SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Hello, my name is Knyte, and I am an addict...

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 01:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Back in 1993, I was just another nerdy kid, who loved playing D&D. Then this card game called, "Magic The Gathering" comes along. I never really gave it much attention. I wrote it off as, "D&D for people with no imagination." I mean, who wants to waste tons of money to get into this game? Sure you could buy a Starter Deck for $10 and be able to play. But, you would get your ass handed to you 99 outta 100 times. The only way to have a chance of winning against other players was to spend untold amounts of money in collecting all the cards you need to make a strong deck.

Within the next 3 years, Magic grew more and more popular. Suddenly all the Card and Comic shops have display cases full of Magic cards. Then, in the "high profile" cases that were secure enough to display the Crown Jewels, where once set Autographs baseballs and rookie cards were replaces with Magic Cards such as Mox Saphire, Library Of Alexandria, and the holy grail known as the Black Lotus.

By then, I knew it was too late to get into the game, even if I had more then a passing interest in it. Behind the counters were rows and rows of sets, boosters, and expansions galore. The Magic bus had come and gone, and I did not get on it.

Jump forward to 1998, I picked up a copy of the "Magic The Gathering: Duels of The Planewalkers" PC game. I learned to play Magic, and thought, "Well hell, this is way better than having to buy the cards and try to hunt down the ones you need. You have them all right here, to do as you please." I played through the story mode, and over the next 10 years, I would fire it up from time to time to play a quick match against the computer, or a buddy over network play.

Well, me and a buddy started playing the PC game at work durring our downtimes. He talked about how he use to play, and had a ton of cards from back in the day.

I'm not sure what happened after that. The next thing I know, it's two weeks later and I now have over 4000 magic cards.

What the fuck?

Stupid addicting game. I went 15 years without ever buying a single card! And, now I am a sad, sad junky.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 02:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to play Magic back when it first came out. I was in junior high and at the time it was still possible to buy Alpha and Beta box's for a reasonable price. back then the whole "comic book investment" fad was in full swing and I spent all my money on comic books, magic cards and comic book cards. God I loved comic book cards, I still remember getting my first Wolverine in a Marvel masterpieces booster.

A couple of years ago my brother in law asked me out of the blue if I had ever heard of Magic. This was kind of surprising because I would have never expected him to be interested in this sort of thing, but within a few months I had thousands and thousands of cards. I would walk in with a list of cards and spend horrid amounts of money on those things. I dropped almost $300.00 on a blue control deck one time. The thing that I finally ended it for me is the fact that he was really the only one that I would ever play with on a consistent basis and we would just end up building our decks to counter each others. Over time it caused all of our decks to become convoluted and made the games over long and stagnant. Also I might add that we consumed large amounts of alcohol and after a few hours of playing the games would go off into strange and confusing tangents. It was a lot of fun though. A couple months ago he asked me if he could have my cards., so apparently he still plays. I gave him most of my cards but I still have a large amount of some pretty pricey stuff such as a full set of Alpha Mox's another full set of Beta Mox's, Ancestral Recall, Time Sink, underground sea ect ect.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 02:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Like many phases in my life, I gave up after one year.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 09:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I play Magic still. I remember back in high school, there was one summer we played almost every night. Now it's a pain in the ass to get a group together for casual multiplayer. I still play, but usually only draft and sealed. I still collect though.

I could probably get a decent amount of money for my collection if I wanted to, but it doesn't seem worth it. I'll only get a fraction of the money I poured into it, so what'd be the point?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

My dad had boxes of unopened display boxes full of alpha edition packs from when the first came out, just a fucking mountain of them. When he died my over religious grandmother gave them away Mad

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of other i know play magic and when they talk about anything magic related, it's all nonsense to me but i find it fascinating.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why is it when you really want a card, you buy a shitload of boosters hoping to find it with no luck. So, finally, you break down and buy the card as a single. Then the very next booster you buy has the card in it!?!

Fuck you, Liliana, fuck you.
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Sep 03 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got into playing this when I was a freshman in High School. I didn't buy 2 many boosters packs, for some reason I would buy new decks. I didn't spend too much on it, and in the end by Spring of my Sophmore year in high school I was over it, as I was with any role playing game that I could not play on a console system or on my computer. Also, didn't hurt that I started driving, got a car, had to work on it, had a job, and really got into playing at the pool hall till the wee hours of the morning, or on the off weekend going to the bar, underage I know but I look old, with my Middle brother. Guess that is a real derail from the Magic thread, sorry bout that, Dark Mana rules!!!

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 03:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Counter decks will cure your magic addiction in quite a hurry.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 04:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross listed his whole music catalog... Syd and Knight... your turn to list your whole Magic collection.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bleh, got tired of it after 4 games.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
Counter decks will cure your magic addiction in quite a hurry.

Counter decks aren't that hard to beat or that annoying, turn one combo decks on the other hand...
Asmodeous667
Title: Keeper of the briefcase
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

HAHAHAA!! I got Knyte hooked! Too bad I sucked myself back into the game too. I'm now up to 26 decks, about 8000 cards and god knows how many rares and uncommons... It makes it worse being single with a good income and nothing to spend it on. In the last 2 weeks or so I've bought 3 fat packs, 8 theme decks and quite a few boosters.

........... GO SLIVERS!!!!!

Good....... Bad......... I'm the guy with the gun

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 02:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Asmodeous667 wrote:
HAHAHAA!! I got Knyte hooked! Too bad I sucked myself back into the game too. I'm now up to 26 decks, about 8000 cards and god knows how many rares and uncommons... It makes it worse being single with a good income and nothing to spend it on. In the last 2 weeks or so I've bought 3 fat packs, 8 theme decks and quite a few boosters.

........... GO SLIVERS!!!!!

not without crystalline sliver they don't.
Asmodeous667
Title: Keeper of the briefcase
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 03:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

nihilisticglee wrote:
not without crystalline sliver they don't.

Sweet!! I gotta go get a few of those now, that will really be helpfull espicially when I get a sliver queen put in my deck.

Good....... Bad......... I'm the guy with the gun

Cleandregs Z
Title: BACK 2 BACK
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 02:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never played Magic, I just got into the DBZ CCG a year ago my self. The character cards are pimpin'.

I have lots of friends who play both, and then some in Baltimore.

ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Thorinair wrote:
I don't understand live-action shows on a channel called CARTOON Network.

That's because most American cartoonist are going to Japan to draw Hentai.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Magic is an excellent game. I do wish I could play casual mutliplayer a lot more than I get to, but most of our friends either quit, moved away, or stopped wanted to do multiplayer in favor of only tournament play. My collection currently includes 3x 5000 card boxees, 5x 3200 card boxes, 5x 1600 card boxes, 3x 800 card boxes, and 17 binders of various sizes, most of those binders include complete sets. I've been through an unlimited black lotus, mox ruby, mox emerald, ancestral recall, beta mox sapphire, mox ruby, mishra's workshop, 3x library of alexandria's, 2 of them signed, and a ton of other stuff.

I definitely speak for Syd and probably Knyte in saying that it would be impossible to list all the cards, or at the very least not worth the time.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

krislexia
Title: Now with a hint of lime
PostPosted: Sep 14 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Jeebus, remember teachimg me Magic.

I suck at it. The end. I do wanna start playing again.

Reply to topic

Jump to: