't realize that they had moved away from smaller blocks you could go crazy with and still end up at awesome. Huge blocks that cut down on my already limited creativity would be awful.
Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One day in the future all lego sets will come fully assembled and superglued in place, it will be a bleak and unimaginative era where creativity and the free spirit are all but forgotten.

Josh.0
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I totally forgot about that snow planet stuff.

While those castle playsets and big pirate ships did have huge huge base pieces, you still built a considerable amount of shit on top of them, so that was pretty cool. Treasue chests and the gold that went inside of them were the shit.

At first I liked the idea of building Star Destroyers and X-Wings out of legos, but it kind of got out of hand after that. Plus at that point I was kind of older and stopped spending a shitload of money on legos.
Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My wife let me put King's Mountain Fortress on one of the bookshelves in our living room.

I'm jealous of some of the set ideas they have today, but not so keen on the execution.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 15 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed, the ideas are great, execution is disappointing.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 20 2010 02:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

For me personally, Legos peaked from about 89-96.

I began collecting with the Space sets. The earlier Space sets were a little too generic, but when they started adding actual personality to each branch of the Space squads, it was really cool. You had M-Tron, Blacktron, Space Police, Ice Planet, Spyrius, Unitron and the Exploriens. All of which had specific color palettes and cool gimmicks such as magnets, rockets or robots. And while I loved Space, I think I liked the Pirates even more. I still have my Skull's Eye Schooner sitting in my room, which I consider one of the best sets ever made. Sure the Black Seas Barracuda and Red Beard Runner were cool, but the Skull's Eye Schooner is the only one I felt truly got it right. Castle was another cool series, but I never had any of the castles, since I didn't have a lot of money. I'd still love to go back and get 1996's Royal Knight's Castle, that is a thing of beauty.

From that point, they started getting a little too articulate with the characters, as well as branching off and doing stuff such as Star Wars. I've gone on about this before, but it always pisses me off that they changed the style of faces on the characters. They always seemed so cool how they could build a character around the basic smiling design, they might add hair or a mustache, but overall, it was basic fun. Unless you count the Spyrius' droid or the skeleton, Lego started changed the Lego face concept in late 1996 with the launch of the Western sets. They made the three bad guys with evil smug faces. Honestly, those sets were awesome, especially the lego fort, and since the only three bad characters were changed, I didn't have a huge problem. But then, they did more in 1997, and by 1998, they started appearing on almost everyone. Also in 1998, they discontinued the Pirates and the Wild West. The Space sets really sucked...I mean Rock Raiders? Seriously? Even the Town sets started to suck, and they began to throw whatever they could out there, especially themes that lasted for maybe 2 or 3 years tops such as Adventure.

And while I agree that most Legos have gone downhill, I will disagree that it's getting worse. With the new modular sets, Lego is going back to it's roots to an extent. They also even did a very well done Imperial ship recently. Another thing that does bother me, is that a lot of times anymore, they'll manufacture pieces that only serve purpose to one or two sets.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 23 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tomdincan wrote:
My wife let me put King's Mountain Fortress on one of the bookshelves in our living room.

I'm jealous of some of the set ideas they have today, but not so keen on the execution.

Meh. Call me old school, but I prefer Black Falcon Fortress and King's Castle. What the fuck was the deal with Black Falcon Fortress? Why did have that one yellow castle piece? I always dreamed of being rich enough to buy 100 Black Falcon Fortresses and building a castle out of nothing but those yellow pieces.

Also, you know what I hated? Fucking Technic. I only like Lego sets that come with mini figs, dammit!
Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 23 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Technics seemed like a cool idea, but I only had one set, which was like a forklift or something equally as boring. Did they make anything cool out of Technics?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 23 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, they made motors for it. And it had all those pulleys and shit. So if you were clever, I'm sure you could make something badass out of them. But the fact that Technic bricks all fucking looked like Swiss cheese kinda sucked. It really broke the fourth wall and took you out of the Lego experience.
Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 24 2010 07:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I want to get a ton of legos so I can build some of the stuff over at www.brickcommander.com, they've got instructions and shit on how to build mechs from Battletech / Robotech that are scaled perfectly to fit a minifig pilot in.

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Dec 27 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I had a whole Rubber Maid Bin of these. All kinds of Random colors, sets and pieces.

I would build fucking multi-colored spaceships since I didn't have enough of the same color matching blocks or too lazy to find them.

Then a Knights Body with a Pirate head would be flying it. With a Chest full of tiny ass loseable gold coins, and a few larger gems.

Seriously. Legos were fucking awesome as a kid. I loved building all kinds of random ass shit with them.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Dec 27 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
I began collecting with the Space sets. The earlier Space sets were a little too generic, but when they started adding actual personality to each branch of the Space squads, it was really cool. You had M-Tron, Blacktron, Space Police, Ice Planet, Spyrius, Unitron and the Exploriens.

I remember those!

I had a few of the Space Police sets when I was like 12 or so, but was really envious of my friend who had a shit ton of the Blacktron. (That was the Black and Gold themed space stuff, right?)
Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 27 2010 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Blacktron was black & yellow, M Tron was like Red & Green & Black, and Aquanauts was pretty much Sealab 2020.

Reply to topic

Jump to: