"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
I have the power!

Reply to topic
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 29 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Two months ago I decided that I'd been playing Magic for almost 16 years, so it's about fucking time I assembled the power 10. I had had a piece or two here and there, but never more than 3 at a time, and only 6 different pieces. After two months and $0, it finally happened.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 29 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who viewed, image is now fixed.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 29 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. Who's signature is that on the Lotus?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

i don't play magic but i'm familiar with trading cards. can you explain the effect of power 10?
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

1) how the hell did you get your hands on a Black Lotus? I don't know much about Magic cards, but I do know THAT one.

2) WTF is the Power of 10, and why is assembling it a goal?

3) Congratulations!! Very Happy

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Power 10" is a nickname in Magic for the strongest/brokenest cards from Alpha and Beta (the first 2 Magic sets), which just happened to total out to ten of them. Originally it was regarded as the Power 9 list, but Time Vault was later ruled to be just as awesome, thus you have the Power 10/P10 set.

To be honest, when I first saw the author and title, I thought it would be images of Jeebus wielding a He-Man Power Sword.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I figured if people thought it was He-Man, more would open it. So yeah, the power 10 (originally power 9, then Time Vault was added, then Time Vault was banned and quickly removed so everyone forgot except me) are 10 of the most powerful cards in the game. Technically Time Vault not being part of it makes sense, because in the format where these are legal, EVERY deck uses all 9 of them (With the possible exception of Time Twister at this point).

As for the signatures, the Black Lotus is signed by artist Christopher Rush, and the Time Vault is signed by artist Mark Tedin.

And how did I get a Lotus? Getting them was actually really easy, considering I did it in two months. I just did a LOT of trading until I was able to find people willing to give these up. Four of them are from the same person (A dealer friend of mine who I get to do dealer trades with, what with me also being a dealer and all). Oh, and that's actually the second Lotus I've owned, SH. (Also the second Ancestral Recall, Mox Sapphire, Mox Emerald, and the third Time Vault and Mox Ruby.)

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it was originally Power 10, then it became Power 9 after Time Vault was given bans and/or erratas, then became Power 10 again.

I mean, we started playing during Revised and at that point it was Power 10. And up until around Legends, MTG was a total clusterfuck. I seriously doubt anyone playing MTG in 1994 had any real sense of strategy, let alone the wherewithal to come up with the phrase "Power 9".
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

It was originally the power 9, coined by either Scrye or The Duelist. It then became the power 10 as people on usenet tried adding both Library of Alexandria and Time Vault. I think technically Library was added first, though they happened within like 3 months of each other. Unfortunately, neither card REALLY meets the necessary criteria: Library wasn't from Alpha, and Time Vault doesn't go in every single deck.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Time Twister is shit by today's standards. I'd say Wheel Of Fortune is better.

You're on the play. You drop 2 moxes, a land, and then Time Twister. You refill your hand and there's no significant effect on your opponent. Same scenario, only replace Twister with Wheel of Fortune. You refill your hand and mill your opponent for 7. Time Twister, by itself, is always worse than Wheel of Fortune because it gives your opponent a full hand and a full library. Wheel of Fortune, when played correctly, refills your hand and forces your opponent to discard 7 cards for 7 new ones. Also, Wheel of Fortune combos with Megrim.

Also, I thought they were supposed to be the X Most Powerful Cards In The Game, not X Cards That Belong In Every Deck. After all, they were called The Power X, not the Must-Have X.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wheel of Fortune is never better in Vintage. Vintage decks run a LOT of one-ofs, what with the cards all being restricted and all. Turn one Black Lotus sac for Ancestral, Time Walk, drop a land. Next turn drop a couple moxes, another land, and Time Twister. Now you can get your Ancestral, Time Walk, and Lotus back. You can also do something more efficient.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 01:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

If that's all you've done on your first turn(s), your Vintage deck sucks. You should have won already.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 01:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Timetwister's big advantage is you're getting the stuff you already used back. Wheel lets you draw 7, but if what you want is already in the yard, who cares?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

If your deck is dependent on a one-of to win, you're in trouble. Especially since Time Twister is also a one-of, and likely your only recursion.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of decks are dependent on Time Vault to win, and you can only have one of those. Also, if your vintage deck is running Megrim then you suck, so who the fuck cares that Wheel works with that? Nice consistency in your argument.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 02:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blah blah blah my name is Dr. Jeebus and I'm better than you blah blah blah...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 03:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Blah blah blah my name is Dr. Jeebus and I'm better than you blah blah blah...

Look, I'm excited. There IS someone on these boards with both a set of Alpha power and a set of Beta power, so it's not like I have the most impressive Magic collection here.

UsaSatsui wrote:

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 05:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
"Power 10" is a nickname in Magic for the strongest/brokenest cards from Alpha and Beta (the first 2 Magic sets), which just happened to total out to ten of them. Originally it was regarded as the Power 9 list, but Time Vault was later ruled to be just as awesome, thus you have the Power 10/P10 set.

Ah, alright. I'll keep that in mind if start playing someday.
Also, congratulations Jeebus.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 07:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

God, this topic makes my balls shrivel.

How did you get all 10 cards for $0?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 09:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:

It's sort of a lie. He didn't spend any money DIRECTLY on the Power 10, but he did trade cards for them. And many of those cards cost him money (either as singles or packs) at one point.

Also, he works at a card store so he gets singles and packs at cost. For example, if his store gives a guy $12 cash for a Koth of the Hammer, he gets the option to buy it at $12. Then, he'll trade it to someone at market value, which is currently around $30. As a result, I try to avoid trading with him at all costs. It's hard to trade for stuff at market value when you know it was obtained at far less than market value.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
lordsathien wrote:
To be honest, when I first saw the author and title, I thought it would be images of Jeebus wielding a He-Man Power Sword.

Yeah, I figured if people thought it was He-Man, more would open it.

Good job Jeebus! You tricked me into browsing a thread about a topic that I have no interest in.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Pandajuice wrote:

It's sort of a lie. He didn't spend any money DIRECTLY on the Power 10, but he did trade cards for them. And many of those cards cost him money (either as singles or packs) at one point.

Also, he works at a card store so he gets singles and packs at cost. For example, if his store gives a guy $12 cash for a Koth of the Hammer, he gets the option to buy it at $12. Then, he'll trade it to someone at market value, which is currently around $30. As a result, I try to avoid trading with him at all costs. It's hard to trade for stuff at market value when you know it was obtained at far less than market value.

If that's the case, I will never trade for a card that you pull from a booster pack, cause you only paid $3.30 for that pack and expect me to give you market value for the card. And those dual lands of yours I want to trade for? You probably paid like $8 for those, but you want me to give you $30 each? Fuck you.

#edit: Also, I only use my discount to buy singles that I actually want. I don't just buy every good card we get so I can trade them away; the store needs to make money for me to have a job, so that would make me retarded.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Uh, I'm wicked jealous? Duh.

And you realize that if you gave me $3.30 per booster rare, I could probably find a way to turn that in my advantage. But first, I need to subliminally convince you that you want Niall Silvan. So many fucking Niall Silvans.
Milhouse
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
(Also the second Ancestral Recall, Mox Sapphire, Mox Emerald, and the third Time Vault and Mox Ruby.)

What was that last thing? Max & Ruby?

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
There IS someone on these boards with both a set of Alpha power and a set of Beta power, so it's not like I have the most impressive Magic collection here.
Yeah, I'm not impressed by him either, whoever he is. Hey guy with Alpha Beta power, fuck you!

And yeah I was going to say what Syd said pretty much about how you spent tons on the packs you then traded cards from for these cards and that you have an unfair advantage from working at a comic shop.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: