[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Hunger Games

Reply to topic
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Sep 28 2010 09:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Hunger Games website wrote:

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

I got the first in the series a couple weeks ago and I got the second yesterday,

The first one has an amazing plot, coupled together with suspenseful moments, and an abstract writing style.
The abstractness is that she writes it in first person AND present tense.

really good and I recommend it to you SydLexians
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 28 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker wrote:

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

I got the first in the series a couple weeks ago and I got the second yesterday,

The first one has an amazing plot, coupled together with suspenseful moments, and an abstract writing style.

Is this a book? A comic?

Are the 24 people attacking each other?

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Sep 28 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

You had me hooked until the whole 'first person perspective' thing. It's the biggest turn-off to me when I crack open a book or something and see it.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 28 2010 07:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's a series of books that's also had a rather nice tie-in board game attached to the license as well.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

monachetti
PostPosted: Sep 28 2010 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i loved this series. i also recommend. the third book holds some pretty good surprises.

Print is dead.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Sep 28 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Hacker wrote:

Is this a book? A comic?

Are the 24 people attacking each other?

Book and yes the twenty four people are

America has been split up into 13 districts. 12 must send "tributes" the center capitol holds the arena for them to battle

aeonic wrote:
You had me hooked until the whole 'first person perspective' thing. It's the biggest turn-off to me when I crack open a book or something and see it.

It isn't so much first person, as it is being written in a real time type situation
SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: Sep 28 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was ok, i didnt really like it, reminded me of lord of the flies

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Sep 29 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Girl at the library at my work recommended it, so my opinion and synopsis and crap.

Basically, its a stock dystopia, complete with vast class divide and iron fisted dictatorship. To ensure loyalty, the 12 specialized districts each have to send a boy and a girl of I think about 8-18 sorta range to fight to the death in a yearly deathmatch.

Main character Katniss is a 15-16 year old girl from the coalmining district that ends up in the hunger games. Fortunately she's a practiced hunter, and theres three books so sorry for the spoilers but she probably survives the first two.

My review in a nutshell is the first part drags if you've ever read 1984 or brave new world or just been exposed to the long established genre of crappy future governments. The book only actually starts to get good when they get to the actual hunger games, where the author moves at a driving clip, describing the conflicts and trials with clarity and making them compelling. Katniss is a good main character, she's competent but no so that it rings false or kills drama, she's rational in every situation that you would expect a person to be rational, and she's a female character that both seems female while maintaining the ability to drive the story forward and not get eaten by the love triangle. In the Twilight youth reading market this deserves more than a little fanfare.

Catching fire is even better, but I havent read Mockingjay yet.

Reply to topic

Jump to: