SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Hail, Caesar

Reply to topic
LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 07 2016 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Any other Coen Brothers fans out there on Sydlexia?

I just went to see Hail, Caesar a couple nights ago. I thought that some of the individual scenes were some of the funniest things I've ever seen, but it did not hold up for me as a single coherent film in the slightest. That said, I thought the same thing about Lebowski when that first came out, so I'm willing to watch it again and hope it grows on me.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 07 2016 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's on my to-watch list and, of the two reviews I've listened to, one loved it and the other felt that it was more like a nearly-unrelated string of events that, while funny in some parts (like Mannix discussing what might be offensive to the religious people)., falls flat as an entire movie.

As for the Coen brothers' filmography, the only ones I've seen are Raising Arizona (can't really remember it), O Brother Where Art Thou, (I think) The Man Who Wasn't There, The Ladykillers, No Country for Old Men and True Grit.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 08 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of my Coen brothers-loving friends have said it's decent, but nowhere near one of their best works. I'll probably Redbox it when it comes out on DVD.

My personal Coen brothers Power Rankings:
1. No Country for Old Men
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Miller's Crossing
4. Raising Arizona
5. A Serious Man
6. Inside Llewyn Davis
7. Barton Fink
8. True Grit
9. Fargo
10.Burn After Reading

I haven't seen:
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Ladykillers
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Man Who Wasn't There
Blood Simple
Intolerable Cruelty
Hail, Caesar!

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 08 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Cameron"]A couple of my Coen brothers-loving friends have said it's decent, but nowhere near one of their best works. I'll probably Redbox it when it comes out on DVD./quote]

I don't know if you're a cinephile or not Cam, but if nothing else, this movie was absolutely beautifully shot. I'm probably going to see it in theatres a second time, just because it looked so good. If that's something you care about, I wouldn't wait for Redbox.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 10 2016 03:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
I don't know if you're a cinephile or not Cam, but if nothing else, this movie was absolutely beautifully shot. I'm probably going to see it in theatres a second time, just because it looked so good. If that's something you care about, I wouldn't wait for Redbox.

Admittedly, it isn't.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Dec 23 2017 07:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually bought it on Bluray because i missed it in theaters and i have watched it twice.

Unique little movie but it didn't really blow me away.
It's one of the weaker Coen movies, considering they brought us masterpieces like "A Serious Man" or "Oh Brother where art thou?!".
Still it presents some interesting ideas and characters , also the camerawork is superb as i remember it.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

lakshya
PostPosted: Mar 17 2018 06:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I like a horror movies.
mksharma
PostPosted: Aug 02 2018 02:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

It also discusses the parts of the brain that deal with various tasks, such as identifying colors, and why dyslexia is considered a disability. 
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jul 07 2021 07:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw this about a year after it came out and while I'd say The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was an infinitely better movie, it just falls under the same unimpressive pattern that the Coens have provided for a little over the last decade. I would easily say that Hail Caesar was by far their worst movie. Both Caesar and Ballad both seem like attempts to put fully developed ideas to motion by just scaling them into a segment instead of fleshing the idea to full fruition. As an example, they have a pretty good dance number in Caesar, but in the grand scheme of things, it means absolutely nothing. The worst disservice was underwriting the characters, which seems to be a trait of the Coens anymore, there was just nothing worth mentioning about any of them.

This is disappointing since that used to be their best attribute when you look at movies like Bloodsimple, Fargo, Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona and even NCFOM, which I didn't care for.

Here you just have a movie with a bunch of silly characters and a main protagonist who doesn't attain any sympathy or reason to care. Even some of the gags could've used work, as an example when the briefcase is dropped in the water due to Tatum catching his dog. It would've gotten a better reaction if the briefcase throw came up massively short instead. Other scenes go on for too long like Fiennes speaking to Ehrenreich about his accent, it goes on far too long. Ehrenreich's character is rather annoying in general and it feels like they recycled him for Buster Scruggs, for the better I guess, but even that I think would've worked better in a different role.

I guess the one takeaway from all this is it's just a bunch of ideas thrown together with not much else to connect them, plus I just really hated all the characters. Hopefully the Coens will recourse themselves and figure something out in their next movie.
Reply to topic

Jump to: