[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Ultraviolet

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 04 2006 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, let me state that for the record that I have no intention of seeing this movie. I like Milla Jovovich, but this movies doesn't look like much more than Aeon Flux Lite.

Secondly, the trailer bugs the hell out of me. In every cut of the trailer, there's a random shot of her ass changing colors. What the hell is the point of that? IS there any point, other than to motivate teenage boys to go see the movie? Since it's PG-13, my guess is no.

I think I'm also going to pass on V For Vendetta. I don't like V's mask at all. If he was just a guy dressed as a musketeer fighting against a futuristic totalitarian society, that would be fairly cool. But the mask is ugly and creepy. He looks more like Michael Myers from Halloween than a hero. Secondly, bald Natalie Portman. I like Natalie Portman, but I don't like her enough that I want to see her without hair. Plus it just feels like one too many anti-government movies. But hey, I bet mcdusher will love it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Mar 04 2006 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Ultra is from that Equilibrium guy, so hope thinks go well for him.

I'm looking forward to V, because this year sucks so far for action movies. I'm going to see 16 Blocks tonight in hopes of finding one. If not, I know the Wachowski writers won't let me down.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 04 2006 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Let me know how 16 Blocks is, I've been debating seeing it. I saw Firewall and that was OK. A little over the top, but still entertaining. My one big complaint was that it lacked a proper resolution. On the plus side, it has Chloe (Mary Lynn Rajskub) from 24.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Mar 05 2006 02:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Let me know how 16 Blocks is.

Even though it's pretty depressing and unbelievable, I had great fun with "16 Blocks". It's the kind of movie where two enemies talk their problems through instead of opting out for violence. I kinda liked the lessons in friendship we all learned after watching it. Action beats also come in at just the right moments. I would recommend rental or on tv viewing for it though. Unless the theater is pretty cheap.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 06 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since you brought up that Ultraviolet is from the Equilibrium guy, I have to admit that this knowledge doesn't surprise me, and now I dont' hope it does well. I like Christian Bale, but Equilibrium bugged the Hell out of me. To me it was Matrix Lite meets Farenheit 451. It was far from original, and I hated the explaination of how Bale was able to do Matrix shit in real time.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Mar 06 2006 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, for the first couple of seconds in the trailer, I thought Ultraviolet was the trailer for Resident Evil 3 LOL.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Mar 08 2006 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw this the night after I saw "Night Watch" (yeah, I go to the movies way, way too frequently). It was.. meh. I'm one of the few people on the planet who genuinely liked "Equilibrium" (Christian Bale rocks and the energy level was amped up enough that I was able to look past the Matrix/F451 mashup elements alluded to earlier.. plus I just kinda hate all things Matrix anyway, so whatever).

But yeah, this was so-so at best. At first, it started to play out like a 90-minute single-action-sequence type of deal (which probably would've been preferable), but then they interjected some "plot" moments and the truly atrocious acting (by everyone except Cameron Bright, the kid) really pulled me out of the film. Milla's lines were all basically some synonym for "I'm going to kill everyone" and "I'm a fucking tough bitch". The color-change thing seemed to be almost entirely for effect only and the guy playing the evil dictatorish dude was completely idiotic. The nose-filter didn't help matters.

The action was generally pretty fun to watch, albeit totally bloodless. We saw something like 2000 people die onscreen, and there was almost no blood whatsoever. Milla, if nothing else, can fight with the best of them.

Anyway, it's a rental and, judging by how poorly it's doing box-office wise, you won't have to wait long to Netflix it anyway.
Reply to topic

Jump to: