[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Aug 03 2010 02:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

3 words...
Jon. Bones. Jones.

I would pick him over Anderson Silva right now!

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 03 2010 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I'd agree that it's good for the sport in the sense that it strengthens the argument that all the best heavyweights are in the UFC. Not that I'd like to see one organization have a monopoly over the sport, but since the UFC is clearly not interested in cross-promoting events, we may as well have all the best fighters there so we can have a true undisputed champion. Of course we've still got Overeem and Werdum outside the UFC, but without the aura of the great undefeated Fedor, I think it's now official that if you're a heavyweight, you've got to be in the UFC to be fighting the best competition.

I totally disagree, I think if you look at where Anderson Silva, and many of the other greats originally gained their skills and experience, it was in the much bigger pool of fighters that Pride had, and other international organization. Naturally that braoder pool of fighters, made it so that there was more great ones to put in the right, and they got introduced to more styles, and just overall greater experience. I think many of the fighters that dominated the UFC came from other bigger pool of fighters. That's why i think the other internation fight groups are likeyl superior to UFC fighters. GSP would be an exception. and i dont think it's anything bad about the UFC fighters, it's just they're not fighting the variety and as large of pool the other fighters are facing. They get the better training, matches etc... UFC just is buying the talent to come into their organization.

I hope Fedor Joins the ufc, i'd love to see him tear up Brock Lesnar, and I have a lot of respect for Cotour i don't see how he could compete with fedor.

I'd like to see Anderson Silva vs. GSP
Fedor Vs. Brock
Fedor Vs. Coutour
Bobby Lashly Vs. Fedor
Bobby Lashly Vs. Brock Lesnar

I used to be a big Matt Hughes, i'm just glad he got a win over GSP regardless how, before it was all said and done. I wish in his re-match that he focused more on wrestling, maybe even using Grecko, to get GSP down.. and not try to box him with his at the time limited boxing experience.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 01:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fedor will probably never fight in the UFC. Just read that they are about to extend his contract with Strikeforce. The only way he will do a fight is if his promotion M-1 Global co-promotes the event. The UFC refuses to do that and rightfully so, I mean seriously, who does this guy think he is? Strikeforce allows it to happen because he is one of the only draws they have.

The guy has not fought top competition since 2005, and the guys that he beat back then have not done very well in the UFC, like Big Nog, and Cro Cop. And the last five years he has only fought guys that the UFC either doesn't want anymore, or not interested in period. So when you see these magazines and websites rank him #1 or #2, its absurd and shouldn't be taken seriously. Fedor just got beat by Fabricio Werdum, whos last fight in the UFC got knocked out by Junior Dos Santos. Both Werdum and Dos Santos are ranked behind Fedor on most of these so called "MMA Rankings" and that should give you an idea of how legitimate they are.

Don't get me wrong, the guys a legend of the sport, but what would he do against Shane Carwin or Dos Santos? He'd most likely get embarrassed and retire.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 07:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree totally... Fedor has fought and beat former UFC champions who went to fight with him. And some he brutally raped. I think the UFC is slowly getting better, but for the longest time, while i watched mostly UFC fights i wasn't impressed with their line up, only over the past 2 years or so has UFC really taken flight. I should do some research to verify this. But for me for the longest time, when I was watching, which was when Hughes was reigning, and then he got dethroned, by GSP... I think GSP, B.J. penn, Couture, and possibly hughes were the UFC only real quality fighters for awhile.

Then they saw pride fighters and started bring them in the UFC, and the people they recruited like Silva, kicked everyone's ass... Chuck got knocked out (and i knew it was coming.. he was so slow, all that was required to beat him, was someone who had better boxing and can take a punch of his. Rampage was like I can do that.) Hughes had really overbearing wrestling skills, but because that was his primary asset, he had hard time setting up things verse skilled/nearly as strong opponent who were decent ground and had stand up/taken down defense. The he tried to gain striking skills to compensate, and just got wasted, because he was behind so many years in striking practice.

I think most of the fighers good in the UFC now, came from other fighting organizations.

I don't know why cro cop is doing poorly... maybe just not as good as he used to be, maybe the octagon limits his movement options.. since he's a kicker.. kick run.. kick run...

I think you underestimate fedor... I think he'd do well in the UFC, i know he'd tear up Brock...

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
The guy has not fought top competition since 2005, and the guys that he beat back then have not done very well in the UFC, like Big Nog, and Cro Cop. And the last five years he has only fought guys that the UFC either doesn't want anymore, or not interested in period.

This isn't exactly true, as two years ago Fedor beat Tim Syliva, who had a record of 9-4 in the UFC, with an over all total of 26-6, and has a stint as UFC Heavyweight Champion. More recently, he had beaten Andrei Arlovski who went 10-4 in the UFC*, and had a stint as UFC Heavyweight Champion.

Compare this to Shawn Carwin, who has has been given mostly easy fights until arguably Gabriel Gonzaga or Frank Mir. After those fights, he got beat by Lesnar. Within the UFC he holds a 4-1 rankings, and against arguably less skilled opponents than the two listed above.

Also, just because you lose once doesn't mean you are out of the sport. The above mentioned Sylvia lost to Andrei once, then beat him twice in a row. Another example is current UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva. Despite being thought of as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, he hold four losses, three of which are against below par fighters. Some days ya just get unlucky.

I wouldn't put much faith in the rankings though, as they aren't exactly based on an absolute science, which is why different sites have huge different rankings.

I think Fedor is gonna bounce back from this loss

*including two losses to the aforementioned Tim Syliva
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 12 2010 07:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

so, anyone see the UFC this last weekend? was anyone else surprised that Silva got worked?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

My cousin Riley is in to MMA, however Riley is kind of an ass, so it doesn't speak too well for the sport.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yea I am impressed with Bone Jones right now, would like to see how he would match up against Thiago Silva or Ryan Bader.

How about Chael Sonnen? He lost after beating Anderson Silva's ass for 23 minutes, he definitely made a statement. I looked at his record, he has lost via triangle choke 3 other times, dude needs to work on his BJJ or something. As much as I'd love to see a rematch between them sometime down the road, I'm burnt out on these immediate rematches so I hope we see the Silva/Belfort fight we have been waiting for for what seems like forever.

Reminder: Strikeforce Challengers tonight on Showtime.
username
PostPosted: Aug 13 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

sweet. time to order showtime for the weekend and then cancel on monday

Klimbatize wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 09:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has brock lost yet? It's always interesting to see him fight, just because he's massive lol..

I was pissed at Coutour's loss to brock, he just didn't have the strength to deal with Brock's size, he'd set him up for tosses, and just not be able to perform them... he did well though.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Has brock lost yet? It's always interesting to see him fight, just because he's massive lol..

He lost his second match to Frank Mir.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Aug 22 2010 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, big upsets tonight @ Strikeforce: Houston. Bobby Lashley & King Mo's undefeated streaks were stopped.
eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Aug 24 2010 02:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
Wow, big upsets tonight @ Strikeforce: Houston. Bobby Lashley & King Mo's undefeated streaks were stopped.

I missed the card, but yea, two pretty big upsets. To be honest I wasn't really sold on Mo, or Lashley though. Mo beating Mousasi seemed more indicative of Mousasi's sub-par wrestling than it did of Mo's dominance. Not really surprised that Feijao beat him and I honestly believe Mousasi would beat him in a rematch.

As for Lashley, I didn't think much of him but was definitely surprised that Chad Griggs beat him because it seemed like they were feeding Lashley guys that he could smash until they could use him to sell a few tickets.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 24 2010 06:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What is it like to be a guy fed to lashly lol... that would suck. I was sold more on lashley than brock.. but who knows. Brock Vs. Lashley that would be sweet.

I remember that Mr. Glee, that was the ankle lock, right?

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Aug 24 2010 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
I remember that Mr. Glee, that was the ankle lock, right?

Wikipedia claims it was a Kneebar, but I wasn't watching that fight.
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Aug 26 2010 03:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
As for Lashley, I didn't think much of him but was definitely surprised that Chad Griggs beat him because it seemed like they were feeding Lashley guys that he could smash until they could use him to sell a few tickets.

Lashley beat himself. He was dominating the entire fight, but when they were stood up he could barely get up. Then, at the end of the round, he couldn't even get up. I heard he left by ambulance. I can't remember seeing anyone gas that bad ever.

I think the comparisons with Lesnar should slow down now. While Brock has shown improvement in every fight (won a decision, then won by dropping Couture standing, then crushed Mir with GnP, then beat Carwin by sub), Lashley is pretty much the same guy he was on day one. He showed that he has real takedown ability and is a solid wrestler (which we already knew), but that is about it.

He needs to cut some of his muscle mass or learn how to finish in the first 2 rounds.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Oct 23 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My picks tonight.. Lesnar, Sheilds, Tito
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 03:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Did anyone watch the Machida/Rampage fight? I really think highly anticipated main events like that should go 5 rounds when there is not a clear winner after 3. Hell, if they are trying to be #1 contenders they should be training for 5 round fights anyway.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Nov 24 2010 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've got mixed feelings on the 5-round thing.

On one hand, yea......it would be cool to have the fighters settle it rather than have the judges make the call. But on the other hand, part of what makes title fights special is that they're 5 rounds. Besides, I think people complain about bad judging more than is necessary. I think the judges get it right 95% of the time.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 24 2010 03:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think the primary reason to keep the fights shorter is because fighters don't fight desperately when they have energy. When a fighter starts to lose energy and desperately looks for ways to get out of bad situations, they put themselves at greater risk for injury as well as their opponent.

Remember the majority of these guys are ineligible for health insurance. They need to be able to heal between fights. Once in a while, a 5 round fight is a good idea, especially for big fights. However, for smaller fights, it is better for the fighters long term.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Nov 25 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is that true about the health insurance? I'd never heard that before. I mean even NFL players have health insurance, and football is a lot more dangerous of a sport than MMA.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Feb 05 2011 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is probably the best card I have seen on a PPV in years tonight. My picks: Belfort, Franklin, Jones, all via KO
username
PostPosted: Feb 05 2011 04:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

good picks.

i am also rooting for belfort.

Klimbatize wrote:

username
PostPosted: Feb 06 2011 03:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

really?! that was the main event?!

Klimbatize wrote:

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Feb 06 2011 05:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tell me about it. A kick to face and it's over. I'm done buying these things.

Reply to topic

Jump to: