[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Most overrated games ever

Reply to topic
SteelBallRun
Title: Kenka Bancho
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
No it's not. I played Pokemon Red and it was fun. Once I realized they were gonna remake the same game over and over again I was done with it. Also, I'm an adult now.

Video games are traditionally considered kid's toys regardless of what game you're playing. Having flaming apes and electric mice do battle is every bit as childish as killing pretend soldiers in a mock war environment or having two men stacked with mountains of muscle toss windex blue fireballs at each other.

I agree on the some of the redo aspects. I would appreciate more variation in the gameplay, but oh well, what's not considered broken ain't gonna get fixed.
slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 05:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chile Guy wrote:
As much as I like the series, I have to admit that the Final Fantasy games are pretty much this.
ESPECIALLY VI and VII. These are awesome but are not the second coming of Jesus.

I thought the first coming of Jesus was fairly overrated.
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 06:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

It was ahead of its time to be sure, but calling it overrated is just asking for it.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Medisinn
Title: King Awesome
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ocarina of Time was fun as shit, but certainly not the greatest game ever. It had more of a story than the older Zelda games, but started rehashing the now very stock formula that the series uses - Start out with some small dungeon/training area, get some story, clear 3 dungeons, more story and some sort of environment/character change, then seven more dungeons, and the last dungeon that axiomatically has Ganon in it. Fun games, but the formula feels stale, and even the majority of the items in OoT were the same as Link to the Past. Well, maybe half or so. Maybe the best N64 game of all time, but not the best game of all time.

Metal Gear Solid. I've played all the way through 2, and most of the way through the GBC one, but nothing else, so my right to bitch is limited. Fairly good action, great story, but overrated, perhaps because of the idealistic nature of the series/storyline and people making it out to be better than anything else, kind of like with certain movies.

I have to agree with Halo. It was fun at the time, but the level designs were annoying and in some cases repetitive(one of the later underground levels is RIDICULOUS about this, it just repeats itself several times). It was solid at the time for sure, but it didn't revolutionize console FPS gameplay like Goldeneye did, it just brought it to the next-gen/next level.

Final Fantasy VII is probably overrated. I absolutely love the game and have fond memories of it as a kid, but no game can really live up to the fanboy hype it has generated, and having a whole "universe" based on it, with Advent Children, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and whatever else they end up coming up. It's an amazing Final Fantasy game, like 3/6, should have been left at that.

I also agree with Bioshock being overrated. At the time I thought it was awesome...playing it only two years later though, it really didn't hold up. Some of the enemies would just appear behind you and hit you when you had no clue, which is cheap bullshit, kind of like Doom 3. The story is great(as far as I had gotten into it, anyway), but it does start to get somewhat tedious. Not revolutionary, but merely another solid FPS on 360/PC/PS3.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
Chile Guy wrote:
As much as I like the series, I have to admit that the Final Fantasy games are pretty much this.
ESPECIALLY VI and VII. These are awesome but are not the second coming of Jesus.

BURN

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 05:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
Chile Guy wrote:

That's funny!

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 05:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rock band/guitar hero. congratulations. you have parappa the rapper with expensive peripherals

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 05:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
Andrew Man wrote:
InvaderDim wrote:
Ok, I can not grasp in my reality why everyone not only seems to love but want to make love to Pokemon. I have never had any intrest in playing more than a couple minutes of that garbage

Once you get pulled in though, it's impossible to get out.

No it's not. I played Pokemon Red and it was fun. Once I realized they were gonna remake the same game over and over again I was done with it. Also, I'm an adult now.

Yea, that was me. I played Red way back when but just recently picked the series back up. The gameplay is still very entertaining. And like others have said, the formula is indeed repetitive but it works and still holds up.

Also, yea, I am an adult playing Pokemon and I don't give a fuck.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

JRA
PostPosted: Jul 08 2010 06:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
It irritates me that Wii Sports is the best-selling game ever, but I'm proud that Nintendo holds that honor.

A bittersweet victory.

Didn't Super Mario Bros. 3 used to be the best-selling game ever?

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 02:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
slapolakinkaido wrote:
Chile Guy wrote:

BURN

Calm down Christians, I kid.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: Mar 16 2014 04:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, wow. My first thread on SydLexia. Good times, good times. Here's my current opinion on each of those games I called overrated:

Halo- I love Halo now, so I disagree with my old self. Way better than COD. Halo 4 was bullshit though, because multiplayer was online only.
Madden- I still hate Madden, but then again, I'm not a big fan of real football, so it's not fair to call Madden overrated.
Guitar Hero/Rock Band- I love them now, especially GH5. Rocksmith is my favorite Rythm Game though. It's strange to see that a genre that was once a juggernaut is now pretty much dead.
Call Of Duty- I like COD, but it is overrated. I do love MW1, MW2, World At War, and Black Ops though.
Resistance- I think I only played the first one, like once. I don't see how I could call it overrated based it off of one session, but I did. I don't even remember how good or bad it was.
The Sims- I haven't played this in a long time, but when I did, I had a blast. And that was before this thread, so I don't know why I called it overrated. Probably to look cool.

As you can see, I've warmed up to the FPS genre over the years. It's still not anywhere near my favorite, and I think there are too many of them, but I generally like them a lot more now than I did then. I also like Rythm Games a lot more now than I did then. It's a shame, considering the genre's dead and I'm late to the party. I mean, I did enjoy both genres back then, but only kind of.

Here are two more additions to this list:

Assassin's Creed- I only played the first one, which a lot of people say is the worst, but it just bored the shit out of me. I don't know, I can't get into it for some reason.
Angry Birds- It's fun, but not worth the worldwide phenomenon status it has. Especially considering it's pretty much a more expensive ripoff of the FREE flash games, Crush The Castle and Castle Clout.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: Mar 16 2014 04:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, wow. My first thread on SydLexia. Good times, good times. Here's my current opinion on each of those games I called overrated:

Halo- I love Halo now, so I disagree with my old self. Way better than COD. Halo 4 was bullshit though, because multiplayer was online only.
Madden- I still hate Madden, but then again, I'm not a big fan of real football, so it's not fair to call Madden overrated.
Guitar Hero/Rock Band- I love them now, especially GH5. Rocksmith is my favorite Rythm Game though. It's strange to see that a genre that was once a juggernaut is now pretty much dead.
Call Of Duty- I like COD, but it is overrated. I do love MW1, MW2, World At War, and Black Ops though.
Resistance- I think I only played the first one, like once. I don't see how I could call it overrated based it off of one session, but I did. I don't even remember how good or bad it was.
The Sims- I haven't played this in a long time, but when I did, I loved it. And that was before this thread, so I don't know why I called it overrated. Probably to look cool.

As you can see, I've warmed up to the FPS genre over the years. It's still not anywhere near my favorite, and I think there are too many of them, but I generally like them a lot more now than I did then. I also like Rythm Games a lot more now than I did then. It's a shame, considering the genre's dead and I'm late to the party. I mean, I did enjoy both genres back then, but only kind of.

Here are two more additions to this list:

Assassin's Creed- I only played the first one, which a lot of people say is the worst, but it just bored the shit out of me. I don't know, I can't get into it for some reason.
Angry Birds- It's fun, but not worthy of the worldwide phenomenon status it has. Especially considering it's pretty much a more expensive ripoff of the FREE flash games, Crush The Castle and Castle Clout.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Mar 22 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I also agree with Bioshock being overrated. At the time I thought it was awesome...playing it only two years later though, it really didn't hold up. Some of the enemies would just appear behind you and hit you when you had no clue, which is cheap bullshit, kind of like Doom 3. The story is great(as far as I had gotten into it, anyway), but it does start to get somewhat tedious. Not revolutionary, but merely another solid FPS on 360/PC/PS3.

I think that Bioshock is dated, not overrated. It was genuinely a huge jump forward in game storytelling, and a great take on the medium. And at least at the time, the gameplay was pretty innovative. It just hasn't aged all that well.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Mar 24 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bioshock made my brain explode out of my face when I played it. No game I'd ever played had done something like what Bioshock was doing.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Mar 24 2014 04:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LordHuffnPuff wrote:
Bioshock made my brain explode out of my face when I played it. No game I'd ever played had done something like what Bioshock was doing.

I can only really think of one other game that threw me for a loop like Bioshock did. It was Bioshock: Infinite.

That Ken Levine sure knows how to write a video game.

That said, I still agree that it hasn't aged well. Playing it after having played some of the more enjoyable FPS games that have come out since have made it feel stiff and clunky. The enemy AI isn't that great, and there are times where the amount of action on screen seriously hurts the game's graphic and motion performance. But then again, FPS isn't a genre that ages well in general, so I think calling it overrated is a stretch, especially considering how fucking good it was when it came out.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Oct 20 2014 08:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I rented Bioshock: Infinite a couple of weeks ago because of its reputation and i have to say i didn't like the game.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that i haven't played any Bioshock game, but the story just plain confused me.
To me it just felt like: I'am a person (i don't know my name, how i look or anything about me) that comes to a lighthouse, weird shit happens inside BOOM you are in steampunk heaven. Then you shoot people for reasons that are also not clear.
I have to say the graphics and the presentation of the game is outstanding to some degree but then again are the people in the game expressionless robots with no mimic whatsoever.
But what really killed it for me were the combat mechanics. It just felt plain sloppy and sorta out of control fighting those hordes of policemen or whatever they are. It just came of as to hectic and unintuitiv. I felt just like: Ok, wave that gun around and shot everything that moves. And repeat. And repeat.

Maybe the story is so great that it redeems you for the bad controls, but honestly i don't care. I played 3-4 hours into it and had enough. I also have to say that i am generally picky when it comes to FPS games and i tend to dislike them easely.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: