SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Lifeguard Certification

Reply to topic
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 14 2010 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone here have a Lifeguard certification?

Where does one train and get certified? How much in general does it cost?

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 14 2010 02:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
From my experience, it's mind-numbingly boring work. You have to always be aware of what's going on...which 99% of the time is nothing at all.

I have no intention of ever becoming a lifeguard. I may need the cert eventually for legal purposes. 40 hours is quite a bit of time to invest. Is there an actual test I can prepare for and then just go and take that?

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 14 2010 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was a lifeguard for a few years. I received my certification through the Red Cross. If I remember I had to do about 40 hours of training to get certified. You obviously will have to get a First Aid/CPR card as well. A requirement for where I worked was also defibrillator training, though I don't think it was mandatory back then (it probably is now).

Each required training costs a separate fee. In total, mine was between $200-300 about 10 years ago. I did all my classes through the Red Cross.

Contact your local Red Cross...there may be other avenues to get a certification, but I don't know for sure.

From my experience, it's mind-numbingly boring work. You have to always be aware of what's going on...which 99% of the time is nothing at all. It's not for everyone.

EDIT: Sorry messages got out of whack. I deleted my original while you were responding to it, apparently.

GPFontaine wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:
From my experience, it's mind-numbingly boring work. You have to always be aware of what's going on...which 99% of the time is nothing at all.

I have no intention of ever becoming a lifeguard. I may need the cert eventually for legal purposes. 40 hours is quite a bit of time to invest. Is there an actual test I can prepare for and then just go and take that?

I don't believe so. Are you sure you don't just need CPR/Defib training? If so, that will take considerably less time because you won't have to take water safety courses. Those classes could probably be finished in one day, maybe two. They are hands-on so you can't just test out of them.

If, however, you need full lifeguarding certification, then yes...it's about 40 hours total.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 16 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPF, let me know if you find out differently.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 17 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah GP, I'm curious as to what job besides Lifeguard requires full lifeguard training.

I DO know a lot of jobs--including teaching--that require current CPR and First Aid certs though. I have to take tests for that every two years. It's a full day of classes, but like Klimb said, its FAR less intensive than Lifeguard training.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 17 2010 08:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Yeah GP, I'm curious as to what job besides Lifeguard requires full lifeguard training.

A person teaching a stunt class that includes water events. Even if the events aren't the primary portion of the class, if there are pool/ocean activities the students are liabilities, I am pretty sure a lifeguard would be necessary for insurance reasons. More importantly, the skills a lifeguard would know might actually need to be used.

Reply to topic

Jump to: