[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
So that I don't break anymore rules...

Reply to topic
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why was my topic "Article Idea - IQ Test for all the mods/frequent posters" locked? I don't want to break any rules that I may not be aware of.

Or is just because Dr. Jeebus disagrees with me on health care? I don't want to assume anything.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's all I'll say. Laughing

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wink

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jeebus took and passed the MENSA test. I imagine I'd pass it too if I wasn't too lazy to take it. I also imagine it's much harder than the online IQ tests, which is why he's passionately opposed to the idea. I don't really think the lock was necessary, but what's done is done.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I completely agree that online IQ tests are worthless, and even if they weren't, an article about it would be completely counter to the (main) sites mission and content. It was a bad idea for an article without question. (And I would have said as much. But...y'know.)

And to actually answer your question Klimb, Jeebus is actually a very good guy and an impartial, if occasionally overzealous (just in my own personal opinion, that is) mod. Yours isn't the first thread to be locked by him, I assure you, and I doubt he's singling you out. He just routinely locks threads that won't bear any further fruitful discussion to keep the amount of clutter and extraneous stuff on the site to a minimum. And thank God he does, because I've been to forums that don't have a strong mod presence, and they are not pretty.

And yet. This still amuses me. Smile

militarysignatures.com

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Jeebus took and passed the MENSA test. I imagine I'd pass it too if I wasn't too lazy to take it. I also imagine it's much harder than the online IQ tests, which is why he's passionately opposed to the idea. I don't really think the lock was necessary, but what's done is done.

That's all fine, but I'm not sure why he thought I was talking about him. It was not meant to be an attacking or negative post. I was just spitballing and put out a possible topic. In retrospect, the idea is kind of lame. I was just trying to think of a topic as inspired as defending the use of 'gay' as an adjective for something crappy, which, by the way, was a great article.

I truly did want to know if it was because I broke some rule or been offensive. I'm guessing it was purely to shut down a topic one guy didn't like. Hope this isn't normal around here.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If Online IQ tests were acurate, then my IQ changes by the day.

I've taken three over the years, online.

I've gotten 145, 125, and 150. So, apparently one day, I woke up and lost 20 points of IQ. I must have been watching Fox News the night before or something...
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 01:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I said IN THE THREAD that was locked why I was locking it. It wasn't in violation of the rules, but it was a stupid idea and didn't deserve discussion. However...
Basic Rules for the Syd Lexia forums wrote:
18. You are not the master of unlocking.
If a thread you started is locked or deleted, it is because the moderators felt that it was inappropriate. If you feel that the thread was unfairly locked, you may contact any or all of the moderators and plead your case. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD ASKING WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD ONE. Doing so will result in a mandatory three day ban from the forums. Repeat offenders will receive increasingly severe punishments up to and including banning.information from the private forums on the public forums. Doing so will very likely get you removed from the private forum, and may lead to discplinary action on the public forums.

And since you've said, multiple times now, that you don't know what rules you may have violated, here's an idea: READ THE FUCKING RULES. As I said, the original thread wasn't in violation of any rules, it just had no reason to exist. This thread, however, only exists as proof that you have not read the forum rules, and I highly recommend that you do so, particularly because, if Syd gets around to it, you've earned a 3 day ban.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
because, if Syd gets around to it, you've earned a 3 day ban.

Chill the hell out Jeebus.
He broke a tiny rule. and by the fact that Syd posted in here calmly explaining his view on it means he doesn't really care

And why should you be the one to talk about banning when you
a.)Aren't the owner of this forum
b.)are (or at one point were) evading your ban on the MTG forums

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker wrote:
Chill the hell out Jeebus.

Hack, I'm going to put this as nicely as possible, but...

The way to help Jeebus 'chill out'? Is not by being corrected by you. Clearly Klimb is not banned, he has had the rules explained to him and regrets his error, and he won't do it again. No harm, no foul, so let the subject die. Please.

militarysignatures.com

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 02:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is just hilarious.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I did break a rule, there's no getting around that. I appreciate not being banned, but would have understood it if I had. I did not intentionally break that rule...I had read the forum rules so long ago I had forgotten about that one. I reread all the rules and will comply with them the rest of the way.

I would rather have a mod who I might feel is a tad overzealous than one who just lets the forum go to shit, so I don't have a problem with Jeebus at all. I see this as a nonissue now. It's been resolved.

Do I sound properly neutered yet?

And how the hell did this get unlocked?

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 02:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The owner of the site felt it didn't need to be locked in the first place, most likely.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 06:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rick moranis showed up.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

jackfrost
Title: Cold Hearted Bastard
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

I took the MENSA test a few years ago and passed it, and I was also a member for for a couple years after that. I personally feel it was a waste of money. I really don't want to lessen the accomplishment, but I did not find the test that they administered all that hard. I actually found out after I took their test I could have used my SAT scores to gain admission.

PS - You know what, fuck it, I'm going to renew my membership. Maybe there is a SIG that is actually interesting at this point.

[img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/akajackfrost/megaman.jpg[/img]

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 25 2010 01:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

jackfrost wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

I took the MENSA test a few years ago and passed it, and I was also a member for for a couple years after that. I personally feel it was a waste of money. I really don't want to lessen the accomplishment, but I did not find the test that they administered all that hard. I actually found out after I took their test I could have used my SAT scores to gain admission.

PS - You know what, fuck it, I'm going to renew my membership. Maybe there is a SIG that is actually interesting at this point.

For the record, Syd was talking out of his ass and that has nothing to do with why the thread was locked. Also, if you can pass any of the tests to get into MENSA, of course you won't think they're hard. I thought the one I took was easy as well, but I also appreciated why it would be difficult for other people.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Mar 25 2010 08:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah? Well I wrote the MENSA test, so suck on that.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Mar 25 2010 09:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

As I said before GP got all literal on me, IQ means nothing.

All the learning capacity in the world doesn't mean shit if you don't do anything with it.
username
PostPosted: Mar 25 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
All the learning capacity in the world doesn't mean shit if you don't do anything with it.

exactly.

Klimbatize wrote:

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 25 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
As I said before GP got all literal on me, IQ means nothing.

exactly.

For the purposes of comparison I agree. Someone with an IQ of 90 vs someone with 130 doesn't really matter if they are both deadbeats playing video games and doing drugs all day.

Still, from another perspective that isn't comparing individuals, the capacity to learn is a marvel of the human condition. Just because it isn't used, doesn't make it meaningless. I often times wonder about the relationship between capability and happiness.

Without getting too detailed, I have an unique personal situation that I face every day. Two years ago I had neurological testing done to verify the diagnosis of ADD and OCD. The results came back as positive for both. By itself, the testing is meaningless, but in combination with years of therapy and multiple diagnosis, the similarity of results across the board makes it clear that these are fairly accurate assessments of my mental situation.

The interesting part about the test was the breakdown of components and the meaning behind each result. The two parts of the test that relate to our conversation here are the ability to learn and the ability to focus. My learning capacity is in the 98th percentile, yet my focus was in the mid 20s. As it was explained to me, when my OCD kicks in and I cannot release from a thought, my ability to learn skyrockets. Since it is intensely energy driven to be that way, I am most often guided by the ADD symptoms which cause me to have the same attention span as most first and second graders.

Through the miracle of modern science drugs have been made that can alter my focus. For a short period of time with the guidance of a Doctor I tested them out.

I learned a lot about myself during that time. I learned that when I have control over the focus, my mind is sharp and my cognitive capabilities are in top form. Unfortunately, my personality is significantly altered when my mind works that way. Perhaps it is because my social skills are based on having an attention problem. Without that issue, I gain an argumentative side driven by OCD with seemingly no ability to shut it off. I have never been so rude to my wife, family and friends as I was for the two months that I had mental clarity.

So I stopped taking the meds.

And thus am brought back to the same question. Is IQ meaningless if you don't use it?

On an interesting note, in a much more extreme example of my situation, but reversed, there was a House episode about a smart man who was doping himself to dull his senses in order to be happy and gain social capabilities.

jackfrost
PostPosted: Mar 26 2010 07:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Intelligence = Unhappiness to me. I tend to over analyze every decision I make, and sometime I wish I could turn off my brain. I have literally laid awake at night thinking what I was going to do the next day and worrying about things that I shouldn't be worrying about. Insomnia is a big problem for me.

I work with some mentally challenged people and they all seem happy. Isn't that the purpose of life, to be happy. I envy them more than the people I work with making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Happiness is more important than what you make. I'd rather be a broke happy person than a rich miserable person. I am neither.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 26 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jackfrost wrote:
Intelligence = Unhappiness to me. I tend to over analyze every decision I make, and sometime I wish I could turn off my brain. I have literally laid awake at night thinking what I was going to do the next day and worrying about things that I shouldn't be worrying about. Insomnia is a big problem for me.

I work with some mentally challenged people and they all seem happy. Isn't that the purpose of life, to be happy. I envy them more than the people I work with making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Happiness is more important than what you make. I'd rather be a broke happy person than a rich miserable person. I am neither.

Jack, do you remain awake even when physically tired or only on days where it may be late, but you didn't have much to do that day.

username
PostPosted: Mar 26 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ADD & OCD? thats nuts man.

Klimbatize wrote:

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Mar 27 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I have pretty above average intelligence, and I have the same problems. I'm a horrible insomniac, and I usually won't be able to sleep for hours due to me overthinking things, whether I'm tired or not. Every even remotely memorable situation that happened to me or might happen to me the next day, I'll run through in my mind over and over and over again, and even completely mundane things I'll stay awake analyzing. I've had a few things happen to me that have made me a bit of a dumbass like that, and I certainly don't think high intelligence is the only reason I'm so critical of everything, but I can't help thinking it adds to it.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

jackfrost
PostPosted: Mar 27 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
jackfrost wrote:

Jack, do you remain awake even when physically tired or only on days where it may be late, but you didn't have much to do that day.

I am not sure I understand the question. I love my job, but there are many nights I don't sleep though. That is my fault and not the job though.

That really doesn't answer your question. does it? I lay awake at night almost every night. I try to go to bed early, but when I do that my brain starts to worry about what I'm going to do the next day.

Reply to topic

Jump to: