[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Superman Vs. Batman

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Feb 25 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
Theres an entire website dedicated to superman being a dick. And thats just classic silver age stuff.

http://superdickery.com/dick/6.html

Thank you. I saw this page awhile ago but couldn't remember the site. That's the end of that chapter.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 25 2008 02:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
JEW wrote:

Nice.

Wasn't it Superboy who took a time machine and showed Bruce he'd become Batman... But didn't tell him that his parents would be killed? Man, that Superman is a real douchebag! Worst friend ever. Thanks a lot Singer for making him a prick. Evil

you know, I used to really hate sueprboy, then I stopped reading comic books for a few years, then I read infinite crisis and he died and became really awesome.

fucking martyrs.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 25 2008 03:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that superdickery website is awesome

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 25 2008 09:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:

Indeed it is, but I still wish Superman wasn't such a dick. Crying

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

username
PostPosted: Feb 25 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
username wrote:

eh, im a batman fan. so, superman being a dick is actually the coolest thing he has ever done imo

Klimbatize wrote:

Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 25 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Tebor wrote:
username wrote:

eh, im a batman fan. so, superman being a dick is actually the coolest thing he has ever done imo

I've never understood that. Why do Batman fans hate Superman? And vice versa? It's frickin' DC. Shouldn't we all hate Captain America or something?

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Feb 26 2008 02:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love both Batman and Superman, but I'm a Marvel guy. At least with Marvel Daredevil fans don't hate Spider-Man.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 26 2008 02:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
It's frickin' DC. Shouldn't we all hate Captain America or something?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Feb 26 2008 02:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Batman's a dick.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Feb 26 2008 02:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
username wrote:
Tebor wrote:
username wrote:

I've never understood that. Why do Batman fans hate Superman? And vice versa? It's frickin' DC. Shouldn't we all hate Captain America or something?
Typically speaking, superman and batman are diametrically opposed characters.

Superman is a savior from another planet, with powers far beyond what a mortal man could achieve. He fights for truth, justice, and the american way. He operates in broad daylight. As noted in Kill Bill, superman reveals himself versus wearing a mask. He fights crime by punching people when they do bad things.

Batman is a man. Granted, a man with an inhuman amount of skill and resources, but nonetheless a human being. Unlike superman, he's a victim of a crime filled world. He fights crime because everytime he takes down a villian he takes down the mugger that killed his parents, the one he was unable to stop. Its coping. He fights in the dead of night. He's wise to the methods of crooks, and can remove them by the roots. Despite what the movies might say, both bruce wayne and batman are masks of the same flawed individual.

The one thing Frank Miller was right about was that these two would not get along. Personally, I dislike saviors from another planet. I'd prefer a bit of a blend, in the form of an idealistic vigilante, but thats neither here nor there.

username
PostPosted: Feb 26 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
Tebor wrote:
username wrote:
Tebor wrote:
username wrote:

Superman is a savior from another planet, with powers far beyond what a mortal man could achieve. He fights for truth, justice, and the american way. He operates in broad daylight. As noted in Kill Bill, superman reveals himself versus wearing a mask. He fights crime by punching people when they do bad things.

Batman is a man. Granted, a man with an inhuman amount of skill and resources, but nonetheless a human being. Unlike superman, he's a victim of a crime filled world. He fights crime because everytime he takes down a villian he takes down the mugger that killed his parents, the one he was unable to stop. Its coping. He fights in the dead of night. He's wise to the methods of crooks, and can remove them by the roots. Despite what the movies might say, both bruce wayne and batman are masks of the same flawed individual.

The one thing Frank Miller was right about was that these two would not get along. Personally, I dislike saviors from another planet. I'd prefer a bit of a blend, in the form of an idealistic vigilante, but thats neither here nor there.

well said

Klimbatize wrote:

Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 26 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
Personally, I dislike saviors from another planet.

Alas, poor Dickie... Crying

Edit: Wow, what irony when I was "naming" that character... Granted it was named after the actor, but still...

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 26 2008 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, all hail the glory of the bat.
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 02:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
Tebor wrote:
username wrote:
Tebor wrote:
username wrote:

It's been a couple of days, but I'm still largely unconvinced. Like any major franchise characters, Superman and Batman have their strengths and moments.

Sometimes the uncompromising sense of decency and justice is what I need, other times a darker sense of duty. Either way, I'm a big fan of both characters. It isn't so much an argument of liking one over the other, it's the unsaid "Elvis vs. The Beatles" parallel of having to pick one over the other.

I can understand personal preferences, like people who prefer Star Trek/Wars over the other. But having to pick one and then hate the other? That's like liking Han Solo but hating Indiana Jones. In both cases the other is almost defined by the other, even though they don't exist in same creative world (although Superman/Batman is on its 46th issue).

I can see more of a DC vs. Marvel feud being warranted... Or I could even accept one between The Office (UK) over The Office (US), but between the two key Justice League members? Not so much. While their motives are different and they're fairly juxtaposed to each other, there's too much of a similarity between them.

Why the characters inspire such animosity and a division between people, I am not anymore enlightened, but certainly more curious. It's the Coke vs. Sprite effect, where you create a competition within the same company (also amusingly parodied by that Coke vs. Coke Zero 'taste infringement' commercial).

Well, the quest for pea- enlightenment continues...

Edit: This post would work better with a thesis.

Edit Edit: Han vs. Luke would've been a better example as those are two characters where choosing one over the other is redundant as both are essentially on the same side. And while they operate separately in "Empire Strikes Back" both are still strongly connected to each other.

Edit 3 The Fincher Cut: Totally stream of thought. Rereading it, I can point to numerous points where additional arguments of contradictions and examples can be made. I wish I were a scholar and could write some deep meaningful paper about the futility of Superman vs. Batman, but... I really don't want to write another analysis paper ever again. Rolling Eyes

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Edit Edit: Han vs. Luke would've been a better example as those are two characters where choosing one over the other is redundant as both are essentially on the same side. And while they operate separately in "Empire Strikes Back" both are still strongly connected to each other.

Also, the argument is usually Beatles vs. The Stones
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Tebor wrote:

Also, the argument is usually Beatles vs. The Stones

I'm a Tarantino fan. Twisted Evil

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 04:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Batman and Superman do have similarities, in that they are people with the ability to inflict harm and violence on others without fear of consequence. But the execution is very different. Its more like the Kirk/Picard battle. Nerds like their captains, but usually one group thinks that Picard is a snob and a nancy boy to the heroic and idealistic Kirk. Others think Kirk is a lout and a leader in name only, while Picard knows how to actually defer to people, is intelligent and patient, and overall a better fit to the more complex world of Next Generation.

My guess is that marvel characters versus DC characters doesn't occur as much because its more of a battle between companies, that is, Marvel VS DC. Unless we are talking about dream matches.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Sep 20 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for commenting on it, shitcake!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Sep 20 2015 01:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To be a little more serious, and post something a little more meaningful, I've jumped ship from Marvel to DC in recent years. In doing so, I've learned that that's the real battle in comics. I was always really into Marvel as a kid because there was a period there where Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and The Incredible Hulk filled my Saturday mornings (I never had much of an opportunity to watch after school).

As I got older, I guess my fantasies became more realistic? I used to dream of being Spider-Man, but a radioactive spider bite will give you cancer. Cosmic rays will probably give you cancer. Getting caught in a gamma bomb blast will kill you dead.

But, while I will never be Superman, I could potentially train myself to peak mental and physical condition. I could receive a magic ring from space. People survive lightning strikes and chemical spills all the time Razz

But this brings me to the Batman/Superman debate. None of us can ever be Superman, but every person wants to. He's a gladiator, a model, a God. He's the ideal. Anyone has the potential to become like Batman, but how many of us would really want to pay the cost that sent him down that path?

I dunno, I just woke up.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 26 2015 07:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would argue with the idea that Superman is the ideal, if only because his personality is a little too bland for me to idealize him.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 27 2015 03:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
I would argue with the idea that Superman is the ideal, if only because his personality is a little too bland for me to idealize him.

Out of curiosity, Cameron, what Superman comics are you familiar with? Some incarnations are blander than others, for sure, but in general I find that many of the "Superman isn't interesting" detractors haven't read a whole lot of Superman.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 27 2015 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Out of curiosity, Cameron, what Superman comics are you familiar with? Some incarnations are blander than others, for sure, but in general I find that many of the "Superman isn't interesting" detractors haven't read a whole lot of Superman.

Admittedly I'm not well-versed in Superman, but I've read a lot of my dad's Vol. 2 comics from the late 80s and early 90s (especially the Death of Superman arc). I probably shouldn't be complaining about it because the series clearly isn't written for me, but I just found the dialogue between Superman and virtually everyone else relatively poor, and I just remember wishing the whole time that Mxyzptlk would just kick his ass. It was a long time ago when I read it, but I haven't felt any compulsion whatsoever to return to it.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 27 2015 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh, Death of Superman is absolutely awful. If that was your introduction, I wouldn't blame you for hating the character. It was a dark time for Superman. If you ever get curious and think to yourself, "Huh, why do people seem like Superman? I guess I'll give it one more shot," I highly recommend Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Sep 28 2015 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Or Loeb and Sale's Superman For All Seasons. I personally thoroughly enjoyed The Death of Superman arc, and it got me into Superman. Admittedly though, I'm pretty sure it was other stories that got me to really become a fan.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 28 2015 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a lot of nostalgia for Death of Superman, because I was the right age when it came out that all comics were awesome, and when I was a kid I thought that Steel and 90s Superboy were freaking awesome. Looking back at it, though, I don't think it holds up at all. I haven't read Superman For All Seasons. I'll give it look next time I'm in a comic buying mood and don't have anything in mind.
Reply to topic

Jump to: