[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Pathfinder (3.5 D&D LIVES!)

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who are not impressed by 4th edition, and loved 3.5, here's awesome news.

Pathfinder RPG ( http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG )

Since, D&D 3.5 had the OGL (Open Game Lincense), Piazo have taken up the mantle of continuing 3.5 D20 rules. Their books are pretty much D&D 3.75 if you will. They made some changes, but for the most part, they work for the best.

Such As:

*** RACES:

Favored Classes:
The favored class mechanic has changed, doing away with experience penalty. Now every race has one favored class(two if they're a half-elf) that they get to designate as their favored class. Any time the player takes a level in the favored class they gain 1 more skill piont than normal, or 1 more HP than normal. Prestige classes cannot be designated as favored, and the choice cannot be changed later.

Dwarves
Dwaves have gained +2 WIS in addition to the stat modifiers they had in 3.5
Dwarves stability is now a +4 to their CMD while being bullrushed or tripped(this change was made to work with CMD/CMB, and isn't really a change to dwarves so much as a change to the mechanic).
Rather than just dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgoshes being treated as martial as in 3.5, PF dwarves consider all weapons with the word 'dwarven' in it's name to be martial, and in addition they are automatically proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers
Dwarves no longer get any bonuses to crafting.

Elves
Elves have gained +2 INT in addition to the stat modifiers they had in 3.5
Elves bonuses to search, listen, and spot has been transferred to a bonus to perception(which includes those 3 skills)
PF Elves gain a +2 bonus to Caster Level to overcome spell resistance
PF Elves gain a +2 bonus to spellcraft checks made to identify magic items
In addition to gaining proficiency with longbows, composite longbows, shortbows, composite shortbows, longsword, and rapier, PF elves are also treat all weapons with 'elven' in the name as martial weapons.
PF Elves do not automatically make search checks to find hidden doors when within 5 feet.

Gnome
Gnomes have gained +2 CHA in addition to the stat modifiers they had in 3.5
The size bonus now grants a -1 to CMB(to make it work with CMD/CMB) and a +4 on stealth(which includes hide and move silently).
Gnome racial attack bonuses now apply to any creature of the reptilian or goblinoid subtype
Gnomes now have a +2 bonus to perception(which includes listen, spot, and search)
Instead of a +2 Craft(Alchemy) gnomes get a +2 racial bonus to the craft or profession of their choice
Any weapon with the word 'Gnome' in it is considered as a martial weapon

Half-Elves
Half-Elves get +2 to the stat of their choice
Half-Elves get skill focus as a free bonus feat to the skill of their choice
Half-Elves get +2 to perception instead of +1 to listen, spot, and search(which are all included in perception)
Half-Elves get to choose two favored classes
Half-Elves no longer get +2 to diplomacy or gather information

Half-Orc
Instead of +2 STR/-2 INT/ -2 CHA Half-Orcs now get +2 to one stat of their choosing
+2 to intimidate
Once per day a Half-Orc taken below 0 HP can fight for one more round as if disabled.
Automatically proficient with greataxes and falchions, and any weapon with the word 'Orc' in it's name is considered martial.

Halfling
Halflings have gained +2 CHA in addition to the stat modifiers they had in 3.5
The size bonus now grants a -1 to CMB(to make it work with CMD/CMB) and a +4 on stealth(which includes hide and move silently).
+2 bonus to perception checks
+2 bonus to acrobatics(what would have been jump/tumble in 3.5)
Automatic proficiency with slings and treat any weapons with 'hafling' in the name as martial
Halflings no longer gain a racial bonus to stealth(move silently)
Hafllings no longer have a +1 to hit with slings or thrown weapons

Human
Humans get +2 to the stat of their choice
Humans only get 1 extra skill point at first level(which is more a modification of the way the system works than anything specific to humans).

*** MISC CHANGES:

Skills
You no longer gain four times the normal skill points at first level.
Instead, every skill that is a class skill and has at least one point in it gets a +3 bonus to it. There is no penalty for cross class skills anymore, just the benefit that is gained by putting one rank into a class skill.

Feats
Each player gains a feat at every odd level, instead of every 3 levels.

CMD/CMB
Combat Maneuver Defense and Combat Maneuver Bonus
The mechanics behind grapple/trip/bull rush/etc. have all been replaced by this system.

Every character/NPC/monster has a CMD(which is effectively their 'AC' against Combat Maneuvers. Sometimes a creatures CMD can be higher against certain maneuvers(like dwarves having a +4 against tripping and bull rushing).

Every character also has a CMB associated with each different maneuver(each one is affected by different feats).

When one person wants to use a combat maneuver against another person they must roll 1d20 plus their CMB for the associated maneuver, and if they get equal to or over their opponents CMD then the maneuver succeeds.

There are also a lot of changes to the classes that gives mor abilities and rewards for sticking with one class. Most classes have a 20th level, "ultimate" ability that you gain if you are 20th level single class.

I ran my first Pathfinder session last weekend, and our group was very impressed by it. I highly recommend it to any 3rd Edtion D&D fan. The nice thing is you can buy either the Hardbacks for about the same price as D&D books, or you can get the PDF versions, which are only like $10.

One thing that rocks is the Core Rulebook. It's $50, but it's 576 pages long as it contains both the full info from the Player's Handbook and the DM's Guide! So, one book is all you really need.

Finally, if you want to check the rules and such for free, Pathfinder even has its own D20 SRD now:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pathfinder, from everything that I've seen (the roomie and I both have the core book) is a pretty solid replacement for 3.5 and a lot more in keeping with my ideation of D&D than World of 4craft/4E. They also have a pretty good series of adventure modules and their own campaign world that's nicely fleshed out. I've been using it since the playtesting came out.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 05:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn...those rules would have done a world of good for my half-elven Ranger. My CA score is shit (believe me, I'm not the party negotiator) so the extra boost to gather info and diplomacy is pretty wasted on me. I'd much rather have the free skill focus and bonus feat.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rangers also get some sweet new abilities, like one that allows them to automatically confirm a critical against their favored enemies, as well as favored environment (city, forest, desert, etc) bonuses. They've really done a lot for all the classes by giving them little perks here and there.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 05:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hearing "auto-confirm crit" just made me drool <3.

I like the favored environment idea too, that's really neat and makes perfect sense for a ranger. They're experts at dealing with their environment and nature, after all, and it makes sense (at least from a role-playing standpoint) that they would be a little better at functioning in whatever environment they spent the most time in/grew up in. (A forest in my character's case, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of a desert-expert ranger. That could be seriously fun.)

militarysignatures.com

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My wife plays an urban-style ranger and when they're in a city or underground, she's an absolute beast. I would definitely recommend at least getting the rules from the site if not buying the actual book.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ That's actually the other interesting possibility I was thinking about: an urban ranger. In terms of actual roleplaying, how does she balance a ranger's nature-oriented...nature, I guess, with the urban expertise?

militarysignatures.com

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 05:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'd think that Pathfinder is similar enough to 3.5 that, DM permitting, you could easily swap her normal ranger spells out for the urban ranger ones from Unearthed Arcana, and the skills too, and just keep the special perks for the class or see if you can negotiate some others.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 06:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to look up the differences between 3.5 and 4e... I like the transparency of 4e stats, and combats, but 3.5's level of RP room sounds appealing.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 06:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's a huge gulf of differences. Many new players seem to find 3.5 a little more complex, but I feel the converse is true. try here http://shadowsystems.laurencemartin.org/ if you need the 3.5 stuff

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do you guys play online using skype, or just in inner real life circles? I'm not asking to join just curious.

Browsing the website now... (I'd probable be a half-orc or a human)

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tabletop or online play by post is how I play.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For online play, I'd like to get some cool video software, or at least Skype for audio communication.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I posted about Pathfinder a loooong time ago. Like the barbarian basically using rage for different abilities like it was MP. I think it's a good idea, one thing I love is they subsumed Concentration into Spellcraft, thus freeing up the need for a decent Con modifier for a skill.

One other idea, which I'm not sure Fernin would allow (or you even feel warranted), is for a ranger to make their bonuses defensive in nature (instead of damage bonus it boosts AC, and some other reactive skills get bonuses instead) or instead of against a creature type/subtype is to take it applied to an organization. That one's not from Pathfinder, just something I figured I'd mention.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 08:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, I dont even know what that all means... I haven't played since AD&D.. I feel old.

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

aeonic
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 09:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I started with 1st ed. It's really not that different except that in 3.5/Pathfinder, the numbers seem sensible, rather than having negative ACs and all stats terminating at 25. We had to use what we were given back then, though, so don't feel bad.

Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: Aug 20 2010 04:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Do you guys play online using skype, or just in inner real life circles? I'm not asking to join just curious.

Nah, actually. Syd gave us super-secret mind powers. We just telepathically beam images of everything we need to each other.

But in all seriousness, Pathfinder really is a lot of fun. I've DMed it for the whole summer, and the rules are solid, yet leave you room to play around. The adventure settings Paizo provides are fun, too. I'm currently running Kingmaker, which eventually allows players to build and manage an entire kingdom. It looks like fun stuff.
Reply to topic

Jump to: