[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Flair shit-talks the Hitman.

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 17 2009 08:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hogan had Hart buried in WCW. Coming off the screwjob, he could have been one of WCW's top faces. Instead, he joined the nWo.

They should have booked Hogan vs. Hart, because that match never happened in the WWF.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 17 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

What? I could've sworn it happened in 1993 or sometime around there.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Aug 17 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
What? I could've sworn it happened in 1993 or sometime around there.

The mega powers had the occasional run in with the hart foundation but no offical match.
But as for 93 you may be thinking of wrestlemania 9 where Hart faced Yokozuna for the title and lost only for hogan to face yokozuna right after and win title (in about 30 seconds.)
And at king of the ring yokozuna regained the title and that was hogans last ppv before going on to wcw.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 17 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My brother has just informed me that they faced off in WCW.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 17 2009 02:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 17 2009 03:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate getting to a topic late.

Quote:
Didn't Foley once call Flair "the worst booker ever"?

I don't know about "ever", but he did say in his book that Flair was a horrible booker. That's about the only thing negative he has to say about Flair, though.

As for the Hitman, three things:

1) Bret Hart is probably the best example of wasted potential I can think of. I mean, WCW was handed Hart with a hammer and the final nail for WWF's coffin, and they didn't use it.

2) Bret Hart is probably the most overrated wrestler ever. He was good. But not -that- good.

3) Bret screwed Bret.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 17 2009 04:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That match was on Nitro though. There was never a feud, never a Hogan vs. Hart PPV.

And that match was bullshit. There wasn't a finish! The finish was Luger and Sting come down to save Bret, but it's a trap. Hogan and Bret beat down Luger and Sting, Nitro ends. Oh, and Konnan was there too.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know this thread is old and everything, but I wasn't around to respond to it to begin with and...yeah.

First off, Flair is one of my absolute favorite wrestlers. Anything you got from him pre 2003 was great to see. He was a great antagonist and I loved his feuds with Hennig, Savage and even Hogan, even though they completely buried him as soon as he came to WWF in the early 90's. If you're going to bring in a high profile person like that, book them STRONG, like how Nash and Hall were originally booked when they got to WCW, like they were literally taking over. He was the embodiment of WCW over the years along with Sting. I enjoyed his return to WWE, but I honestly think he hung on way too long.

That said, Flair the man is a rotten piece of shit. He was easily one of the biggest hypocrites to ever to use his backstage power to get his way. It didn't work in later WCW, which is exactly why he hated being there. He'll bascially say anything to charm you up front then go behind your back and talk you down to management. The only people I've ever heard say good things about Flair are; Steamboat, Sting, Jericho, Triple H and Michaels, the latter 2 I'm sure the majority of good things said came from his return in late 2001. Flair might have the ticket sales only because he WRESTLED IN A DIFFERENT ERA. He wasn't always selling out all over the world by the early 90's because the WWF machine was kicking and put a lot of their competition out of business. The reason why guys like Flair worked, was a territory would use him for a few months then send him elsewhere, put over the hometown face and move on. When you had very few chances to see Ric Flair wrestle, you better get a ticket. Since WWF had national attention, PPVs and even television time everywhere, it's hard to argue why you would go out of your way to buy a ticket if you could see the same person wrestle 50 times a year on TV. Flair is absolutely right when it comes to "accomplishments". But that's like comparing movie ticket sales of the 30's and 40's to the ticket sales of today...it doesn't even come close even though movies are more mainstream nowadays.

Shawn Michaels is another favorite of mine, probably in the top 3. Since he was brough up in this thread, I thought I'd give my two cents. What you see out of Shawn nowadays is not what you would've gotten out of Shawn 15 years ago. He's quite possibly the posterchild of what a wrestler should be.

Shawn the man, huge piece of shit during the Kliq years, quite possibly one of the best guys on the roster now. He's basically one of the only main eventers I can even think of that is willing to go out there and put someone over. He's done it with almost everyone he's worked with since he came back. He knows his time in the Sun is over and he wants to let other's shine through him. Not to get religious, but this is why I feel that religion can do good through someone, it gives them a rebirth to fix their mistakes, and yes I do think Shawn is a changed person. His animosity towards Bret in the late 90's came from the fact that they both had enormous egos and always claimed something on the other, overall; thank Christ that Stone Cold Steve Austin happened and allowed for them to focus on someone who wasn't a prima donna. Everyone basically had nasty things to say about him during the 90's and nowadays most people really like him.

Now as for Bret, another one of my favorites (what can I say, I like workrate) and he's quite possibly the best worker during the 90's. Shawn was the better story teller, but Bret had some very interesting finishes and while people remember him for being "predictable", I remember him for being innovative with each of his opponents. He was a black hole of charisma though, good God. Sometimes I wondered why he was even pushed so hard over Neidhart when Neidhart clearly had charisma and ability (for a big guy), Bret worked the matches but couldn't cut a promo to save his life. Some people point to his heel turn after his return with Austin where he was cutting loose, but even then he had some terrible promos. I remember a promo where he's in a wheelchair in the ring and starts talking down Shawn Michaels and he goes on and on and on, it was terrible! His character did evolve towards the end, but it had no real place in the WWF. I've always seen his departure as kayfabed, I mean the whole "Wrestling With Shadows" documentary being there and his character at the time, really fit with Montreal...so for all I know it could've been a work, especially given how fast Bret responded. Why wouldn't they ever reveal such a thing? Well the reputation Bret has nowadays stems largely from the event itself, a lot of people stopped watching after that. It might also be partly due to guilt on WWF's end for the death of Owen, but this is all speculation from my end. Also, Bret was heavily underutilized in WCW. Here you have a big name coming into the #1 company and coming off a HUGE "scandal" in WWF, and you put him in the midcard? His feud with Goldberg was alright, but outside of that nothing much else was memorable.

As for Bret now? Yeah, he's probably a piece of shit too. But I don't think he's bitter. It's usually the FANS that dwell on Montreal more than anything else, and Bret usually only talks about it if someone brings it up. The BIG problem I have with Bret was how he ended his book, it was a fantastic read except for the last page where he ends it by saying I'll never forgive Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon can kiss my ass. I mean what is that? You're a 50 year old man, don't write like a 14 year old!
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 05:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And after your last two sentences, you don't think Bret's bitter?

Shawn has gone on the record numerous times saying that he wants to appologize to Bret, face to face, and bury the hatchet. Whenever someone brings that up to Bret, he gets defensive and says it will never happen. Bret knew that he was putting Vince into a hard corner, when he refused to drop the title in Canada, which was Bret's last WWE PPV appearance. Bret said he would hand over the title on the following RAW, but by then his contract was over, and Vince would have to take his word. Vince couldn't trust Bret not to do a repeat with what happened with Medusa and the Women's Title.

It's boils down to this: In wrestling, you do what the booker tells you to do. He says lose, you lose. Bret was a primadonna and refused to lose A: In his home country. (Which is stupid. Does that mean Cena should only drop the title when he is in Canada?) B: To Shawn Michaels, because he hated Shawn, as the two were fighting to both be on the top, and by Bret walking away to WCW, he was already giving Shawn the ball, and did not want to push him any further.

I respect Bret's ability in the ring. I can't stand anything else about the man.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 06:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A+++ to both Dodd and Knyte for two great posts. There were so many good parts I couldn't decide what to quote, so I'll just say that as a blanket statement.

Dodd, I think your read of things is spot on, except for the part about Bret. I have to agree with Knyte that, however good a person he may be, that's one sore spot he cannot get over. Anytime someone even breathes in that direction, he gets *incredibly* defense, and starts with this whole victim complex thing that no one of his stature in the industry should sink to. If he really can't deal with it, he should shut up and just leave it at "no comment" rather than sounding petulant every time the subject is brought up.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 08:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I say Bret isn't bitter, I don't mean that he dwells on Montreal. I think he hates Shawn for a lot more than his part in the Screwjob. Most people think he's still not over it, when in fact if anyone isn't over it, it's Vince. How many times have they pulled Montreals since Bret left?

The problem with the Screwjob is ridiculous on both sides. While Bret was negociating a contract, Vince was going behind his back and literally working a deal with WCW because a previous offer from Vince had Bret working 10 years, which was something that Vince couldn't afford. Despite this, Vince PUT THE TITLE ON HIM ANYWAYS. Vince put himself in that corner. And Vince did this several times before and since then, he's not the great businessman everyone claims he is.

Is Bret wrong for holding up the title in Montreal? Absolutely! Do I think he would've shown up on Nitro and thrown the belt in a trash can? Hell no. Call Bret a lot of things, but a complete asshole towards the company that took care for him for nearly 15 years isn't something I feel he wouldn't have done.

And yes, Bret was a prima donna. The whole schtick about him losing in Canada was a fucking loon. First off, this is your last match in the company and you SHOULD give someone a rub. Secondly, you're going to a new company to build you up to great heights, so why should you matter how your depature looks in WWE? Diesel went on a losing streak, Ramon went on a losing streak, Bret could've easily lost the title and still saved face no matter what.

I'm not condoning Bret's actions one bit, but many other people held up Vince for a title for years; Michaels, Jarrett, Chyna...so it's not like it's something new. Vince weaseled around, I think Bret was willing to do business, but from what I've read about the incidents, I think if anyone was at fault, it's Vince's poor attempts to run the WWF at the time. And yes, Bret is a ridiculous human being when he wants to be. He said he would no show the Hall of Fame if he saw Shawn. Not to mention, he didn't come out at Wrestlemania 22, which was a bummer since I was there and the two big HOF names weren't present.

I'm still a fan of Bret. His overall persona now boils down to what people say to him about his career, I don't think he's bitter about anything other than Michaels. And yes, I agree that is ridiculous.
Reply to topic

Jump to: