SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Article 111 Syd Can Beat Ducktales so he doesn't exist.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

OH MY FUCKING GOD! THAT IS MY FAVORITE ARTICLE EVER! THAT WAS SO FUCKING HILARIOUS.

SPAMMING ARTICLE LINK ACROSS THE WEB!

I'm still laughing. Oh my god that was so god damn bunny raping fantastic. Post comments.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 01:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 01:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

My two replies:

I also got more money than you.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 09:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I didn't farm Gyro at all in my run.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 09:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?

Ignorance is bliss.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

I said this on Sunday, but this is the stupidest piece of shit you've ever written. And to respond to username in the other thread, nothing Syd said is a paradox. It's nothing but a series of retarded, logical fallacies. I could easily debunk everything you said, but instead I'll just tell you to go fuck yourself.

#Note: Syd knew ahead of time that I would hate this article, so this reaction is no surprise to him.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
I said this on Sunday, but this is the stupidest piece of shit you've ever written. And to respond to username in the other thread, nothing Syd said is a paradox. It's nothing but a series of retarded, logical fallacies. I could easily debunk everything you said, but instead I'll just tell you to go fuck yourself.

#Note: Syd knew ahead of time that I would hate this article, so this reaction is no surprise to him.

paradox... logical fallacy... whatev. i always thought they were a waste of time and dont really open up much for philosophical debate imo.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

paradox... logical fallacy... whatev. i always thought they were a waste of time and dont really open up much for philosophical debate imo.

Well they're being presented as paradoxes in the article, but it's nothing but LIES.

UsaSatsui wrote:

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:

Jeebus, are you concerned that someone would believe what Syd wrote and worship him? Or are you afraid that we might actually be part of the Matrix and waking up could anger our robot overloards? The article seemed to be in good fun, why the extreme amount of hate?

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

Jeebus, are you concerned that someone would believe what Syd wrote and worship him? Or are you afraid that we might actually be part of the Matrix and waking up could anger our robot overloards? The article seemed to be in good fun, why the extreme amount of hate?

Obviously it's in good fun, I just get annoyed when people base things on ridiculously flawed logic, especially when they know what they're saying is wrong. Like I said though, my reaction isn't a surprise. Syd told me I would hate the idea for the article before he told me what the article was, and I kept interrupting him while he was telling me the idea to explain why all the stuff was wrong. Just figured I'd voice what he already knew, to reiterate how much I hate stuff like this.
It's also worth noting that I HATE the second and third Matrix movies where they started introducing this sort of bullshit "philosophy".

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's true. I don't begrudge him for not liking it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I do, however, begrudge you for writing it.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh snap!
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am about to take a critical thinking course and this is the least helpful thing I've ever read in that regard.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it is helpful, in that you'll learn about all sorts of fallacies and bad arguments. Parting of knowing how to make a good argument is knowing how to recognize a bad argument. And also, knowing bad arguments is helpful. They help you manipulate stupid people. And drunk girls.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 02:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Well, it is helpful, in that you'll learn about all sorts of fallacies and bad arguments. Parting of knowing how to make a good argument is knowing how to recognize a bad argument. And also, knowing bad arguments is helpful. They help you manipulate stupid people. And drunk girls.

This. I adored the article for exactly that reason. Well that, and its funny as all hell. I love the S/NES lists, and the AYAOtD, but in terms of pure comedy, I think this is my new favorite article.

EDIT: I just took a better look at all of the screen shots...the ones for "you cannot complete a single level" just completely cracked me up again. Laughing

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I loved this article.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 03:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I consider it to be part of an ongoing series of articles on video games and life that currently includes A Link To Love, Pac-Nihilism, and Make Love The Contra Way.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And Conversational Etiquette from Law of the West.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 11 2010 09:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, I was just wondering when there would be another game review.

Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I consider it to be part of an ongoing series of articles on video games and life that currently includes A Link To Love, Pac-Nihilism, and Make Love The Contra Way.

speaking of the contra article, I printed it off at school and forgot to grab it out of the library printer. The librarian got It and thought it was hilarious then passed it around. so for about 2 weeks all of the teachers were making jokes about it. All of the teachers are pretty sure a student wrote it.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
There are five levels to choose from in DuckTales, but it doesn't matter which one you pick; you won't complete a single one. Assume for a minute that each level in DuckTales has an ending point, because it does. Before you can make it to that point, you must make it halfway there. However, before you can make it halfway to the end point, you must move half of that distance, which is a quarter of the total distance. And before you can advance a quarter of the way there, you must first move an eighth of the total distance. There is no distance that cannot be divided in half: one-sixteenth, one-thirty-second, one-sixty-fourth, and so on, ad infinitum. Since you must move an unlimited number of distances to reach the end point of any given level, you will never actually reach the end point. Perhaps, if you had infinite time, you might eventually reach the end point. Sadly, you don't; the timer is very finite, and it will run out long before you reach your goal.

To be technical this argument doesn't apply to a video game, since in video games you warp, meaning eventually you can't take half of that amount. For example imagine a picture is 32 pixels long, then you can only go half so many times, namely until you get to 1. then you can't go half of that... because the minimum you can move is a pixel.

However in continuous motion, then you can keep taking half indefinitely. This argument is used that continuous motion is actually impossible, and that in reality everyone warps. The argument would go something like this. Imagine you're trying to go across a football field, but you only move in halves.. for the first time you'll walk to the 50 yard line, the second time you'll move half of the remaining distance.... to the 75 yard lines... the 3rd time you'll move half of that remaining distance to the 82.5 yard position, and the fourth time you'll move half of that remaining distance... will you ever reach the end? If you contend no.

Then the next part of the argument goes like this, In order to make it to the 50 yard line. We have to first travel half of that to the 25 yard line.. then we have to travel half the remaining distance to the 37.5 position... then the next time we travel half of that remaining distance. So it becomes clear that just by moving in half way each time, we can't reach the 50 yard line either. By a similar argument we can't make it the 25 yard line, then by induction we realize to reach any point we have to move by halves. Therefore continuous motion is impossible, and people must warp (and in this sense reality is an illusion). This is called Zeno's paradox.

Another way to simply word the paradox. Is... For every half way point you reach there is another after it, can you go through them all then, to get to the end?

Or is it possible to run an infinite number of races? For every race you run there is one more, can you run them all? If you're answer is no, then continuous motion is impossible.

Or we can ask the question this way, can you pass an infinite number of points?

While one may draw that the world is not as it seems, and that people are actually warping as opposed to moving, one should not draw the conclusion that it would take infinite amount of time to move. Even if you are passing through an infinite number of segments each segment can take less time to pass, and thus the total travel time is finite. Imagine 1 second + .1 Second + .01second + etc... an infinite number of times, we are adding an infinite number of different times, but surely this sum is less than 2 seconds 1.111111 repeating seconds is less than 2 seconds.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Arlock41
Title: Naunie
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

My brain hurts from reading that post.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

A vote for the IRC Revolution is a vote against JonSnow.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 03:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
A vote for the IRC Revolution is a vote against JonSnow.

Sold me.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: