"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Hawk Plays: LPs with SH

Reply to topic
Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
PostPosted: Jul 05 2009 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Best of luck Hawk, I look forward to watching your LP's when you get a chance to do them. Smile

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jul 05 2009 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, wait, wait. The let woman do Let's Play's? What's next? Voting and reading?

Lawyers, Guns and Money

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jul 05 2009 07:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

anorexorcist wrote:
Wait, wait, wait. The let woman do Let's Play's? What's next? Voting and reading?

Fear the silent takeover. Women-power!

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

jackfrost
Title: Cold Hearted Bastard
PostPosted: Jul 06 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Are you actually going to do it? It has been a while now and I haven't seen any progress. I will make a deal. I have been considering piercing my nose, so I have decided to let you control my fate. If you don't do a let's play I won't get it done, if you do I will. I think you are as reluctant as I am to do it, but I know there is a part of you that wants to as well. You control my fate.

[img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/akajackfrost/megaman.jpg[/img]

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jul 06 2009 02:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

jackfrost wrote:
Are you actually going to do it? It has been a while now and I haven't seen any progress. I will make a deal. I have been considering piercing my nose, so I have decided to let you control my fate. If you don't do a let's play I won't get it done, if you do I will. I think you are as reluctant as I am to do it, but I know there is a part of you that wants to as well. You control my fate.

Noooooo! Too much pressure...!!! Shocked

Like I said, the voiceover-style LPs, that might be awhile (for technical and self-consciousness reasons.) The annotated playthrough, though, should have the first part up fairly shortly.

militarysignatures.com

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jul 08 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

It'd be cool to see a history-based LP like you said. I've been wanting to do either a Call of Duty 1 or one of the Total War LPs that tries to add in a little education with the entertainment, I'm just trying like hell to figure out how to record on my PC.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

TopShelf
Title: Not the Pantry
PostPosted: Jul 09 2009 09:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

jackfrost wrote:
These are two of my favorite LPers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CornshaqGaming

http://www.youtube.com/user/meidc

They both go through the entire games without dying too, even the insanely difficult ones.

I watched Cornshaq's Megaman LP's and guy is all business. It's like your listening to a professor for an online course. You can tell he really does his homework because the guy just tears through the games with little to no mistakes.

"I'm the best actor/model and not the other way around! -Fabio

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 09:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so I promised to have a video up by now, and that hasn't worked out. But I will give an update that is hopefully quite good:

I've been trying to make myself happy with the Zelda: LtP LP I'm working on, and it just isn't happening, because my thoughts keep drifting to Half-Life (which I just bought and have never played.) I promised myself I wouldn't start it til I have at least one Zelda video up.

Then inspiration hit: some of my favorite LPs are the ones where someone is going through a game they've never played before. Being one of the few people who's never played Half-Life, I thought I might be fun to try LPing that while I go through it for the first time. Then I wouldn't have the pressure of necessarily coming up with something new, I could go (mostly) with gut-level reaction to whatever's going on in the game, which hopefully would be entertaining to people who know what's coming when I don't. I'm going to give it a shot anyway, and post a vid once I'm happy with it to get everyone's reaction.

This might take a couple of days because the cheapass, free software I've been using to record 8-bit games won't work for a full screen one like HL. I might have to suck it up and buy something like FRAPS, but I'm going to see if I can't make what I have work first. Either way, since I'm going to be gone at a military conference all weekend, my goal is to have the 10-minute test vid up by Thursday night before I leave. Then I can check the feedback when I come home on Sunday.

That's the plan anyway. Yes, it could be the worst idea ever and I might crash abd burn (especially since I suck at FPSes and will probably have to play on Easy to complete the game). But what the hell...this is something I'm excited enough about to run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. And if I suck...at least I still get to play Half-Life!

militarysignatures.com

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Okay, so I promised to have a video up by now, and that hasn't worked out. But I will give an update that is hopefully quite good:

I've been trying to make myself happy with the Zelda: LtP LP I'm working on, and it just isn't happening, because my thoughts keep drifting to Half-Life (which I just bought and have never played.) I promised myself I wouldn't start it til I have at least one Zelda video up.

Then inspiration hit: some of my favorite LPs are the ones where someone is going through a game they've never played before. Being one of the few people who's never played Half-Life, I thought I might be fun to try LPing that while I go through it for the first time. Then I wouldn't have the pressure of necessarily coming up with something new, I could go (mostly) with gut-level reaction to whatever's going on in the game, which hopefully would be entertaining to people who know what's coming when I don't. I'm going to give it a shot anyway, and post a vid once I'm happy with it to get everyone's reaction.

This might take a couple of days because the cheapass, free software I've been using to record 8-bit games won't work for a full screen one like HL. I might have to suck it up and buy something like FRAPS, but I'm going to see if I can't make what I have work first. Either way, since I'm going to be gone at a military conference all weekend, my goal is to have the 10-minute test vid up by Thursday night before I leave. Then I can check the feedback when I come home on Sunday.

That's the plan anyway. Yes, it could be the worst idea ever and I might crash abd burn (especially since I suck at FPSes and will probably have to play on Easy to complete the game). But what the hell...this is something I'm excited enough about to run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. And if I suck...at least I still get to play Half-Life!

if i was ever to do a LP, half life would be one of my first options. I envy you a little, i remember the first time i play HL, it was breathtaking. It was and still is an epic game. But i'll give you some advice, if you don't know what your doing or get lost don't feel bad about checking up a walk through, believe me it's a fun game but there are some frustrating moments that get everyone. Good luck Hawk!

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jul 17 2009 05:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

God dammit.

I have all the video recorded, all the commentary recorded...now all I have to do is compress and edit it a bit, am WMM is being a fucking bitch and freezing every time I try to cut. Seeing as its now 3am and I have to drive to Aniheim in the morning, this isn't going to happen tonight. It should have, since I finished at NINE FUCKING O'CLOCK, but without compression and editing, I can't upload. So I'm going to either have to find some decent free editing software, or fix the problem Monday night after work and get it up then.

Not that everyone's been waiting with baited breath or anything, but I do apologize to anyone who was waiting for me to finally get my act together for making you wait further. Hopefully this shit will be solved next week. Chalk this up to technical difficulties and a learning curve.

Frankly I don't see why WMM should have a problem with these vids...I know they came off FRAPS, but they are WMV format, and I have zero trouble with any other wmvs...stupid &#*$&# thing.

Anyway, if anyone has easy to use and free video editing software they recommend, I'd be happy to give it a look. I don't need a lot of features, just the ability to splice and cut wmvs and audio (and do so independently, as wmm does.)

militarysignatures.com

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jul 17 2009 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually looking forward to your LP Hawk, i'm always up for a LP esspecially if the feature game is awesome like half life. Sorry i can't help you with the editor, all know is WMM Sad

BTW, what did you think of HL?

ImageImageImage

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 17 2009 07:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well i am eagerly waiting mamm, good luck with the editing woes

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 18 2009 02:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you decide to do these regularly I thought of an idea for your intro. Somehow use the theme to SilverHawks?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jul 19 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
If you decide to do these regularly I thought of an idea for your intro. Somehow use the theme to SilverHawks?

Dude...that would be fucking cool. Okay, I need to work on that, once I get my editing down.

As for what I think of Half-Life...I'm only 20 minutes in and not even past the intro section yet Laughing . I think things are just about to heat up though, as the part I'm about to record is entering the "test chamber...". Which is, I assume, where the shit hits the fan.

So far I'm liking it a lot though.

militarysignatures.com

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jul 19 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
lordsathien wrote:

Dude...that would be fucking cool. Okay, I need to work on that, once I get my editing down.

As for what I think of Half-Life...I'm only 20 minutes in and not even past the intro section yet Laughing . I think things are just about to heat up though, as the part I'm about to record is entering the "test chamber...". Which is, I assume, where the shit hits the fan.

So far I'm liking it a lot though.

I freaking love Half Life. I swear I've played every expansion, mod, and port. It was a lot of fun back then just walking around, looking at the lab and whatever, then everything just goes to hell and you see everyone else failing to escape. It was so different from the invincible FPS marines of the day, and felt more like an action-adventure movie than a tuff-guy shoot-em-up.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jul 19 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I DID IT!

I solved my problem! Literally, I should have this up within the hour and probably a lot sooner. Fuck yeah!

Of course I'm excited now, and then I get feedback on it Razz . But seriously, keeps your eyes peeled and I'll be done asap.

Btw lord, I was thinking about what you said...I'm going to do that. Not for each LP, because I hate people who add intros to LPs when all I want to do is watch them, but I have been planning to make an "intro" video for my channel, and I will be sure to use the Silverhawk theme Wink

EDIT:

It...is done.

Here is the end result of a bit of playing, a bit of fun, a lot of high hopes, and a shitload of fighting with technology:

Now, in addition to the gallons of praise sure to fall down upon me as the Heavens themselves open and angels weep their tears of joy, I am (in all seriousness) looking for honest feedback, up to and including "you suck," as long as you can back yourself up and make the criticism useful. I'm open to hearing anything and everything that might help me improve, or keep me from embarrassment myself if this is bad enough that I shouldn't even continue with the project (like I said...I'm not a big fan of my voice.)

Anyway, enjoy I hope. I'll have a write up about it up on my blog tomorrow night. Right now, I'm just happy this is finally up.

militarysignatures.com

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Btw lord, I was thinking about what you said...I'm going to do that. Not for each LP, because I hate people who add intros to LPs when all I want to do is watch them, but I have been planning to make an "intro" video for my channel, and I will be sure to use the Silverhawk theme Wink

Always glad to be a source of inspiration. I'll be subscribing of course.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 01:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great job with this first video, Hawk, I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing, your voice sounds fine Smile ) your reactions to what's coming up. Very Happy

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Greg the White
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I like it. That "Late for work" crack actually had me laughing for a while. I hate those stupid RPG's.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like what yo have so far, I really like that you are going in blind since I've never played half life and so it's a learning experience for everyone.

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 01:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I left a comment on the video that pretty much gives you a thumbs up, you've inspired me to try out an LP too, once my home computer is fix that is. Oh and you don't suck, it's your first time through, every LPer has to find their groove and i'm sure you'll find your own. And trust me when I say your voice is fine, i've heard much worse.

ImageImageImage

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was great.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Behold and enjoy, part 2 is now live:

militarysignatures.com

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 20 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A few notes.

The serious problem is that you're too close to the microphone. It makes your voice too loud, it's hard to hear the game over you. Plus, hard sounds are causing you to blow into the mic. Stand back a bit from it, and turn the game sounds up.

Also, try and sound a bit more excited. There's no need to go on a sugar high or anything, but you sound kind of...well, scientific. Like you're examining the game, not playing it. It's a bit hard to explain why it sounds off, but it does. What you're saying is fine, it's your tone that's off.

Other than that, pretty good.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jul 21 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

A very good note, Usa. That's just the way I talk so I never thought about it; it just sounds natural to me. I'll work to improve on that. Thank you.

militarysignatures.com

Reply to topic

Jump to: