[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
WWE goes TV-PG

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 02 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

So the WWE has officially gone TV-PG. hoping to draw in a younger audience. Hopefully, this will eventually mean a return to the goofy gimmicks that made wrestling so much in the 80s and early 90s. Right now, it means that their product is blander and dumber now than it has ever been before.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jan 02 2009 01:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm very hopeful about this as well. I mean, I haven't really kept up on wrestling too much the last few years, but with this momentum shift, I'd be more likely to get back into it. I still wish they had ECW as it was back in the day though. I miss those times.

RIP Hacker.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 02 2009 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure what's happeneing with ECW. They should probably keep the TV-14 rating, since they're extreme. I know Smackdown has been TV-PG for awhile and RAW just changed.

And if RAW wants to be TV-PG, it should probably shift from 9-11 to 8-10. I don't know of ANY people who aren't allowed to watch TV-14 who are allowed to stay up until 11. Hell, even 10 is pushing it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jan 02 2009 02:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if these "goofy gimmicks" are gonna cause some people to consider going to TNA.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 02 2009 07:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This might be a good thing for the others Feds. (TNA and ROH)

This means that rather than trying to compete directly against WWE, they can now have an alternative to WWE. If you want something more gritty and hard edged then the now kid-friendly WWE, then you watch the other ones.

Still wish ROH would get a national TV deal.
IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 02 2009 09:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The goofy gimmicks were classic. Bring back Doink! Very Happy

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 02 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kizarny may be the new Doink.
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jan 03 2009 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What would make my day is if they made current Raw and Smackdown more colorful and goofy with more sticking out gimmicks like The Big Bossman, Macho Man, and The Original Undertaker, and they made current ECW into an Attitude era-esque showing since they clearly aren't going to return to what ECW was actually known for.

IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 03 2009 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ba‘al wrote:
What would make my day is if they made current Raw and Smackdown more colorful and goofy with more sticking out gimmicks like The Big Bossman, Macho Man, and The Original Undertaker, and they made current ECW into an Attitude era-esque showing since they clearly aren't going to return to what ECW was actually known for.

That would be good. I loved the Attitude era of WWF/WWE.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Adrenaline
Title: Local Canadian!
PostPosted: Jan 03 2009 06:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that Im not liking is the no blood, I mean Im not some sick person who wants to see like a gory match, but I mean over the past months, chair shots, steel steps and cages and no blood? I want to see a match like for example Triple H Vs HBK at Royal Rumble 04, lots of weapons, quite a bit of blood. I still think blood makles SOME matches much better.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 04 2009 08:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair though, getting with a chair won't made your damn forehead bleed. It might make your nose bleed, if you get popped in the nose.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting. What about the extreme violence and the scantily clad women? How are they addressing that besides a no-blood rule?
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 07:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wish they'd be rid of the Divas, either get rid of it or bring in some real women wrestlers.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 05 2009 08:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ba‘al wrote:
I wish they'd be rid of the Divas, either get rid of it or bring in some real women wrestlers.

Well, Gail Kim is coming back, which means that between her and Victoria, we could see some quality women's matches again.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jan 07 2009 04:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PG? Awww... Sad So no chance of Mickie James sex storylines? Sad Or, hell, Lita's sendoff and the stuff Trish did in the early days with Vince, barking like a dog and strip poker stuff....

To make sure everyone is covered, obviously no chance of Billy and Chuck returning either as the Ambiguously Gay Duo... WWE sucks.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Jan 07 2009 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I miss the no blood, and your forehead can bleed if hit by a chair depending on the level of impact, as well if it doesn't hit directly but scrapes a bit. I miss the old school WWF myself as well, but also miss old era NWA/WCW. I am a huge 4 horseman fan. ROH should have a national TV deal, as it is the only way I can see them is maybe if a ppv is available or on DVD. I would also love to see CZW, which seems much more like classic ECW (during there extreme years and at the end of their Eastern Championship Wrestling years).

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Jan 12 2009 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

all they need to do is bring another Bulk Dogan in amd victory shall be ours again wrestling fans.

Reply to topic

Jump to: