"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Help and advice

Reply to topic
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 09:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay short version: you guys know the copyright issues I've had with YT. Well, it's been hooked to my SoldierHawk account to, don't ask me how. So I'm in danger of losing both accounts. I deleted the offending videos off the figure skating account, but that still leaves my SH account at two strikes--if I ever get another one its goodbye forever.

So question: should I risk just keeping it? Or should I start fresh with a new channel?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i personally think you should be ok, since you are mostly doing lets play videos. but if you would rather not risk it, just start a new channel.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I will. Its just not worth the risk that ten years down the road my channel might get yanked. No.

militarysignatures.com

Eddie_Hyde
Title: Ernie with the Disposal
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You could start a new channel with all your old stuff on it, and keep updating the old channel.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Try calling this number: 650-253-0000

Maybe a human can help resolve things. They should not be doing this stuff.
Eddie_Hyde
Title: Ernie with the Disposal
PostPosted: Sep 03 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Try calling this number: 650-253-0000

Maybe a human can help resolve things. They should not be doing this stuff.

Yeah, I was thinking, it seems... wrong, not to mention illegal, to take down a person's primary profile because the second one had stuff in it which should have been fine in the first place. It's like a cop finding an eight-ounce of marijuana in a car and then seizing the owner of the car's house.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 04 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'll try calling them tomorrow. I had found the number, but kept being put on indefinite hold. I will try again though. For now I am setting up an alt. account with all of my stuff (lower quality in the transfer, sadly) just in case. We'll see how it goes. If things get resolved, great, I'll take down the notices on my old vids and account. If not, at least the other one will be up and running. Since I only have three subscribers besides people here on the forums, it should be okay one way or the other. Its not like a whole ton of people are going to hit my channel and not subscribe because I said the channel was moving for 48 hours. Sigh. If it works out I'll just delete the "new" version of the vids and the channel I put them on. Right now I just feel like I NEED a backup, just in case.

But yeah. YouTube pretty much sucks ass right now. Apparently they link ALL the accounts you create under the master email you use, which is why they're threatening both.

This is what happens when you stand up for yourself. Fuck this shit.

militarysignatures.com

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 04 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for the double post, but meh.

God DAMN am I glad I took the time to download and re-upload all my videos last night. I didn't think they'd do it this fast, but sure enough, both of my accounts have been disabled. Thank GOD I downloaded my LPs before that happened. So I guess I'll just have to live with my first 6 LPs being a lot lower quality (thanks to the quality hit taken by downloading/reuploading.) Oh well.

Oh, for the record, after an *hour and a half* on hold I finally got ahold of Google on the phone, only to promptly be told they don't do phone support for youtube. "Our support is all online." Translation: shut the fuck up, we're not going to help. Especially since their YT help email is practically nonexistent, and the only official rep in the help forum does nothing but dither about and toe the company line. (Which I don't blame her for, but basically that makes her useless for anything but the most rudimentary tech issues which anyone can answer.)

So basically, YouTube and Google told me to go fuck myself. Except they didn't even listen long enough to let me say that. What the hell ever happened to "don't be evil," huh? Sad

militarysignatures.com

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Sep 04 2009 08:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but meh.

God DAMN am I glad I took the time to download and re-upload all my videos last night. I didn't think they'd do it this fast, but sure enough, both of my accounts have been disabled. Thank GOD I downloaded my LPs before that happened. So I guess I'll just have to live with my first 6 LPs being a lot lower quality (thanks to the quality hit taken by downloading/reuploading.) Oh well.

Oh, for the record, after an *hour and a half* on hold I finally got ahold of Google on the phone, only to promptly be told they don't do phone support for youtube. "Our support is all online." Translation: shut the fuck up, we're not going to help. Especially since their YT help email is practically nonexistent, and the only official rep in the help forum does nothing but dither about and toe the company line. (Which I don't blame her for, but basically that makes her useless for anything but the most rudimentary tech issues which anyone can answer.)

So basically, YouTube and Google told me to go fuck myself. Except they didn't even listen long enough to let me say that. What the hell ever happened to "don't be evil," huh? Sad

Hawk, we are talking about youtube and google which are free to anyone with internet access. What you are going through is basically why i gave up on uploading anything further on my youtube channel. Since the services are free they cannot be held responsible for even the slightest mistake you may have made. Now if you were paying for the service of youtube then all you had to do is threaten to sue and youtube would probably negotiate.

This is the problem with something like youtube, you maybe a consumer but you are not a paying consumer therefore any consumer rights you might have are thrown out the window. It's the price to pay for something free like youtube, if that makes any sense.

Youtube really can't manage itself properly or have any respect for it's consumers. Look at internet giants like AVGN and Nostalgia Critic who got their start on youtube and since youtube kept snubbing them over they made their own websites. And dare i say those sites are better then yt. By all means youtube should have picked them up and increased their publicity but instead they enlist Michael Buckley and Irate Gamer or . . . . shudder Fred . . .

There really hasn't been any movements for 'youtube consumer rights' yet mainly because the big corps that hold the copyright laws have the money and therefore the power and constantly put fear into youtube. I know i'm in a loop rant right now but your mass effect videos do not even come close to the other copyright infringements i've seen on youtube and it burns me up. Youtube is hypocritical, I found a channel that had been up a year, A YEAR posting nothing but old ghostbuster cartoons and youtube just got around to closing the channel after it was up for two years. I'm not saying what the creator of the channel did was right but youtube should have some damn consistency. How long were your videos up, not even a week and youtube jumped on you in a heartbeat. Youtube needs to get off it's lazy ass and start maintaining it's site better, that way they can weed out the perpetrators and start recognizing respectable consumers like Hawk and give them the help they need but since the service is FREE, that wont be happening any time soon.

There are plenty of youtube users like yourself that do care about their channel and should be given a chance to defend it. the problem is there are so many trolls and pirates that create bot-accounts, youtube has to adopt the policy of 'everyone is guilty period" mainly because it's easier that way. I keep saying that youtube should have a second chance law so anyone who had copyright material and wants to save their channel can remove it and have their record cleaned.

But no, youtube can't waste it's time trying to better it's services, instead it has to focus on more important things like reformatting everyone's channel which IMHFO is about as convenient as having my pants on my head.

Sorry Hawk, but youtube closing channels for retarded reasons is a topic i'm drawn too like a moth to a flame. I'm going to stop right now before i explode but i want you to know, you have my support.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Sep 04 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If this happens again, I would say just upload trailers to youtube and use another site to host the videos. That way you could still get youtube traffic and won't have to deal with them being douche bags.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 05 2009 03:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

nihilisticglee wrote:
If this happens again, I would say just upload trailers to youtube and use another site to host the videos. That way you could still get youtube traffic and won't have to deal with them being douche bags.

I very well might do this, actually. I've been looking into blip, actually--I like the idea of sharing ad revenue in the (admittedly unlikely) even that my videos become suddenly and shockingly popular.

Is anyone familer with blip? I'm trying to figure out if you can make a playlist within one channel like you can on YouTube, or if you have to maintain a whole other account for videos with different 'topics'.

militarysignatures.com

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Sep 05 2009 08:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
nihilisticglee wrote:

I very well might do this, actually. I've been looking into blip, actually--I like the idea of sharing ad revenue in the (admittedly unlikely) even that my videos become suddenly and shockingly popular.

Is anyone familer with blip? I'm trying to figure out if you can make a playlist within one channel like you can on YouTube, or if you have to maintain a whole other account for videos with different 'topics'.

I use blip and from what I can see there isn't a way to put the videos on a playlist as they all lump together within one page. Though with embedding you can create video playlists.
http://embedr.com/playlist/how-to-build-a-blip-tv-playlist

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 05 2009 05:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ interesting....that's really good to know, thanks Opti.

I've actually decided to do something a little different with the blip account. I think I'm going to stick with YouTube for my LPs (hopefully once I get my channel back...crossing fingers and spitting in hat), and will also use it for trailers for the blip show I'm plotting about.

Overall, have you found their service to be pretty good Opti? I'm a little confused as to what their limits are in terms of length/size/amount of videos. I know they have an "encoding limit" of two hours, but do they have a video size limit as well? Are you limited to a certain number of videos per account? You'd think they'd have those things posted reeeeally big in their FAQ, but if they're there, I totally missed them.

militarysignatures.com

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Sep 06 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
^ interesting....that's really good to know, thanks Opti.

I've actually decided to do something a little different with the blip account. I think I'm going to stick with YouTube for my LPs (hopefully once I get my channel back...crossing fingers and spitting in hat), and will also use it for trailers for the blip show I'm plotting about.

Overall, have you found their service to be pretty good Opti? I'm a little confused as to what their limits are in terms of length/size/amount of videos. I know they have an "encoding limit" of two hours, but do they have a video size limit as well? Are you limited to a certain number of videos per account? You'd think they'd have those things posted reeeeally big in their FAQ, but if they're there, I totally missed them.

My friend does the uploading but I believe it is 1gb. And I don't believe there is a limit, I have seen large numbers of videos of accounts.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 08 2009 08:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well for those still interested in the status of this little drama, I did end up fighting the copyright claim. YT says they sent it to the complainant, and if they either back off or don't respond, I'll have my accounts back in 10-14 days.

If any of you are the praying type (and the type that doesn't mind bothering the diety of your choice with inanity like this) feel free to send up a good thought or two for me. It sure would be nice to have my SH account back, if nothing else. Obviously I wouldn't be touching the skating account ever again, pretty much. But it would still be nice to have the content up, what they allow, for people who want it.

So yuh. Will pass on more (hopefully good) news as it comes.

militarysignatures.com

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Sep 08 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Hawk, we need to do a let's play together sometime on a game.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Sep 08 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's an excellent idea, Slay; our ideas do tend to bounce off each other well.

I've never done a collaboration like this over the net, but I'd be totally open to the idea. Anything in particular in mind?

militarysignatures.com

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well send me PM about it. If you have a game or something in mind for a NES, Genesis, SNES or even a couple PC games I might have it or something. I've been processing a couple ideas on how we could get a multidiscussion while we both record or something... it might be tricky but I'm sure we could set it up some how.
Reply to topic

Jump to: