"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Brock Lesnar

Reply to topic
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is from September 2nd, so you all may already know. It has been announced that Brock Lesnar's next UFC opponent will be Randy Couture for the UFC heavyweight championship at UFC 91 on November 15th.

This should be a fun match. I wouldn't think he would be able to work Couture on the ground as easily as he did with Mir or Herring. But then again, even though he has to make weight, he seems to put on quite a bit between weigh in and the match. That is a lot of weight to be on top of you.

I think if Lesnar makes a mistake or underestimates Couture, he can still lose this. But if everything goes right, I think he should win.

Adrenaline
Title: Local Canadian!
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 02:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Im fans of both of them so hopefully it will be a good fight, I dont think Ill be ordering the event though.

scamrock
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I won't order it. I'll probably just find it posted somewhere and watch after the fact.
I guess after Mir and Nog fight, the winner is going to take on the winner of Couture/Lesnar to unify the HW title. So its going to be like a mini-tourny.

I've been reading a lot of comments and there seemed to be mixed opinions. About half the people don't think Lesnar should be getting a title shot and are comparing UFC to WWE. But my feeling is if he wins, he is the better fighter and deserves the title, whether he deserved the shot or not becomes irrelivent to me.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 07:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hope Brock is a better MMA fighter than he was a wrestler. Also, don't interview him, it's boring. Get Heyman to speak for him like in the old days.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 08:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Ghandi. Lesnar was a shitty wrestler, but I could see him as a decent MMA guy.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

he wasn't so much shitty as insanely over pushed. I will admit to being impressed by his Shooting Star Press. But yeah, he should make a better MMA guy.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The F-5 and his shooting star press were some of his best moves ever. He just sucked at everything else.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 09:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

More like Bork Laser!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
scamrock
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I agree with Ghandi. Lesnar was a shitty wrestler, but I could see him as a decent MMA guy.

Have you not got to see any of his fights? He lost to Frank Mir by submission, but dominated the whole fight up to that point. Against Heath Herring, he just decked him them hopped on him to ground and pound for the entire fight. He is a freaking beast.

I think with the Couture fight, it will come down to experience. If experience plays a factor, I think Courture can win a tough fight. If experience isn't a factor, I think Lesnar will win in a squash.

Its hard to say because even though he should still be pretty green, he seems to learn faster than most people. He has an edge over others because of the resources he has available. His improvement between each fight so far is very impressive. Combine this with the fact that Couture has been out around a whole year could help negate the experience that Couture has over him.

I think Couture would have a better shot beating Fedor than Lesnar would, but I'm leaning toward Lesnar to beat Couture.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Sep 13 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
More like Bork Laser!

And, finally, Syd gets to dust off an old joke.
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Sep 13 2008 01:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Have you not got to see any of his fights? He lost to Frank Mir by submission, but dominated the whole fight up to that point. Against Heath Herring, he just decked him them hopped on him to ground and pound for the entire fight. He is a freaking beast.

But the Heath fight showed more then just Brock's strength, it showed some of his flaws. For one, he might have taken Heath to the ground many times, but he couldn't finish him. I take that back, he could have finished him, but didn't, because it was a risk. If he is afraid of putting someone away because it is a risk, how is he going to put away one of the better heavyweights in the world? It also showcased Brock's biggest weakness, he gets tired, and it shows. If someone can last till the last round with him with some strength left, they could put down Brock with a good takedown or flurry.
scamrock
PostPosted: Sep 13 2008 01:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nihilisticglee wrote:
scamrock wrote:

But the Heath fight showed more then just Brock's strength, it showed some of his flaws. For one, he might have taken Heath to the ground many times, but he couldn't finish him. I take that back, he could have finished him, but didn't, because it was a risk. If he is afraid of putting someone away because it is a risk, how is he going to put away one of the better heavyweights in the world? It also showcased Brock's biggest weakness, he gets tired, and it shows. If someone can last till the last round with him with some strength left, they could put down Brock with a good takedown or flurry.

I didn't see that at all. It looked to me (and I don't know for sure) like he didn't try to finish him. I think he was trying to make a point because Herring didn't want to fight Lesnar because he didn't think Brock was good enough. I think Brock was just trying to punish him.

In regards to stamina, think about it like this. If he is draped all over a guy for the whole fight, with all of that weight, the other guy will spend far more energy defending himself. Even in a standing position, larger/heavier guys can wear you down by just leaning on you.

A lot of MMA analysts thought Brock was nearly flawless in his fight with Herring. They also mention how he improves so much from one fight to the next, and having seen all three of his fights, I would agree.

Frank Mir put it into perspective after the Lesnar/Herring fight. He said nobody in MMA can match Lesnar's resources. A lot of guys have to do other stuff besides MMA because it doesn't pay the bills alone. Lesnar has the money that not only can he devote all of his effort to training/fighting, but he can afford all of the best trainers in the world. That combined with his learning curve should make for a rapid increase in skill/experience. Mir also said Lesnar was one of the quickest guys he has ever faced. That combined with his size and strength is a deadly combination.

The only fighters I really think have a chance against Lesnar are guys who specialize on submissions while laying on their backs. On top of that, I think they will have to have great defense and be able to take a beating.

Look how hard he hits. He isn't even hitting right. He is using all muscle. When he learns to get his weight behind his punches, he is going to start breaking skulls.

I really haven't seen how well he can take a beating, but I'm guessing it'll be hard to beat him by pounding on him. I think it'll be hard to get a submission on his arm or neck. I think the best bet is to get your ass kicked and wait until you can get his leg like Mir did. And if that's his weakness, I'm guessing he'll work on that defense the most.

I dunno, I just don't really seeing many guys beating him, especially after he gets some more experience. A lot of the hardcore MMA fans thought he was a joke at first. Now they still don't like him because he is getting big fights sooner rather than moving up the ranks like everyone else. I think they just don't like him because he was a big name professional wrestler who is getting a lof of news just by his name. I think even if he dominates the sport, they still will find a way not to like him.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Sep 13 2008 07:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He is improving, no one can really say he is not. Still, I think he does need to work on putting away his opponents, because even if he was attempting to punish Heath, the still fight went to decision when it shouldn't have, and Heath isn't exactly a top heavyweight. It isn't so much that I don't think Lensar can win, but he has noticable flaws still.

As for his stamina, it is still a problem, especially if he faces guys who aren't so mush smaller then him. It will be making a difference in the Couture fight, but if was to face someone the size of Heath again who has more skill, that lack of stamina will be a problem
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 13 2008 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

idk.... i think couture is too much of a badass to lose to lesnar. like someone said, he is still pretty green, but he will be a beast once his rough edges get polished... or however the saying goes.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: