SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Just Can’t Get Enough

Reply to topic
IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 27 2009 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just purchased the pop culture book Just Can’t Get Enough - Toys, Games, And Other Stuff From The ’80s That Rocked by Matthew Robinson and Jensen Karp. This is an excellent look at many of the things from the 80s that I grew up with. Masters of The Universe, Alf, Madballs, G.I. Joe and so on.

Every item in the book is summarized by what the thing is, when it came out, who made it, who was it for, and if the item is still around today. Anybody that was a kid during the 1980’s owes it to themselves to pick this book up.

I found myself laughing at some of the stuff that is really cheesy by today’s standards but just rocked in the 1980’s. The Pogo Ball for example. There is a section about this. I had one of these and I just though it was so cool that I was finally able to master the “J.” This was a trick on the ball where you bounced in the air on it, curved your legs back with the ball still between your feet. The shape your body made looked like the letter “J” hence the name. The Pogo Ball is just one of the many things covered in this book.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 27 2009 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh god, I SO remember the pogo ball. I also remember being highly disappointed I couldn't instantly do the cool tricks that the kids on the commercial did lol. (In my defense, I was like, 8.)

I will definitely check this out and report back once I get a copy myself.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 27 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had a Pogo Ball and was about eight or nine when I got it and it took a hell of a lot of practice to be able to pull off some of the tricks, especially The "J." The book is not all that large, it is just over 200 pages but it has cool analysis on the stuff they discuss and a ton of pictures.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 28 2009 02:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Reminds me of the Nickelodeon "Moon shoes" which were basically just foot-mounted trampolines.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 28 2009 07:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I believe the official spelling was PogoBal. I still have mine:

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 28 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I believe the official spelling was PogoBal. I still have mine:

They mentioned the spelling in the book. They say something along the lines of "Great now kids will think ball is spelled bal." Laughing

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jan 28 2009 02:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My neighbours had one of those...in the mid-late 90's we used it and moon boots. God, I didn't grow up in the era this stuff realyl came out but it's like my generation was handed down this old stuff so we grew up with it as well, despite not being alive in the 80's.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 29 2009 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They also have a section dedicated to the Ewok Village from the Return of The Jedi toy line and how it could be used with almost any series of action figures and they wouldn't be out of place.

Reply to topic

Jump to: