"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Royal Rumble lottery

Reply to topic
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

No, this is not another silly contest, just an idea my dad used when he threw parties. The only WWF pay per view he ever ordered was the Royal Rumble, and he'd invite a bunch of people over, half of them who weren't even into wrestling. He used this to get those people into it.

What happened is, everyone throw in 5 bucks. That got you X numbers, where X was 30 divided by the number of people (if there were 10 people, which was typical, everyone got 3 numbers). You drew X numbers out of a hat from 1 to 30. Then, when the Rumble started, if the wrestler that came out on that number won the Rumble, you won the pool.

It gets the non-fans into it, because now they have someone to root for, even if it is a nobody like Virgil or Adam Bomb. And for the people in the know, it's more of a straight up lottery, but still, if you pick one of the 5 people who has a chance of winning it, you can get a bit excited.

It was good times, but got a bit tricky sometimes, particularly when someone no-showed on their number...and I remember a "situation" when one year, I had Bret Hart and my uncle had the British Bulldog...

Just passing it along for anyone ordering it this weekend.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 28 2010 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I did this a few times, I always ended up with people I didn't give a shit about. I think I got Batista one year and actually won. We also played with shots instead of money, so since there was only 4 of us usually, one of us would take a shot every time one of our guys was eliminated.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 31 2010 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw a commercial for the PPV for $44.99

FUCK THAT

How do they expect me to pay that, especially for an event that's not going to be 4 hours? Keep in mind that the sparse amount of wrestling friends that I do have are all spread out all over the place anymore, so it's not like 10 years ago where I could depend on a few other people to chip in.

Other reports are saying that *SPOILERS*..........the Royal Rumble winner is going to be Triple H. If this is the case, you can guarentee I won't bother with Wrestlemania at all. Fuck that noise.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Jan 31 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Edge just won it actually! I have to say that is great news and has me interested on Wrestlemania! But we'll see how everything else plays out first.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jan 31 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I watched it and I was very shocked.

Thing is...Edge SUCKS as a face (remember 2004?) but I'm hoping they don't fuck him over that badly.

The thing is...who is he going to face? Undertaker? Sheamus? Or someone like Jericho, Punk or Christian?

Btw...Punk was HILARIOUS during the Rumble...I wish he actually ends up with the belt by Mania time, because he's a helluva heel.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 03:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:

Thing is...Edge SUCKS as a face (remember 2004?) but I'm hoping they don't fuck him over that badly.

I disagree. He sucks as a Heel too.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 05:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

He has his moments as a heel, but he can't hold a candle to Jericho or Punk. If he truly is working face, I really hope they take a different approach, also I hope he stays healthy as opposed to how he was in 2004, not to mention how he looked a little slow in the ring tonight.

Although I would totally mark if WM26 ended like WM20 did, except with Edge and Christian.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Edge was awesome as a face when he first came into the WWE. When he didn't talk, came in from the crowd, won the match, and then left back through the crowd.

He never said a word and was undefeated for quite awhile. Then they f'd that up by putting him with Gangrel and Christian in the Brood.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wasn't he just ripping off Raven?

Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 04:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I still think the best incarnation of Edge was with Christian as teen bop surfer douchebags. Seriously, their work with Kurt Angle and Mick Foley during this time was absolutely awesome.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a bit hesitant to how he will be as a face too, but I have faith in him. He is great on the mic and he knows his way around the ring. I wouldn't be surprised though if he turned heel at some point before Wrestlemania since he is an absolutely great heel.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 05:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think he'll remain face until at least Summerslam. I mean he's come off being a heel for over 5 years straight, I think he's overdue for a small face run. I agree that he's a better heel, but I really do hope he gets a decent face run.

It's small things like this, that give me hope towards watching Wrestlemania, since I think Triple H might actually be out of the title match for once. Of course it's too soon to say, but it would be nice if the title scene had a different set of guys in it for once.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
I still think the best incarnation of Edge was with Christian as teen bop surfer douchebags. Seriously, their work with Kurt Angle and Mick Foley during this time reeked of awesomeness.

Fixed.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

seinfeld
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just confused as to what they want to do with him after winning the Rumble. I thought a better idea would have been for him to eliminate Jericho, then have Jericho come back in and eliminate him. Ya know? Setting up a Jericho/Edge feud that would lead us into Wrestlemania.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Feb 02 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think that's what we're going to most likely get. Elimination CHamber basically allows them to do whatever the fuck they want with the titles like they did last year. Hopefully with better results this year.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Feb 04 2010 04:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Edge sucks. Hopefully we somehow get Edge v Christian and Danielson vs. Regal in a submission match.

Reply to topic

Jump to: