"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Necro Critic: Ehrgeiz (part 1)

Reply to topic
Necro Critic
Title: The Necro Critic
PostPosted: Aug 23 2009 06:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry I haven't been on in forever, I've been searching for new video equipment and such.

Anyway, here's my latest review.

Scanners is telepathic exploding head murder

Aqua Hedgehog
PostPosted: Aug 24 2009 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You remind me of AVGN. MVC2 also had "fuck moves" if you played with Megaman, Cable, IronMan, and/or War Machine. My friend used those all the time. I might as well get him a turbo controller for this birthday so he could just flip a switch and go get a drink.
Necro Critic
PostPosted: Aug 25 2009 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My personal favorite fuck-move was Raphael from Soul Caliber 2. All you had to do was walk forward and tap the same button to endlessly chain a bunch of quick sword strikes.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 25 2009 05:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure by the fact that you made your video AVGN/nostalgia critic styled that you're mentioning a lot of these things in jest, but I still feel obligated to explain that Ehgeiz is actually a pretty fun game at higher levels of play, and a lot of the things that you've mentioned (including cloud's "fuck move") aren't really as bad as you make them out to be.

The gameplay is actually rather deep, with things like stuns, interrupts, COUNTER THROWS, and the like. there is also a whole other level of the system, called in-fighting that you didn't seem to explore in your review, which fixes a lot of those "not facing the right direction" problems that you were having. You were rolling so much because you were mashing the D-Pad while you were trying t ostand up, which was actually preventing you from standing. if you had only mashed the face buttons, you would have gotten up quicker. check out some gameplay on a higher level to see what I mean:

The thing with the endings and the marketing and whatnot is kinda funny too. Ehrgeiz was originally an arcade game that just happened to have cloud and tifa in it as a bonus, and none of the characters had endings. when it was brought to PSX, sepiroth was added, as well as some endings and I believe that whole thing at the end with the monster and the crates and stuff.

my guess is that they got so busy adding stupid things like the beach mode and the RPG mode and stuff that they ended up being pressed for time towards the end. This is probably why none of the final fantasy people (or the two people from the RPG mode who are unlockable in the main game) have endings. This also may be why sepiroth just has final fantasy clips as his ending, and why vincent, zack, and yuffie play just like characters who are already in the game (godhand, cloud, and sasuke respectively). The endings ARE rather stupid though, but no stupider or nonsensical than most o the endings in the tekken or DOA series.

you can see that more things were planned in game actually. if you highlight the character before vincent, hold up, then move over to vincent, he has a turks portrait instead of his regular one. it's entirely possible that things like alternate costumes and other things were planned, but scrapped due to time.

as far as final fantasy's inclusion being an afterthough, I must point out that a lot of the levels and whatnot are final fantasy influenced. there is a moogle in sasuke's stage, han's stage is eerily like the temple of the ancients, you fight godhand on what could be an airship, django's stage (the final boss before that big retarded crate monster) looks alot like a shinra lab, and even django himself could pass as one of red XIII's tribe (especially in his red P2 outfit). all of this is speculation on my part, however, so take it with a grain of salt.

I just felt that I had to defend the game a bit, as I am an avid fan and above average player. With that said, I did enjoy the video though, and hope to see more in the future.

Necro Critic
PostPosted: Aug 26 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:

my guess is that they got so busy adding stupid things like the beach mode and the RPG mode and stuff that they ended up being pressed for time towards the end.

Funny you should mention that, because part 2 is all about the minigames and quest mode. Mostly quest mode, though.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 26 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I absolutely HATED the quest mode.

In fact, I don't know anyone that actually played it for more than twenty minutes.

Necro Critic
PostPosted: Aug 27 2009 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
I absolutely HATED the quest mode.

In fact, I don't know anyone that actually played it for more than twenty minutes.

Well, now you do.

I want those 15 hours back.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 27 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

you must tell me the end of it, or even if there was an end.

Necro Critic
PostPosted: Aug 28 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
you must tell me the end of it, or even if there was an end.

You'll find out next Friday.

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Aug 28 2009 01:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Aqua Hedgehog wrote:
You remind me of AVGN.

Not quite; at least this guy tries to act.

AVGN may have mad skills on video editing and whatnot, but his acting overall leaves to be desired.

In particular, his angry fits feel forced, specially if you compare him to the NC's F-bombs.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 28 2009 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

i think the entire point of the AVGN character is to be forcefully angry about stupid things that aren't even that big of a deal.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Aug 28 2009 03:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh god I remember beating it with that sumo guy when I worked at FuncoLand and leaving it on all day. Kids would go up to the display and try to get it to do something for several minutes before throwing the controller down pissed off. Whenever someone asked if they could try a game I told them the Playstation was broken haha.

Necro Critic
PostPosted: Aug 28 2009 02:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Oh god I remember beating it with that sumo guy when I worked at FuncoLand and leaving it on all day.

Those fucking noodles...

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Aug 28 2009 06:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
i think the entire point of the AVGN character is to be forcefully angry about stupid things that aren't even that big of a deal.

Even so, he still needs to work on his angry part.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 28 2009 06:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i think id he did that, it wouldnt be the AVGN.

it's like saying a godzilla movie shouldn't use people in costumes.

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Aug 29 2009 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
i think id he did that, it wouldnt be the AVGN.

it's like saying a godzilla movie shouldn't use people in costumes.

No, you don't get it.

I mean, he needs to make his angry fits more heartfelt.

That is, to go from "Grrr, this game sucks." to "MOTHERFUCKIN' PIECE OF SHIT GAME HOPE IT ROTS IN MOTHERFUCKIN' HELL!!!"

It's not that hard really to go one step further.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 29 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I get it better than you, actually. If he goes one step further, it will feel forced and unnecessary.

Reply to topic

Jump to: